High speed crash

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
I wish I had it on video... it was "OMG.. are they really going to hit head on?.. YEP"..

The calves were playing particularly vigorously tonight at dusk, two of them were barreling at top speed, coming at each other from about 11 o'clock... they didn't see the other one until they were about 5 feet away from each other.. all they had time to do was turn their head a little to the side.. it was a mighty crash, it actually nearly sounded like a bone broke, there was a loud crack, they fell on the ground and got back up a bit dazed.. that was enough playing for those two... Thankfully they didn't break anything, they're all just fine now.. .Wonder if they'll start looking where they're going now

Nesikep":b9o6wsr2 said:
I wish I had it on video... it was "OMG.. are they really going to hit head on?.. YEP"..

The calves were playing particularly vigorously tonight at dusk, two of them were barreling at top speed, coming at each other from about 11 o'clock... they didn't see the other one until they were about 5 feet away from each other.. all they had time to do was turn their head a little to the side.. it was a mighty crash, it actually nearly sounded like a bone broke, there was a loud crack, they fell on the ground and got back up a bit dazed.. that was enough playing for those two... Thankfully they didn't break anything, they're all just fine now.. .Wonder if they'll start looking where they're going now
I doubt they'll catch on. We have a heifer that runs with her head half way down. I don;t know how many times I've watched her try to catch up with momma and run full tilt into momma.

They are entertaining to watch at that age aren't they?
I watched a couple last week for a few minute, one would take off running, stop and look back and the other would go running to meet it. They stood there a minute, and the 1st one would again take off running back where it started, look back at the other and the 2nd would run pellmell to meet it again--almost like they were seeing who could run that distance faster, but yeah, sometimes they do dumb stuff..A "Hold my momma's teat and watch this" kinda thing. .

I'm sure glad they usually don't run that fast as adults.

I have a 6 gallon rubber pail I use for feeding salt, and I put it in a 16" tire, which holds it quite nicely, until it's out of salt. Then they pull the pail out, and start playing with it, and I gotta go look for it 200 yards from where its supposed to be.

What amazes me is how fast they can learn.. Learn to walk, talk, feed yourself, learn about electric fences all in their first hour.

We have the feed bunk about 8 feet from the electric fence, so I can back the hay truck up to it and throw it off.. Now when there are cows eating there, there's not a whole lot of room between them and the fence, there's often some collisions when the calves are playing.. there really should be a 1 way sign on that alley.. Also, as they try and turn that corner, they sometimes slip on a cowpie too

:lol2: :lol2: I would love to have seen that!

I've had one or two run head-long into one of the power poles out in the fields. I've never witnessed a head-on collision, calf to calf. I did see one with horses once, years ago. 2 of them were chasing each other around a giant MF rose bush that had a path cut out of the middle. Well, as they went round and round, one decided to go through the cut out, at the same time the other decided to do the same thing, it all happened so fast, there was no way to stop it. WHAM, they hit like 2 SUV's, both of them hit the ground. Ultimately theu were okay. It was very funny.