7'6 vs 7'0 vs 6'8 Trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

twabscs

Reaction score
Hey All,

Thanks for the trailer help so far. I've spent the last week calling dealers, looking at trailers, calling vendors, etc and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I'm pretty sure I've found the best prices as I've called most everyone in a 150 mile radius. Below are my final choices and prices:

All trailers have two internal gates with at least one slider. All have rear slider doors.

1) 7'0x24' Aluminum Featherlite - $13,900
2) 6'8x24' Steel Titan - $8050
3) 6'8x24' Steel Travalong Advantage - $8100
4) 7'6x24' Aluminum Travalong - $13,245
5) 6'8x24' Aluminum Travalong - $11,900
5) 7'0x24' Aluminum WW Briteline - $12,500

I'm leaning toward the Featherlite as the dealer is the closest and it seems to be a great price for the named brand. The Aluminum Travalong is in close second because of the larger width, but I haven't actually looked at it and measured it. I've heard that the Travalong 7'6 is really something like a Featherlite 7'0 on the inside (width). Any comments?

The briteline seems like a great deal too, but the dealer indicated it was "wrecked" (driver fell asleep) on the way and taken back and "fixed" and he wanted to fully disclose, etc.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

A couple of questions.

-How often will you use the trailer?

-What will be your average round trip mileage?

The extra $5,000 for the aluminum may not be worth it if you do not use that often.

We just bought a new 24' alum. champion trailer that we are very saticefied with but we were also looking at featherlite trailers that were pretty nice. I would strongly recomend the featherlite.

Well, probably around 15-20 times a year. However, I think I'll get the extra $5K back if/when I ever sale the trailer. Seems aluminum trailers have better resale and seems most can get back what they paid for them years later. That tidbit skews the numbers when comparing to steel. In reality, though, I can get the aluminum Travalong for $4K more than steel. Seems worth it to me, but you're right. Tough call.

Round-trip mileage. It will vary, 10 miles between farms, but maybe 30 miles to salebarn. Plus, a couple trips a year of 100 miles or so to pick up replacements, bulls, etc. So, maybe 60-mile round-trip average.

I was looking for any agreement that the prices are good/bad/average from what others have paid this year.

Thanks,

Tom

Haven't bought one in the past year, but the only one I'd be familiar with is the top one. It looks a tad high to me but I haven't priced one in a good while. Off the top of my head I would've expected that trailer to be in the 12s. But I've been wrong before, just ask my wife.

One thing I can tell you is the width of the trailer should match the truck in front of it. If you have a truck with small close mirrors, anything over 7' wide will be a pain in the butt to back up. If you've got good, wide mirrors extra width is no problem.

cfpinz

You got the titan priced down cheaper than the advantage travalong? How'd you get that to happen? LOL. Good for you. I am surprised to see that.

Since your looking at them, I'm going to assume the extra pesos are there and not going to hurt you financially if you invest in the trailer. My last other bit of advice is just quit looking at the 6'8" wide if you can comfortably handle the 7' wide price. You will be so much happier with the full 7' width. I don't see a real big advantage to 7'6" but I have never pulled or used one that wide so I am limited to know experience wise if they are the ticket or not.

What kind of pickup or truck are you going to pull this with? Dooley? Diesel? If you have hp and suspension limitations that might also make you reconsider the widest options in your list.

Looks to me that list can be cut down to about 2 selections if I'm reading you well. #1 and #6.....possibly #4. Is it worth it to you to save 1400 dollars (1 vs 6) and take a chance on a wrecked re-fix?

You'll have to show us some pictures of your rig when you get this transaction all done. Make sure you get a spare tire.

you cant go wrong with featherlite.i have a 7x16 wish it was a 20'or 24'. but i got such a deal i couldnt pass it up.you might check this link http://www.mousersteel.com/ i was going to buy a 20' from them before i found the deal on the 16'.they have featherlite and neckover(steel)

Thanks for they replies. Back from the farm as we got 5" of snow last night. Been an awful tough winter and it just got started - Already starting to worry about hay. :(

The tow rig is a 2008 4x4 CC F250 with the V10 - Rated around 15K for gooseneck towing. It has automatic telescoping mirrors so the trailer width shouldn't be an issue.

I'll definitely post a picture of the setup when I finally get it - Really appreciate all the help and all.

I really like the Titan, but the 6K weight comparied to 4K on the featherlite makes a difference to me. That's nearly two cows.

Tom

We have a 24ft Sooner that is 7 ft wide and a 24 ft Elite that is 8 ft wide. The only thing I like better about the Sooner is that it doesn't have the fender wells inside the trailer.

I just picked up our new 20' Featherlite on Saturday from a dealer in South Mississippi. I just brought it home and parked it, but so far, it's an awesome trailer. (I also looked at the Exiss and Cherokee aluminum trailers.)

Tom,

The reason I asked the couple of questions is because I had to answer them myself a year or so ago when I was looking for a trailer. I wanted a new aluminum trailer because of the lighter weight and rust proof but didn't like the extra cost. I almost bought a new steel one but for some reason I waited.

One day, a friend of mine said that he knew a fellow getting out of the cattle business and had an aluminum trailer for sale. I called the fellow and made the 45 mile trip down that afternoon and bought a nice Gooseneck Brand Trailer made in Bryant Texas. Eventhough the trailer was 10 years old it was in excellent shape, new rubber on the ground, rubber floor boards, aluminum gooseneck. It was a heck of a deal for $5,000.

Sometimes even a blind dog can find a bone.

Rich":2jlfm6jp said:
You got the titan priced down cheaper than the advantage travalong? How'd you get that to happen? LOL. Good for you. I am surprised to see that.

Well, the $8100 Advantage has the 4-foot rubber cleating at the entry. If I add that to the Titan we get up to $8250, so the Titan is really a bit more if it is an apples to apples comparison. The color I wanted in the Titan didn't have the cleating. :)

I called about six Titan dealers and the $8200 range was about as low as they would go. Some were up in the $8800 range. The closest Titan dealer would go $8050 without the cleating.

r and s peckman":1k24sz47 said:
Who is the dealer?

Not sure who you're asking, but in my case I called many, many dealers. Basically all that I could find that carried WW, Travalong, Titan, and Featherlite. All of these were in a 150 mile (or so) radius of the Kansas City area.

I dont know what kind of floors is in the trailer you are looking at but if you buy equipment for life consider having the lifetime floor pit in at the factory instead of wood or aluminum. These boards are made out of recycled tires I think and are the best things for livestock hauling since the spare tire.

Just another option to consider.

Good luck,

Jay

jayfarmlaw":1qwitlyp said:
I dont know what kind of floors is in the trailer you are looking at but if you buy equipment for life consider having the lifetime floor pit in at the factory instead of wood or aluminum. These boards are made out of recycled tires I think and are the best things for livestock hauling since the spare tire.

I think you're talking about the "Rumber" floors. Some dealers I talked to wouldn't sell it because it is so "slick" according to them. Others considered it a great option, so I don't know what to think. I would consider it in the steel trailers, but the aluminum ones like the Featherlite have floors that provide a good non-slip surface.

Both the Titan and Travalong Advantage offer "rubber cleating" at the back 4 ft of the trailer. This makes it eaiser for animals to enter and exit. The most difficult part of loading, etc. They also offer the rumber the full length of the trailer.

No featherlites if you ever haul cows that arent show cows. absoultly no on the featherlites, i would say no on the WW also dont know about the alum. travalong though, i definattly liek the titan, if you want an alum. that will last go witih barrett, eby, or elite

Moo,

Why? Do cows kick the sides and such on the Aluminums? Can you give me more details? My cows are fairly docile but I have a few big ones (1500 lbs) and some that don't like to travel. :)

Thanks,

Tom

No alum. is fine for trailers, but the featherlite;s just arent made for hauling cattle... show cattle yes, but not normal cattle, you wouldnt want to be hauling cows and break an axel would you? the featherlites just arent made as well as some of the other alum. trailers i had posted. Barrett, elite, and eby are probally the best alum. trailers on the market, and arent even the most expensive. You can also get tons of options on the barrett and the elite. The thing i like the most is the floating gate. good luck

Moo,

Okay, thanks for the info. I also got some prices on Merritt and Barrett trailers as I was calling around. Here are the best prices:

1) 24' Aluminum Barrett - $15,200
2) 24' Aluminum Merritt - $15,850

If I had to choose, I would take the Merritt as that is a great price and the Merritt is more like the larger pot trailers. However, it seems many on these boards use Featherlite for their cattle hauling and don't seem to have issues.

What to do... :x

Tom

Latest posts