A break from winter here in Australia.

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
We've had about a weeks break from the frosts. Had just over an inch (25mls) of rain over that week. Sure beats the frosts even if the cattle yards are muddy. We have about 6/7 weeks to go before we are reasonably out of the frost period barring a sneaky one. We still haven't had any cold windy take your breath away days yet. August is usually the real windy month,but sometimes it can linger on though into September. Our cattle look the best they have for years at this time of the year. The cows are calving fine. Our bulls go out next weekend.

i cant even think bout cold!! HOT last wk we had 109F for our high 70s would sure heck be nice

Colin
I'm curious - does anyone in Australia get the cold snowy winter that the upper midwest does?
I know I could look it up - but why when we have a local to tell us the real story.
Moved about 400 miles south a year ago and it sure changed the weather - summer is hotter but winter - oh that was nice - it was cold but not nearly as long and not nearly as brutle (sp?)

no no one gets the very heavy snowfalls that the US or Canada get. The only heavy snow is in the Australian Alps and in the middle of Tasmania. That snow only lasts about 3/4 months if they are lucky. its only a recreational area,skiing etc. If it snows in the eastern ranges (the mountains that run down Australia's eastern side) it generally only lasts about 2/3 days at best. The last time that it snowed so heavily that there were drifts for a week was way back in 1984. We are at the top end of the ranges in New South Wales state. Usually by the time it snows to our south about 80 or so miles away the change has gone before it gets to us. Only the higher peaks around us get a dusting. We don't have anything like the beautiful Rocky Mountains. Our country is still beautiful though. Today is a magnificent Spring like day (about 19 celcius) should be more like 10/12c. Theres a green tinge even now. but it will get cold again.
Colin

Latest posts