Why are beef prices so high

Help Support CattleToday:

Since this is a fresh cut of meat I would say that part of the price is a built in percentage for "spoilage" to cover when nobody buys it before the sell by date. The retailer doesn't just write off the cost it's passed along to the consumer.
and by doing so they pretty much ensure spoilage

The ribeye roast pictured previously is prime grade at $19.78/pound. I don't know, but suspect that most of the beef sold off farm is choice grade. Current price for Sam's Members Mark Choice ribeye roast is $13.88/pound. Then there is the convenience issue of picking up the roast while shopping for other food and stuff on the same trip.
90% lean ground beef is $3.47/pound. Pork loin is $1.98/pound. Bone in pork chops at $1.33/pound. Boneless skinless chicken breast at $1.99/pound.

Ultimately, consumers drive demand over the long term by the choices they make when purchasing. A good cut of beef is hard to beat, but those price differences relative to pork and chicken seem concerning for the long term.

Why do you think imports will not fill any void left by domestic production?
I think if imports could fill the void they would have already. It takes a lot of land and 2 years to grass feed a cow. Better land will be used for soy and corn.

What we need to focus on is not the packers screwing us and everyone else, it's domestic consumption over all. We have an upfill fight to educate people that beef is healthy and environmentally friendly. The truth is on our side but that hasn't helped so far.

Another issue is the fact that nobody wants to cook. Beef is going to have to find it's way into more of this processed meow mix that kids eat. we need something that can compete with chicken nuggets.

I think if imports could fill the void they would have already. It takes a lot of land and 2 years to grass feed a cow. Better land will be used for soy and corn.

What we need to focus on is not the packers screwing us and everyone else, it's domestic consumption over all. We have an upfill fight to educate people that beef is healthy and environmentally friendly. The truth is on our side but that hasn't helped so far.

Another issue is the fact that nobody wants to cook. Beef is going to have to find it's way into more of this processed meow mix that kids eat. we need something that can compete with chicken nuggets.
I agree with everything but your first sentence.

In 2017 dollars - an imported fed steer is worth $325, that works out to $24 per cwt. A domestic equivalent in 2017 was $1.32.

Yes, having to post a bond for a million bucks is easy when you're a multi billion dollar company.. that's my point
Must have misunderstood me somewhere along the line.. I do think a lot of this falls squarely on regulatory problems, and businesses do need to make a profit, and there's no hard line that says "this is too much profit"
What I'm scared of is "deregulation" for them while more regulation for everyone else.

If you take the average cut of meat at the average retail price, I think my customers are paying less.. the picture of the roast i posted was in USD, and I'm charging $10 CAD (7.50 USD)/lb cut/wrapped/in your freezer and my last heifer was 510 lbs all said and done, I was happy and my customer was too... It cost me about $500 USD to slaughter/cut/wrap.
Would you sell me the ribeyes and tbones for $10 Can and let your customer have the roasts and soup bones?

A business has the right to sell for what it can get and buy for as little as it can.
With the exception of utilities. Do we want agricultural to be considered a utility??.
The Packers have leverage and they use it . Doesn't make them crooks. Every person here has every right to open a meat packing facility. You also have the right to not sell your beef at the price offered. I understand the issue with that but it exists in all business to some extent. The bigger and more established you are the more advantage you have. Upstarts have to fight their way up. You can't be for deregulation and regulation at the same time. If you get the opportunity to be in a position to make good profits will you decline? will it make you dishonest?. I know of no other industry or profession where people think that they are entitled to be be profitable just because that's what they want to do. I know of no other business where the biggest customer is considered the enemy. Think about it.
Hate the consumer, hate the packer, hate the store, hate the McDonalds. Although the people that do make money producing beef don't seem to complain to much... 🤔

You also have the right to not sell your beef at the price offered.
I'll add to this statement, if you're unhappy with the prices you receive at auction, maybe you should look at what you're producing. If you don't produce what the buyer wants how can you expect to get a top price? I see on this forum all the time about how someone raises this certain kind, breed, or crossbreed of cattle because they like them, it doesn't matter what you like unless you intend to keep them all. Raise what the buyer likes!!!!

I'll add to this statement, if you're unhappy with the prices you receive at auction, maybe you should look at what you're producing. If you don't produce what the buyer wants how can you expect to get a top price? I see on this forum all the time about how someone raises this certain kind, breed, or crossbreed of cattle because they like them, it doesn't matter what you like unless you intend to keep them all. Raise what the buyer likes!!!!
What's the price spread between average price and top price? $15/cwt?.. when prices are down $60/cwt it's really a moot pointFBv1ubFVcAISjm1.png

I agree with everything but your first sentence.

In 2017 dollars - an imported fed steer is worth $325, that works out to $24 per cwt. A domestic equivalent in 2017 was $1.32.

Then why haven't imports completely taken over the market? If there is unlimited supply out there for 1/3 of our price then we should have already gone out of business.

Then why haven't imports completely taken over the market? If there is unlimited supply out there for 1/3 of our price then we should have already gone out of business.
We have limits on what can come in

What's the price spread between average price and top price? $15/cwt?.. when prices are down $60/cwt it's really a moot point
Maybe so, but there's people that complain because they're getting far less than even the average price, which was the point of my post, quality makes a difference!

Unless something has changed we don't have limits on Mexico and Canada and could import a whole lot more but we don't.
They are the only countries that don't. NAFTA, or its successor ended it. I don't know what more MexiCan could produce. I suspect Canada's cost of production is higher than ours.

I am not sure what you are arguing for.