80 days... shoot'em up

Help Support CattleToday:

goddy":1svxz955 said:
3waycross":1svxz955 said:
Rahe Family Belties":1svxz955 said:
At this stage, I appreciate his growth, bone, and muscling.
I'd like to see him a little less set in his rear legs, more extended in his front and perhaps less bold in his shoulder.

I think he would make a very nice commercial bull for someone looking for growth and muscling traits.

Why?

Good question

Come on, you gotta throw a lot of buzzwords in there to look good.

Every breed or better, bloodline, has a window that shows you what a bull will turn into. First you must know your cattle which requires homozygosity in my opinion. Judging harshly on calves while they grow through their teenage stages is ridiculous. Take him up to yearling or more and see. Looks good at this point.

Sorry that my honest opinion and explaination fall short or contrary to some others' thoughts.
The gentleman asked for opinions and I gave him mine. I wish him the best of luck.

Rahe Family Belties":2d32q8bo said:
Sorry that my honest opinion and explaination fall short or contrary to some others' thoughts.
The gentleman asked for opinions and I gave him mine. I wish him the best of luck.

I know it was you opinion and i respect that. I just want to know why you want less set in his hocks. You want him to be MORE posty or less. Cuz if you want him straighter in the hocks yer gonna have to explain that to me. Personally i think he is just about right. But we can always learn something and i am looking to learn here. So please explain!

That's kind of what I see so far as well.
I've got a lttle longer sire picked out for momma this year though this calf's sire was not short. I'll see what a lttle more length will do to the mix.

cmf1-

Your 80 day old bull calf is an excellent example of a calf of 'whatever' breed one is discussing of 80 day old optimal phenotype for a beef calf! There seems to be those who want a juvenile calf to look like a two year old mature show bull! Not to be! This calf, just like all calves, will grow in various stages of maturity, will change his appearances many times, often on a daily basis. When his growth stage reaches the point of nitrogen production and testosterone naturally producing masculine traits (neck crest, wider and heavier bone structure, curly head hair, testicle manifestation, heavier jaw musculature, and beginnings of libido) - then one can, with justification, analyize the animal and decide if he is structurally and phenotypically desirable for your particular requirements. In my opinion, this calf is well on his way to being a very desirable herd sire for satisfying the Production and Carcass requirements of many beef producers. Not knowing his genetic factors would dictate a thorough examination of his Genetype background and pedigree dominance. His dam appears to be a satisfactory producing female from looking at the pictures, but a more complete study of the genetics is in order before deciding on using him for an entire herd. I am optimistic, but the proof of the pudding is in a complete genetic study. - - - and that study should certainly include the Genotype, Phenotype and Functional traits and characteristics of the females with which he is going to mate. That study could save you ten years of potential mistakes!

Some serious planning in advance is well worth your time and trouble!

This is an optimal appearing future herd sire! I suggest that you really go into his genetic background and potential success as a future herd sire! With an open mind.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":r3huwgf6 said:
cmf1-

Your 80 day old bull calf is an excellent example of a calf of 'whatever' breed one is discussing of 80 day old optimal phenotype for a beef calf! There seems to be those who want a juvenile calf to look like a two year old mature show bull! Not to be! This calf, just like all calves, will grow in various stages of maturity, will change his appearances many times, often on a daily basis. When his growth stage reaches the point of nitrogen production and testosterone naturally producing masculine traits (neck crest, wider and heavier bone structure, curly head hair, testicle manifestation, heavier jaw musculature, and beginnings of libido) - then one can, with justification, analyize the animal and decide if he is structurally and phenotypically desirable for your particular requirements. In my opinion, this calf is well on his way to being a very desirable herd sire for satisfying the Production and Carcass requirements of many beef producers. Not knowing his genetic factors would dictate a thorough examination of his Genetype background and pedigree dominance. His dam appears to be a satisfactory producing female from looking at the pictures, but a more complete study of the genetics is in order before deciding on using him for an entire herd. I am optimistic, but the proof of the pudding is in a complete genetic study. - - - and that study should certainly include the Genotype, Phenotype and Functional traits and characteristics of the females with which he is going to mate. That study could save you ten years of potential mistakes!

Some serious planning in advance is well worth your time and trouble!

This is an optimal appearing future herd sire! I suggest that you really go into his genetic background and potential success as a future herd sire! With an open mind.

DOC HARRIS

So Doc, do you think he needs less set in his rear legs? Inquiring minds want to know!! ;-)

3waycross-

To answer your question - at this stage of his life - NO, he does not need less set to his rear legs. His gaskin development might be the reason for questioning the "set" of his rear legs. From the pictures available on this thread (and pictures per se are not the acceptable criteria to use for analysis of animals), and considering his age, he is not sickle-hocked, he is not cow-hocked, and he is not post-legged...and neither is his Dam. Observance of the dam of a bull (or any animal for that matter) is a more verifiable factor for analysis than embracing a picture. Or three.

DOC HARRIS

Wow!
Thanks for the encouraging posts.
I placed Cidrs this morning and now I'm pumped.
Still vexing on one or two, but I've got till Saturday to figure it out.
Having to rely mostly on eyeballing, past breeders, and progeny look ups, as MG epds are lacking in ACC.
Ya'll are making me feel like I may have screwed up and got one close to right in spite of myself.
Thanks

Sean,
Are you guys still using all Murray Grey bulls?
Seems like you had talked about doing some crossing at one time.
Has the market gone black over there as well?

Still all Murray Grey. Dad was talking about getting a Limousin bull to cover some of them but hasn't yet, I think he'll AI some first. And yes the market has been black here for a while. The market is terrible as well, a number of factors have conspired to cause a real slump in prices.

cmf1":1wa18o8q said:
Do you keep your herd registered ?
Are you finding any bloodlines doing better on grass-fed indices and RFI?

They are all registered but he doesn't do much with it. He needs some scales for a start :lol: This is the sire of his favourite bull (Lindsay Starbright S117) and it has a good grass fed index (top 10% in 2009), the progeny are doing well as far as growth and structure go. He died in 2007 but it looks like there's still semen available and I can put up the link if you like.

lsbs.jpg

I looked him up and he sure looks like a meat maker.
A good bit more than I want to achieve framewise though.
Thanks for posting him.

I am familiar with many of the older MG sires but I had not seen any calves from Andamooka. He looks great for 80 days! Keep up the good work.

Latest posts