A 3way cross for 3waycross

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
A three way cross heifer posed for me. A gelbvieh x angus x jersey :). She is kinda purty anyway.

IMG00116-20110530-1336.jpg

Yeah. I have a Jersey nurse cow that had a heifer from my Balancer bull. She became sort of a pet so I kept her around. When she got old enough to breed she was hanging around the pens when I was synching up some cows to breed so I just synched her up for additional practice. The calf is out of a Balancer named Carolina 5423P. This little heifer is a ham and has taken up with my walking horse mare. I like the ones with personality.

I can see the Jersey in her ears and muzzle. She looks like a nice heifer though, very feminine . :D As far as milk I really wouldn't worry about her ,I have a Holstein/RA/GV cross heifer that calved this year and she is not a hard keeper at all. She is raising a really nice heifer calf ,she was my heifer that calved 3 weeks early at the age of 21 months old.

HOSS":rwykug53 said:
Yeah. I have a Jersey nurse cow that had a heifer from my Balancer bull. She became sort of a pet so I kept her around. When she got old enough to breed she was hanging around the pens when I was synching up some cows to breed so I just synched her up for additional practice. The calf is out of a Balancer named Carolina 5423P

So a registered Balancer?

HOSS":3lz4b7ng said:
Yeah. I have a Jersey nurse cow that had a heifer from my Balancer bull. She became sort of a pet so I kept her around. When she got old enough to breed she was hanging around the pens when I was synching up some cows to breed so I just synched her up for additional practice. The calf is out of a Balancer named Carolina 5423P. This little heifer is a ham and has taken up with my walking horse mare. I like the ones with personality.
HOSS-
As you can see by running her pedigree, she is in a prime Angus or Gelbvieh (Balancer) genetic position to make a possibly terrific matron either as a cross-bred producer, or as a recipient by mating her to either an Angus or Gelbvieh "TERMINAL"
sire. By selecting the sire(s) for Multiple Traits focusing on CED, WW, $EN, and $W (Weaned Calf Value), you can concentrate on the cow size remaining moderate, and still expect the Milk EPD to be reasonable (through the Jersey influence, and Marbling to be optimal. THAT result (the 5th generation ) should make a spectacular TERMINAL Donor. That is one way to blend Multiple Trait breeding choices.

DOC HARRIS

Careful with those Jersey influenced females Hoss. Here is a picture of one of my Dad's cows.
K31.jpg

Dad LOVES this cow family and when selling purebred GELBVIEH seedstock it proves to be a challenge. She started from a Jersey base six generations ago and this girl is in her working clothes at age 11. I try to breed the cows from this cow family black and "hide" the Jersey, but it gives calves with light colored muzzles like your female. Have two black females in the herd from the same cow family and when they have red calves, they look just like this old girl. Can't wait until Dad isn't looking so I can get rid off these cows! :D

CKSGelbvieh":3th6by2k said:
Careful with those Jersey influenced females Hoss. Here is a picture of one of my Dad's cows.
K31.jpg

Dad LOVES this cow family and when selling purebred GELBVIEH seedstock it proves to be a challenge. She started from a Jersey base six generations ago and this girl is in her working clothes at age 11. I try to breed the cows from this cow family black and "hide" the Jersey, but it gives calves with light colored muzzles like your female. Have two black females in the herd from the same cow family and when they have red calves, they look just like this old girl. Can't wait until Dad isn't looking so I can get rid off these cows! :D

CKS Gelbvieh-

You are right in your prospectus of selling PUREBRED GELBVIEH seedstock! However, we are talking here about "3way cross" protocols, and that is an entirely different mating selection operation. You must compare apples with apples, Balancers with Balancers, and 3way crosses with 3way crosses. That is a "whole 'nuther thing"! The ultimate goals of each breeding program are agenda's of their own.

DOC HARRIS

Stocker Steve":hwzxxcn9 said:
HOSS":hwzxxcn9 said:
Yeah. I have a Jersey nurse cow that had a heifer from my Balancer bull. She became sort of a pet so I kept her around. When she got old enough to breed she was hanging around the pens when I was synching up some cows to breed so I just synched her up for additional practice. The calf is out of a Balancer named Carolina 5423P

So a registered Balancer?

Yes. 5423P is a calving ease bull so since I had the extra semen I figured what the heck. This little calfs momma was a heifer at the time and the calving ease would only help.

CKSGelbvieh":2cup85sz said:
K31.jpg

Looks like a heavy milking limi... maybe you need to switch to a team with light colored muzzles :cboy:

Latest posts