7mm-08

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Have any of yall tried the Winchester Silvertip 140 grain bullets.
These are not like the old fashion Silvertip , they call them Ballistic Silvertips.

The 7mm-08 ballistics says its a .284 cal 30-06.
I am still looking for the magic bullet for this round, I know I don't like Hornady SST's.
Also I am not sold on Federal Fusion.

Accuracy of the 7mm-08 is amazing I haven't been impressed with the drop em where they are at with it.

I'm not sure what your looking for CB. A SST and ballistic tip is very close to being the same performance. A Hornaday Interlock and Nosler partition is very close to having the same performance also. I like ballistic tips and SST bullets myself. You've just had bad luck and don't have any confidence in a 7mm-08. I don't have a 7mm-08 but I do shoot 140 ballistic tips in my 280, and the results make me happy. But I don't see anyway to get 30 - 06 performance out of a 7mm -08, it ain't gonna happen.

My fil uses these in his 30-06 with impressive results. I have not seen them used in 7mm08.
CSM

Ballistic Silvertips are fine on smaller(deer sized) thin skinned game...............they are and I am not kidding NOT WORTH A SHYT on Elk sized game. If you like hearing a cow elk cry for what seems like forever till you can get close enuf to put her out of her misery then use them for large heavy boned game like Elk.

Shot a cow in the shoulder with one 12 years ago. 180 yards it was horrible. Threw the rest of the box away and started reloading with bullets that I knew performed.

as far as the 7-08 is concerned I just cannot find a use for it. I have a 280 Ackley that does it all as far as a 7mm is concerned with little more recoil than the 7-08

highgrit":3cnxlkle said:
I'm not sure what your looking for CB. A SST and ballistic tip is very close to being the same performance. A Hornaday Interlock and Nosler partition is very close to having the same performance also. I like ballistic tips and SST bullets myself. You've just had bad luck and don't have any confidence in a 7mm-08. I don't have a 7mm-08 but I do shoot 140 ballistic tips in my 280, and the results make me happy. But I don't see anyway to get 30 - 06 performance out of a 7mm -08, it ain't gonna happen.

High if you look at the charts in trajectory and ft lbs they are virtually identical.
This is why I bought it for central Texas. Very popular round in this part of the world.
So far the only real positive I have found about my rifle is the Vortex Diamondback sitting on it.

I still have several boxes of the old real deal Winchester Silvertips in 06 and 30-30.
My hunt in Jan in central Texas I am taking my 30-30.

If I don't find something I like looks like a fine trotline weight.

I can find Hornady American Whitetail in 7mm-08
have any of yall tried Hornady Whitetail.

Kingfisher":1l483nat said:
I quit using a 30-30 in Central Texas for most hunts...too many long shots that I didn't like w no scope.

Mine is scoped with a nice Vortex I don't shoot with anything much past a 100 yards.
I see a lot at 200 to 300 yards that I let walk. Man has to know his limitations.

Caustic Burno":2fk4ov8g said:
Kingfisher":2fk4ov8g said:
I quit using a 30-30 in Central Texas for most hunts...too many long shots that I didn't like w no scope.

Mine is scoped with a nice Vortex I don't shoot with anything much past a 100 yards.
I see a lot at 200 to 300 yards that I let walk. Man has to know his limitations.

One good thing about a 30-30 is the knock down power! :)

Worst rifle I ever owned was a Remington 700 BDL in 7mag.
I tracked more shot deer with that rifle, I actually gave it away.
I would find them cause back then we could still use a dog.
Starting to think I have a curse when it comes to rifles in .284 caliber.

Caustic Burno":13nzl1vq said:
You don't like a 25-06?

Kingfisher":1283jwkp said:
Caustic Burno":1283jwkp said:
You don't like a 25-06?

Never tried one the ballistics look good.
I just like the range of bullet grains in 7mm.
Should have just stuck with my 06 wanted a new one and I lemoned out IMO so far.
Was looking for less recoil with decent ballistics and trajectory.

I use the ballistic silvertips in my 7mm-08 and love them. Never had an issue with them. I shot 1 and my son shot 1 on Jogeephus place a few years ago with my little Model 7. Neither went more than 10 yards after the hit. I have shot several deer with the rifle and bullet and my son has shot maybe 4. No issues at all. All dropped within a few steps or in their tracks. I have never shot anything bigger than a whitetail with it but I would not hesitate to use it on hogs, mule deer or black bears.

HOSS":1xepzw14 said:
I use the ballistic silvertips in my 7mm-08 and love them. Never had an issue with them. I shot 1 and my son shot 1 on Jogeephus place a few years ago with my little Model 7. Neither went more than 10 yards after the hit. I have shot several deer with the rifle and bullet and my son has shot maybe 4. No issues at all. All dropped within a few steps or in their tracks. I have never shot anything bigger than a whitetail with it but I would not hesitate to use it on hogs, mule deer or black bears.

I shot three with Hornady SST looked like a pencil hole through the boiler works on both sides.
Found them all cept one till the next day. Absolutely no expansion.
I believe the rifle is a good round over all for deer and varmints.
Need to find a bullet that I am satisfied and pleased with. I am just not taking the rifle
on paid hunts until I am satisfied with the results.
Bought a box of Winchester Silvertips and Hornady American Whitetail.
The Hornady is a Spire point that I like better, maybe we will find out the results on this evenings hunt.

It is hard to beat a 140 gr partition in this diameter. They expand quick even on ground hog sized critters, but still give good penetration. My loads are at a chronographed 3300 fps, so they might not expand quite as quick at 7mm-08 velocities, but still should be plenty for deer.

Caustic Burno":352j38rk said:
Kingfisher":352j38rk said:
Caustic Burno":352j38rk said:
You don't like a 25-06?

Never tried one the ballistics look good.
I just like the range of bullet grains in 7mm.
Should have just stuck with my 06 wanted a new one and I lemoned out IMO so far.
Was looking for less recoil with decent ballistics and trajectory.
I don't have one but know several that do and they like them a lot.

hillbilly beef man":3kxsmik2 said:
It is hard to beat a 140 gr partition in this diameter. They expand quick even on ground hog sized critters, but still give good penetration. My loads are at a chronographed 3300 fps, so they might not expand quite as quick at 7mm-08 velocities, but still should be plenty for deer.

Just ordered a box on your recommendation going to load them right at 2800 fps.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/117876 ... -box-of-50

For 99% of what various rounds are used for the old cup and core bullets still are all that is really required. If you are going light for caliber or super high velocitys then the expensive premium bullets are needed. In a lot of ways the premium bullets are like some of the newer hotter magnums, they give the shooter something to talk about and to one up the poor shmuck that's shooting the old standby 06, 270, etc. The manufacturers have to keep coming up with something "better" just to stay alive in the me too business.

It has always been a supprisingly accurate bullet for me, I can get sub moa out of a factory model 700 7 rem mag. Which I thought was pretty good for a bullet that was built from the ground up for terminal performance with accuracy with an after thought. I hope they serve you well. My brother in law uses them in his model 7 7mm-08 and I has had good luck with them as well.

Latest posts