7mm-08

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2vtb85sw said:
For 99% of what various rounds are used for the old cup and core bullets still are all that is really required. If you are going light for caliber or super high velocitys then the expensive premium bullets are needed. In a lot of ways the premium bullets are like some of the newer hotter magnums, they give the shooter something to talk about and to one up the poor shmuck that's shooting the old standby 06, 270, etc. The manufacturers have to keep coming up with something "better" just to stay alive in the me too business.
Yep, all the me too's and also ran's can only really try to compare to the standby's.
30-30
30-06
If I could only have one it would be a 30-06.
They have worked for 108 years. Done everything from deer hunting on the back 40 to sniper rifles in the most inhospitable environments in the world and got their shooters home.

jedstivers":371y82tu said:
dun":371y82tu said:
For 99% of what various rounds are used for the old cup and core bullets still are all that is really required. If you are going light for caliber or super high velocitys then the expensive premium bullets are needed. In a lot of ways the premium bullets are like some of the newer hotter magnums, they give the shooter something to talk about and to one up the poor shmuck that's shooting the old standby 06, 270, etc. The manufacturers have to keep coming up with something "better" just to stay alive in the me too business.
Yep, all the me too's and also ran's can only really try to compare to the standby's.
30-30
30-06
If I could only have one it would be a 30-06.
They have worked for 108 years. Done everything from deer hunting on the back 40 to sniper rifles in the most inhospitable environments in the world and got their shooters home.
I agree, for me it would be the 308

Reason I bought the 7-08 was looking for less recoil on bad body parts with some reach.
The only 06 I own was my dad's so I am pretty careful with it.
Until I bought the 7-08 my deer rifles were 32-40 30-30 44 mag or 45-70.
Not really what you would consider a Central Texas caliber.

7-08 is a good round for deer. Have three around the house. Great ballistics out to about 200 yards. Comparable to a .270 just starts falling off after the 200 yard mark.

Caustic Burno":3fhws83j said:
Reason I bought the 7-08 was looking for less recoil on bad body parts with some reach.
For recoil the 243 is a very good one and I know you kill most of your deer inside the range of a 30-30. A 243 will do that easy and you barely know you shot it.

jedstivers":1uwy1ufp said:
Caustic Burno":1uwy1ufp said:
For recoil the 243 is a very good one and I know you kill most of your deer inside the range of a 30-30. A 243 will do that easy and you barely know you shot it.

My neck has gotten so bad recoil has become a big factor.
That is why the 32-40 has become more of a favorite than it already was.

Great excuse if nothing else to add one to the safe.

This is my 7-08 at 100 yards this is about as good as I can shoot.
Gun shoots great in my book in the hands of a real rifle shooter it would be plum scary

Latest posts