A cow with problems?

Help Support CattleToday:

DitchBank

Reaction score
The smorning when I went to feed my cows one of them didn't get up to eat she layed at the bottome end of the field and finally after yelling at her for a minute she slowly made her way up to eat but didn't end up eating much. She has seperated herself from the herd (not very far) but has not layed down since the smorning at 9:00am and it is now 10:00pm. She just went out and stood in the middle of the field, the rest of the cows are laying down now but she is still standing up almost in the same spot, I once saw her try to sit down but she never quite got there. She has a big bag and when you look at her head on as I have been told she is not as fat anymore (she was a lot fatter the day before), dose this mean the calf is positioning to come out? Also her back end is not swollen I have 2 other cows due to calf within the next week or so that have very swollen vulvas. She is not loose in the back at all. It just dosen't look like the calf will come out if it starts coming now. Do all cows have to be swollen on there back end for the calf to come out easily? And is it a bad sign that she isn't swollen for the calf to come because I think it's coming?

i got an old cow she's swelled up and bagged up the calf turned about 2weeks ago and she been acting weird for 2weeks ,maybe you will get lucky and have calf in the next couple of days i been waitin 2weeks and just about fed up waiting!

So do you think the calf has turned?

You have an Illinoise logo there, you a Deron Williams fan?

Let's try to keep this on topic but just asken.

Something is wrong ~ this is not normal behavior. Do you have access to a vet? I am not so much concerned that she is not swollen in back, maybe she is not ready to calf real soon. Regardless of whether or not she is in labor, her behavior is very atypical. You need to have a vet out. I am not "The sky is falling type" just think this cow needs medical attention. Soon.

This cow seems somewhat normal to me based on what we have seen. They normally isolate themselves from the rest of the herd until calving. Would this happen to be a heifer?? I have had heifers that were not springing much when they calved. We have a cow now that really does not get very sloppy in the vulva at all and has a healthy calf every year.

I personally don't think there is much to worry about and....nothing better than putting your fears to rest by asking your vet.

How close have you been when you are seeing her just standing there??? She didn't already calve did she?? Standing and protecting her calf??

anytime you have a cow that looks like she is due and is not acting right(like this one is) , i like to bring them up and put them in chute and put an arm in to see if i can feel if that calf is coming frontwards or backwards. sometimes in backward calfs, they just don't have much labor and don't act the way you expect a cow in labor to act. this way, if you have a normal presentation, you can turn her out and breath easy and wait. it really is a hard call, cause some cows, take a long time to finally shift in gear and start labor., when in doubt, find out., i hate to lose calves.

Yes this is a hiefer. Today she seems a lot better I really don't know what to make of it. I know this calf is going to be a little big because a Black Bally bull jumped the fence and bred her so I am worried that she is not swollen but dose it make a difference?

DitchBank":3920vz1a said:
Yes this is a hiefer. Today she seems a lot better I really don't know what to make of it. I know this calf is going to be a little big because a Black Bally bull jumped the fence and bred her so I am worried that she is not swollen but dose it make a difference?

We had almost the same thing happen a few times w/heifers. All delivered perfectly healthy calves. If you think the calf will be large you might be prepared to help her deliver. I agree with checking her out just to make yourself feel better. If you don't have the facilities to restrain her while checking her yourself...it couldn't hurt to talk to your vet. Lots of luck.:cboy: