930 case

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
Im going to buy a 930 case tractor for a chore tractor want to put a front end loader on it--tractor was completely restored a few years ago going to pay --1850.00 for it .All I can see it needs is batteries and I believe it needs break work ,any imput on these tractors would be appreciated

carl

SOmething sounds wrong for that price?

I know there is no loader but that tractor shouldbe at least $ 4000 - 5000.00?

My neighbor has the same tractor and it is a little light for lifting bales.

Check with the dealer and find out what brakes will run. I had an old International that needed brakes. They're interior at the housing and cost a bunch to pull the axles.

dun

Carlos D.":1vrlni9h said:
Im going to buy a 930 case tractor for a chore tractor want to put a front end loader on it--tractor was completely restored a few years ago going to pay --1850.00 for it .All I can see it needs is batteries and I believe it needs break work ,any imput on these tractors would be appreciated

carl

Carlos D They are a decent tractor for its age ...check the condition of the fan blades..They had trouble with blades breaking off and going through the rad many yrs ago.. is it an 8 spd, round or square fender..

Its priced about right.

Carlos, I've run 730/830/930 Case tractors my whole life and don't think there is a tougher tractor that was ever made. A few things come to mind:

1) The seals on the power steering ram will give up the ghost. Depending on how much you use the tractor and how heavy your bales are, this may happen once a year. It costs about $100 to have it rebuilt. If you haven't had time to rebuild the ram, and its giving you trouble, feel free to stuff motor oil into the power steering pump. Its only a stop gap, but it'll get you by.

2) Most people don't realize that the water pump has a grease nipple on it. Give it 1 shot of grease every hundred hours or so. And keep an eye on it. If its starting to get loose, get the pump changed out immediately. Since the fan runs very close to the rad, if the bearing on the pump goes out, it'll take the rad and fan with it. Rads and fans are nearly impossible to find.

3) The couplers occasionally give up. You'll need to replace the short hoses and put aftermarket couplers on it. Just switching the couplers out is tough, as the couplers have a special Case thread. You can convert the threads if you get lucky and find old stock thread converters, but they're not made anymore. And if you do find them, they're likely going to cost more than replacing the foot long hoses (where they connect to the tractor are standard swivels).

4) Rough ride. The 930 Case was called a Comfort King, and I can't think of a less apt name for a tractor. They're a short bodied tractor, so you'll feel every single little mole hole in the field.

5) Check the bushing on the front axle swivel. If the tractor has never been used as a loader tractor, its probably ok. You'll want to check it every year or two once you start using it as a loader. Its not a real difficult thing to change, but if you let it go, it'll wear the swivel on the axle.

6) If the engine and hydraulic pump are in good shape, $1850 is about right, if maybe a couple hundred bucks lower than most (I usually see round fendered 930s selling for $2000 - $2400). The hydraulic pump should be sitting at 1900 PSI. If the pump is on its way out, leave the tractor sitting. Its $1500 for a reman pump, if you can find it.

7) Something you may want to consider doing: Pull the front axle and transplant the steering axle from a combine on it. The power steering pump will give enough pressure to run a ram. My 930 is hitting into the shop this winter, and I'm transplanting the power steering assembly from an 8600 White combine.

8) A must do: Put a good grill guard on it thats attached either to the loader or to the front subframe. The rad attaches to the sheet metal, and if you bump the front grill against a trailer when you're loading bales, it'll probably drive the rad back into fan blade. This is a nightmare to fix as it'll bugger up the rad, the fan, and likely the water pump. Please don't ask me how I know this. :oops:

9) Keep the clutch brake adjusted. Its not often that I've had to do it, but without the clutch brake, changing gears is difficult.

I think thats about it. Hope it helps.

Rod

Thanks guys --thats info is right on what I was looking for OK I've bought the tractor,I picked up a real heavy loader for 300 dollars found a cab that I think will workfor 200 its got a broken glass I'll have to get the hutterites to install it for me. Years ago I bought a lot of beer for them I didn't know it would be such a good investment.

carl

oh diamond s
do you know anything about the cab that is required--thanks much

Something I forgot: there should be a front weight in front of the rad (behind the grill). It'll be held in with a large bolt. Pull that thing outta there, and it'll help with the heavy steering. That'll drop over a hundred pounds from the front end.

On the cab front, what did you need to know exactly? All of my 7/8/930s have used a really crummy Superior cab. Its just barely better than no cab at all :) The late model build 932s actually used the cab from a 970 on them, and they were very nice with real AC. The swamp cooler on the 930 cabs didn't work very well at all.

Rod

Well I've got the loader mounted --pretty heavy loader with quick unlock detach. total installed 900 cash pretty happy with that.
--put 2 new batteries in it --bought them from frieghtliner seems like excellent warranty
--picked up a pretty good cab

question ---is the hydraulic filter on the right side of the rear houseing --how do you put hyd.oil in I put 3 gallons in through the dip stick hole ---got to be a better way

I have to do break work --any suggestions what to expect
Oh and thanks diamond s --I took out that big wieght on the front end

thanks carl

Well I've got the loader mounted --pretty heavy loader with quick unlock detach. total installed 900 cash pretty happy with that.
--put 2 new batteries in it --bought them from frieghtliner seems like excellent warranty
--picked up a pretty good cab

question ---is the hydraulic filter on the right side of the rear houseing --how do you put hyd.oil in I put 3 gallons in through the dip stick hole ---got to be a better way

Oh and thanks diamond s --I took out that big wieght on the front end

thanks carl

Carlos D.":2fcxbxfi said:

Hydraulic filter is under a round cover about four inches deep on the right side of the housing. You'll probably need to pull the battery, unless someone converted to a single 12 volt and mounted it on the left side.

As for filling, buy yourself a pump that fits a 20 litre pail. That lil hole is your only option. Someone told me there was a breather under the platform you could access, but I was never able to find it.

If your rams are a good size, overfill the hydraulic reservoir by a couple litres. At full stroke on big rams, you'll drain the hydraulic system enough that it won't show on the dipstick. I actually normally fill mine right up to the top of the hole.

On the brake side, you're on your own. Report what you run into though, k? I've gotta do mine one of these days. :lol:

As a side note, yesterdaystractors.com is a good source for info on your 930. Watch the posters though, as some confuse the 730/830 and assume they're the same as a 930, which isn't true in all cases. Early build 730/830s were different in the rearend/hydraulic area. Also, there are several excellent service manuals available for that tractor. It may be worth your time to toss 20 or 30 bucks at one. I have the original Case issue I&T manual that the Case dealers used. If you need info from it, feel free to ask away.

Rod

I run a Case 830 narrow front end for haybine, baler, brush cutter, etc. Nice old tractor. Been there done that on the water pump going out. :( Glad to hear there are some old case guys out there besides me, everyone around here bleeds green.

Latest posts