85 MPH Speed Limit?

Help Support CattleToday:

I think that it is stupid. It is a known fact that the numbers of accidents increase with speed.

Besides no one really follows the speed limit anyway. Around here the people drive 80+ in a 70 mph zone. So I guess that they will now be going well over 90.

I may be a woos, but when I pull a trailer, very rarely will I go over 70. I don't feel comfortable going fast.

At my age I just don't have the "nads" to drive that fast....went out I-10 toward Ft. Stockton last year and it as 80 mph.....I never passed a car...they all passed me and I mean quickly. :shock:

highgrit":hzsabgkf said:
Just make it an even 100mph. When I travel I like to get there. The old Cub can fly 85mph.
I'm with ya, me and Angus Cowman usually stay above 90 in the pimped out VW Beetle on our way to visit Hook in Fla. of course we have to keep the windows down to drown out CBs jabbering in the back seat.

I think the safest speed is the one you feel comfortable with and that is not the same for everybody. It is not even the same speed all the time for an individual.
I like the idea of 85 on a road that can handle it well. Would sure save me from having to fool with the radar detector.
Seems to me that below 85 a lot of state troopers and deputies pass me at what I figure to be 85 plus.

That 55 mph speed was a plot against the citizens. Frustration cannot make for good driving.
That CB radio an hour every am and pm almost drove me to road rage.

Our National speed limit is 70mph across the Country, but the powers that be don't go and check these roads it would seem, as there are some that are well equipped to do be able to take this speed that are not registered for it, and a few that are that can't take it. But it doesn't matter what the speed limit is there will always be those that flout the law and over do the speed.

TexasBred":3a3ykcss said:
At my age I just don't have the "nads" to drive that fast....went out I-10 toward Ft. Stockton last year and it as 80 mph.....I never passed a car...they all passed me and I mean quickly. :shock:

Don't worry you can pass me I will be in the slow lane clicking along at 65. That way we can look at the body bag's when we pass by 10 minute's later.

Isomade":1y7xl33a said:
highgrit":1y7xl33a said:
Just make it an even 100mph. When I travel I like to get there. The old Cub can fly 85mph.
I'm with ya, me and Angus Cowman usually stay above 90 in the pimped out VW Beetle on our way to visit Hook in Fla. of course we have to keep the windows down to drown out CBs jabbering in the back seat.

CB is not going to be in the back seat of a wheel chock (VW bug) without one heck of a fight.
Secondly you will be in the dog crate in the bed of an F-250 or the trunk of a Chevy Impala and we might just have to arrange an exhaust leak.
I am not in that big of a hurry to get anywhere all that speed is going to do is put more tombstone's in the cementary.

"If you ain't first.......you are last"- Ricky Bobby

We have a 70mph limit here but if you have ever driven through Nashville, TN. you know you have to drive 85mph just to keep from getting run over by a big rig. I don't mind fast drivers, I can be that way myself, it is the unsafe drivers that concern me. Some of those get on the interstate and try to merge into 70+ mph traffic doing 35.

I would love 85 on some roads. My car has a mind of it's own sometimes on the interstate, so I wouldn't have to be so worried when I looked down to see 90 on my speedometer :oops:

Back a few years ago I flew into Albuquerque and rented a car to Santa Fe. The speed limit was 80 and I hadn't driven that fast since I was in a patrol car (18 years). It took a while before my cheeks quit squeezing the seat and I finally set the cruise and relaxed a bit. Don't know that I want to do that now.

slick4591":cqgpitbf said:
Back a few years ago I flew into Albuquerque and rented a car to Santa Fe. The speed limit was 80 and I hadn't driven that fast since I was in a patrol car (18 years). It took a while before my cheeks quit squeezing the seat and I finally set the cruise and relaxed a bit. Don't know that I want to do that now.

Yea and I used to run 100mph + in a 69 GTO, I am a he[[ of a lot smarter or more scared now.

I don't think I have anything that will run 85 for very long, but I'm sure my better half is gonna find out for me.

It ain't the fast driving that bothers me so much--it's the fast stopping. That 85 to zero is gonna be a neck jerker.

Plenty fast, most of our highways can take that speed. Maybe they ought to make it absolute speed, one mph is ticketed. I know if it is 85, I will set my cruise for 90. Sure hurts when you stop against another car or bridge. Kind of odd, we worry about a 16- 20 yo with a pistol, but we hand them a vehicle that will go 70 to 85 mph and say have fun.

papavillars":1paigxsk said:
Plenty fast, most of our highways can take that speed. Maybe they ought to make it absolute speed, one mph is ticketed. I know if it is 85, I will set my cruise for 90. Sure hurts when you stop against another car or bridge. Kind of odd, we worry about a 16- 20 yo with a pistol, but we hand them a vehicle that will go 70 to 85 mph and say have fun.

Ironic, isn't it. :???:

HOSS":2shr55h5 said:
"If you ain't first.......you are last"- Ricky Bobby

We have a 70mph limit here but if you have ever driven through Nashville, TN. you know you have to drive 85mph just to keep from getting run over by a big rig. I don't mind fast drivers, I can be that way myself, it is the unsafe drivers that concern me. Some of those get on the interstate and try to merge into 70+ mph traffic doing 35.
why i avoid, Hotlanta all i can.... dammit, those people want to get home awful bad.....