A big Steer..............

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
The seven-year-old behemoth named Knickers is believed to be the biggest in Australia and one of the tallest in the world, measuring 194cm (6ft 4in) to his shoulders and weighing more than 1,400kg (3,000lbs).

Knickers is so big, double the weight and half a metre taller than an average Holstein Friesian steer, that he was too big to be slaughtered in an abattoir and made into steaks, so he will live out his life as king of the herd.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... etite.html

6733016-6436599-image-a-150_1543387403273.jpg

He's only 3,000 lbs. Big yes but really not that big. He is in a herd of itty bitty cows which makes him look like a giant.

They look like yearling Wagyu steers. Many of the holstein oxen that I used to see in New England at the different fairs would weigh over 2500 lbs. And we sold a bull a few years ago that weighed over 2400. The Chianina's that a friend used for oxen were over 6 ft at the shoulder. He was 6'3" and you could barely see his hair from the other side. But in that picture he makes you think of a giant.

A neighbor had a Holstein steer that was crazy and busted through the gates and fences every time they tried to load him so he stayed there for quite a few years. When he finally did get rid of him he was as tall or maybe taller than my dad (my dad's 6'3) and over 3000

My boys and I watched a holstein bull being loaded out at the sale barn a few year ago. Biggest dam thing I've ever seen. It was being loaded into a normal aluminum trailer with a swing out door. The top of the trailer only cleared the bulls back by a couple inches. I have a crappy cell phone pic somewhere I need to dig out. I wish I had a better camera phone at the time, I doubt I ever see one like it again.

The other thing I recall was that he took every step like it hurt. It took them forever to walk him around because he was so slow moving.

My wife saw this on facebook and showed me, the caption on the video was that he weighed over a ton. I told her that we have had a few cows in the past that weighed over a ton. But the 6'4'' is taller than I have ever seen.

sstterry":r1jlojqu said:
My wife saw this on facebook and showed me, the caption on the video was that he weighed over a ton. I told her that we have had a few cows in the past that weighed over a ton. But the 6'4'' is taller than I have ever seen.
Bingo! There's a fine line between pride & embarrassment when the auctioneer at the sale barn announces your cull cow clocks in at 2100 lbs. 6'4" is impressive but I remember a couple years back on Facebook about the tallest cow (also a Holstein) that was 6'2".

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... t-cow-ever

tater74":jzm3mug6 said:

10ft at the horns, that is very impressive, would love to have seen him. The op steer is not to far from me, might have to take a drive and see if i can find him. I had a holstien angus steer that was 5'10" at the shoulder and thought that was big, he was hard to get through the saleyards because nothing is designed for that size. Although he only weighed 1800 pounds. But he was the talk of the saleyards that day anyway so had his 15 minutes of fame.

The wife and I saw a steer at the sale in Buffalo TX come through that weighed out at 3100 lb. It drew a lot of oohs and awes when it was let in the ring. It had been someones pet and was as tame as a puppy. Not sure of its breeding, it was a medium red colored hide. It was a giant animal and not overly fat. I would like to see the rib eyes off of it.

In the 80's and early 90's wasn't too uncommon to see some Charolais Bulls weighing 3000-3200. I remember seeing a bull that was displayed fairly often at some of the regional sales that I believe was 6' hip height and weighed over 3000 lbs. He was a big rascal for sure. When I sold my Charolais cows several of them weighed 1800 or a little over. Pounded out a Hereford cow last year that didn't like much going 1900 lbs. couldn't believe that one but I knew she was big. I know the full blood Chianinas back then were huge I seen tall Charolais but those Chi's were significantly taller. Some of those Chi cows had to weigh well over a ton.

TCRanch":3pgihfo7 said:
sstterry":3pgihfo7 said:
tater74":3pgihfo7 said:
Why would anyone have a 16-year-old steer?
My best friend has an 8 year old steer that's essentially nothing more than yard art. He's a giant dork but she just can't get rid of him.
We had a bottle baby a few years ago that the boss adopted, dang near killed myself cutting wood to keep him warm all winter in the shop, followed her everywhere, on her walks, mowing the yard etc. I sold him and lost I don't know how much, but I'll bet he still hasn't made it to 600 lbs,LOL.

It's been years since I've seen it, but a friend of mine keeps this steer as a novelty, it was over 2500 last time it was weighed years ago. His name is 'Crackerjack' it has Holstein, Longhorn and Watusi in it.

Saw a Holstein bull in the sales barn the other day that was 2600lbs and as tall as the ring..

Latest posts