Texas High School Rodeo

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
The finals are in Abilene this week. Is anyone going or know some schoolagers entered?

This don't answer your question, but I pulled my kids from youth rodeo (especially high school/cinch) in the 8th grade. We go to open rodeos, and ropings. The whole "scene" just became more than I could be around. I hope it's different in Texas. Ill add to that, your state finals probably has more talent at it, than nationals. Talent that gets left behind, because they take the top 4.

This don't answer your question, but I pulled my kids from youth rodeo (especially high school/cinch) in the 8th grade. We go to open rodeos, and ropings. The whole "scene" just became more than I could be around. I hope it's different in Texas. Ill add to that, your state finals probably has more talent at it, than nationals. Talent that gets left behind, because they take the top 4.
I don't really follow the High School deal but know several kids that are entered. The main one I follow is more into jack pots, opens and rodeos than the High School Deal. I would imagine everything you said is true though. It's a real shame that politics make their way into High School events. He did have a good run in the team roping this morning 6.09!!

I don't really follow the High School deal but know several kids that are entered. The main one I follow is more into jack pots, opens and rodeos than the High School Deal. I would imagine everything you said is true though. It's a real shame that politics make their way into High School events. He did have a good run in the team roping this morning 6.09!!
Thats an excellent time.

Yes sir. Can't wait to see his time in the calf roping. He won the Jr calf roping in Vegas several years ago but has slacked off to work on heeling. More money in Team roping.

Yes sir. Can't wait to see his time in the calf roping. He won the Jr calf roping in Vegas several years ago but has slacked off to work on heeling. More money in Team roping.
I was personally never around much calf roping til my boy took it up. I really like it, now that I pay attention to it. Says a lot about your horse. Team roping is more of a lifetime activity though.

Bigfoot, I don't get out much and it's been about 50 years since around high school rodeos. What is happening with youth rodeos today?

I was personally never around much calf roping til my boy took it up. I really like it, now that I pay attention to it. Says a lot about your horse. Team roping is more of a lifetime activity though.
When I was 24 I had a bareback bronc step on my leg. It swelled up and cut off the circulation to my foot. First two doctors said they needed to cut it off at the knee. My reply was, "I am too young to be a team roper."

Bigfoot, I don't get out much and it's been about 50 years since around high school rodeos. What is happening with youth rodeos today?
It's hard to explain. I'll make a stab at it. People that don't love the sport, but enjoy the lifestyle associated with it. Constant bickering. Drive the cost through the roof, to accommodate their high taste (renting covered arenas, buckles to an outlandish number places, hireing out what the membership should voluntarily do). A strange sense of entitlement from people. Like knock on your trailer door in the middle of the night, and ask if you'll move so they can be closer to what ever amenity they desire at the time (has happened more than once). Allowing a contestant or contestants to make their runs at an alternate time, because it conflicts with another activity. That's just a taste, but it's constantly something. Oh, and a couple of weeks worth of social media post bashing others after each rodeo. I hope it's not that way every where, but I just couldn't do it anymore.

When I was 24 I had a bareback bronc step on my leg. It swelled up and cut off the circulation to my foot. First two doctors said they needed to cut it off at the knee. My reply was, "I am too young to be a team roper."
Now that gay marriage is legal, theres not nearly as many team ropers.