A couple of the Galloway boys

Help Support CattleToday:

A current pic of Moto Moto, current weight 1700 +

Moto_120213.jpg

He was collected early, then used on heifers and cows summer of 2013.

:clap:
More pics.
That stance doesn't show him as well as I imagine he is.

( easy for me to say more pics. 80 degrees and partly sunny here today)

Very impressive!! When I was a boy they said the largest herd of Registered gallaway's in the US was near Richey Mt. My Dad and Uncle were cattle traders and bought cattle everywhere and usually got the yearlings out of the galloway ranch. They were very small and did'nt do to well in the feedlots at that time,so when I see what you have and have done with them its great. They can make a liveing where other cattle will starve and like Highlanders can and will graze headon into a snowstorm. There are;nt any left here that I know of.

Beef Man":2l4kfxod said:
Very impressive!! When I was a boy they said the largest herd of Registered gallaway's in the US was near Richey Mt. My Dad and Uncle were cattle traders and bought cattle everywhere and usually got the yearlings out of the galloway ranch. They were very small and did'nt do to well in the feedlots at that time,so when I see what you have and have done with them its great. They can make a liveing where other cattle will starve and like Highlanders can and will graze headon into a snowstorm. There are;nt any left here that I know of.
Thanks.

You are correct. Unfortunately for the breed, the breeders were sometimes their own worst enemies.
Thanks for the comments. The Galloway breed has had to overcome many stereotypes. The Galloways did not open up their herd book to "improve" the breed, like 99% of the rest. It takes a long time to make wide sweeping changes, when you can't just interject new blood from a different breed.

I am glad we held firm. This is one of the reasons we are seeing renewed interest. We have profitable characteristics, and are a complete outcross.

more pics are available on our website, and Facebook page.

Thanks,

Harley Blegen

I'm pretty sure you are right about keeping the breed pure as I once thought that our breed would'nt become diluted[herefords] but they [exotics and red holstein] came in the backdoor and were brought in by some of the old reputible[??] breeders. They did'nt do us as seedstock producers a bit of good and are just one other thing to watch out for. Oh well its something to keep a legitamit breeder on his toes and you sure learn to study long pedigrees and certan operations. Very happy to see such good cattle and learn that they are still pure.

jaimefloresh":297ye5n7 said:
How do you think, Galloway will work for terminal with brangus and braford cows.

There is a post on here about a Brahma X Galloway, from Australia.
I wouldn't use them as a terminal cross. Galloway is a maternal breed. Galloway females are efficient, long lived care free type of cows. Galloways do very well in rough country with high elevation.

Semen is available in Mexico, through Genex, or us directly.

Rahe Family Belties":35vw4r7m said:
Using a Galloway on your Brangus cows will sure make some hairy Brangus steers for those Texas/southern majors!
Yup but the prefect cows are already running in the Deep South and I'm sure it is not a Galloway or a Galloway cross.

Latest posts