88 chevy problems

Help Support CattleToday:

Diehard40

Reaction score
Got an 88 chevy 1500 4x4 that i use mainly for farm work and to haul stuff on occasion.
It stopped on me a few weeks ago and it sounded just like fuel pump problem. So i replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition coil, fuel pump relay, and checked fuel pump fuse. Any one got any other ideas. I'm stomped.

you need to determine if it is a fuel problem or firing problem , sounds like firing problem, probably in your electronic ignition system or computer, need to have a scan done on it or you will spend a lot of money replacing parts by trial and error

One thing i did learn from the movie Sling Blade is to check the gas.

If I put some gas in the carb it does fire just doesn't have enough gas to keep it going. I pulled the injectors and they had fuel in them.
Could it be the filters on the injectors? they didn't look too bad. or could it be the fuel pressure regulator?

Or it could be ignition module?

I just hate paying a mechanic, not to mention i would have to pay to have it hauled in.

but it may be cheaper in long run

Ignition control module will stop you dead in your tracks. There is a simple way to check it with a multi -meter. Get yourself a Haynes Repair Manual at Auto Zone or O'Reillys. I have one for every vehichle I own. They about $25-$30 bucks, but they can save you a lot more than they cost.

If you're getting fire, my guess would be that its fuel related.although I had a intermittent problem with a '90 chevy v-6 that we replaced almost everything electrical on and finally found the problem by accident. It was a broken connector on the temperature sensor that somehow was making it lose fire intermttently.

cowsrus,
I've got one and it has been worth every dollar spent on it.
ignition module is where i'm leaning now.

You should check for fuel line pressure. If it is there then your fuel is ok.

The injectors should pulse on and can be checked with a neon made for the purpose .

Todays cars it seems you need these two tools and learn how to use them

Spark is another matter and I'm trying to learn that atm.

Latest posts