Why are beef prices so high

Help Support CattleToday:

Raising your selling price has the biggest impact on a company's profit, you can only do so much to cut expenses or selling more product.
Lots of companies in all different industries are doing it which is leading to widespread inflation across many sectors. China is doing this with fertilizer, artificially manipulating the supply to raise the price. The pandemic is a convenient scapegoat that everyone blames.

It's all supply and demand . When you control the supply you can create the demand. The meat packers got hammered with fines ect for price fixing in chicken and pork. So they jack up the price of beef to offset the losses.
Should we be suprised that the price Of nitrogen has gone up and will continue to with the millions of tons of nitrogen now being needed for diesel exhaust fluid.
People need to decide what they want
If you want cleaner exhaust then nitrogen prices will go up forcing food prices up.
If you want electric cars you have to get lithium for the batteries from some where . You can either allow china to manipulate the price and supply or you can stop protesting the mine in Nevada that has one of the largest supplies of lithium in the world.
Same with petroleum prices if you suddenly cut a huge amount from the supply and increase demand prices will go up

It's all supply and demand . When you control the supply you can create the demand. The meat packers got hammered with fines ect for price fixing in chicken and pork. So they jack up the price of beef to offset the losses.
Should we be suprised that the price Of nitrogen has gone up and will continue to with the millions of tons of nitrogen now being needed for diesel exhaust fluid.
People need to decide what they want
If you want cleaner exhaust then nitrogen prices will go up forcing food prices up.
If you want electric cars you have to get lithium for the batteries from some where . You can either allow china to manipulate the price and supply or you can stop protesting the mine in Nevada that has one of the largest supplies of lithium in the world.
Same with petroleum prices if you suddenly cut a huge amount from the supply and increase demand prices will go up
Offsetting losses and tripling your profit margin are contradictory

Why can't buyers bypass me. ?
How am preventing anyone else from bidding??
How much profit should one be legally allowed to make????
Maybe you make it so buyers need to post a bond of a million bucks to get a bidding card? Just make them need an army of people to fill out paperwork to "protect the public" from E coli... there's tons of different ways of making it impossible, those are just a couple

Offsetting losses and tripling your profit margin are contradictory
No they aren't losses in pork and chicken so raise you profit in beef to offset the loss.
Huge conglomerate companies do this all the time.
Many companies own entire production chain One or two divisions loose money this year while on or two make a profit. Next year or two the opposite happens.
Oil is a perfect example some huge companies control the entire production,from exploration,to drilling, to production, to pipeline or trucks transporting to refineries, to refining , to transport pipelines or trucks to transport it to fuel stations to sell.
Of course each of these divisions has there own name and few realize that they are all controlled by the same company

Maybe you make it so buyers need to post a bond of a million bucks to get a bidding card? Just make them need an army of people to fill out paperwork to "protect the public" from E coli... there's tons of different ways of making it impossible, those are just a couple
Posting a bond or filling out paperwork is hardly impossible. In fact packers do it all the time. Many businesses are expensive to start and operate. The fact that you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. It's done all the time.
I acknowledge there's a big problem. But your blaming a business for making a profit. The problem is government regulations. Two choices. Deregulation or total regulation. I know which one I'm for....

How many people on this forum are charging more for their beef than the grocery store? .....damn crooks.

Posting a bond or filling out paperwork is hardly impossible. In fact packers do it all the time. Many businesses are expensive to start and operate. The fact that you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. It's done all the time.
I acknowledge there's a big problem. But your blaming a business for making a profit. The problem is government regulations. Two choices. Deregulation or total regulation. I know which one I'm for....

How many people on this forum are charging more for their beef than the grocery store? .....damn crooks.
Yes, having to post a bond for a million bucks is easy when you're a multi billion dollar company.. that's my point
Must have misunderstood me somewhere along the line.. I do think a lot of this falls squarely on regulatory problems, and businesses do need to make a profit, and there's no hard line that says "this is too much profit"
What I'm scared of is "deregulation" for them while more regulation for everyone else.

If you take the average cut of meat at the average retail price, I think my customers are paying less.. the picture of the roast i posted was in USD, and I'm charging $10 CAD (7.50 USD)/lb cut/wrapped/in your freezer and my last heifer was 510 lbs all said and done, I was happy and my customer was too... It cost me about $500 USD to slaughter/cut/wrap.

Here's a good read on what's happening in the ports, and the monopolies and how they rub each others' backs... and some counter-intuitive things like the megaships and how they're not more efficient... Article actually starts after the first pic

Latest posts