60% weaning weight

Help Support CattleToday:

10-4 on that keepin her issue. its the end result yer looking at not HER appearance. is yer truck and tractor pretty or do they just do the job theyre asked to do

dieselbeef":3lnbqe91 said:
10-4 on that keepin her issue. its the end result yer looking at not HER appearance. is yer truck and tractor pretty or do they just do the job theyre asked to do
only when their not working

dieselbeef":hr6fiy7n said:

The question that only time will answer is will she continue to do her job year after year and do it on time if she gets sucked down like this? In my environment the answer is no.

If your truck gets so many dents while working every year how long will it keep running before letting you down?

KNERSIE":3s9oz2i1 said:
dieselbeef":3s9oz2i1 said:

The question that only time will answer is will she continue to do her job year after year and do it on time if she gets sucked down like this? In my environment the answer is no.

If your truck gets so many dents while working every year how long will it keep running before letting you down?
come on a 'dodge cummins'' it'll take more then dents too bring it down :p

well said...dents wont keep it from running but i get yer point. but i wouldnt junk the truck cuz its ugly. i junk the truck when i cant fix it for what its worth to me.

if that cow happens to come up open enxt yr then..yeah...let her gain some and ship but til then...

actually by now ya oughtta know if shes gonna be open if that calfs 7 mos. if she is wean and let her gain some and load her up. with 200 lbs on her she'll bring decent moneys

Like I said I have one just like her. I don't believe for a second that she will be able to do that for 10 to 12 years.

I would cull her. In my business, I don't have the luxery of keeping cows like that. My customers want easy doing cows, and her offspring will not be. She may be a calf raiser, but their is more to it than that.

Getting rid of one that as a first calver weaned a 576 lb calf at 232 days and the cow weighed 838. Came up open so bye-bye

Those skinny little cows aren't worth anything for kill, as long as she's bred keep her. Maybe she will be producing calves for 10 years.

There are almost no cows that can be in that shape and continue to produce a calf every 365 without heavy supplementation. it's amazing she hasnt gone down for the count in that shape. WEAN THE CALF!

you need to adjust her weight to BCS 5 to get a real idea of what she has done.

without adjusting you get a deceptively high percentage that can reach as high as 90%. If she weighs 900 lb and the calf weighs 650, she weaned 72%. But this cow is not doing you as much of a favor as you think; she is just putting more resources into her calf than she can sustain and you will be paying the bill to get her back into shape if she can recover.

with each BCS there is 50-80 lb difference. that cow is probably a 1.5 - 2 (dont believe me? go to http://www.cowbcs.info/photogallery.html)
to adjust her to a BCS 5, you need to add 150-280 lb (maybe more) to estimate what size cow she really is. With that, she is really an ~1180 lb cow that weaned a 650 lb calf which means 55%.

one other thought is that the only place her weight has gone is into that calf via milk. milk is inefficient and for every 100 calories the calf receives, it takes about 130 calories out of the cow. with this idea in mind, if the calf gained an extra 200 lbs because the cow is a "good milker", it probably took 260 lbs off of the cow.

high milk levels are not your friend and are very expensive to maintain.

*4 minutes later - :lol2: you mean i went through writing that and almost every post in front of mine says the same thing? :dunce:

one other thought is that the only place her weight has gone is into that calf via milk. milk is inefficient and for every 100 calories the calf receives, it takes about 130 calories out of the cow. with this idea in mind, if the calf gained an extra 200 lbs because the cow is a "good milker", it probably took 260 lbs off of the cow.
Would you mind telling me where you got this information? Granted, higher uptake of calories generally leads to increased fat storage, I'm not sure that calorie intake and weight are exactly a direct proportionality, but rather lends itself to variable change as many animals have different metablolic rates (of which fluctuate according to environmental conditions, available food reserves, and parasites, etc).I would like to learn more on this subject as I am currently in Veterinary School and have been taught differently. Any information on where I can find this information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

give me a little time. that is the result of my asking a researcher how much was lost when feeding a cow to give milk to the calf instead of feeding the calf directly.

what have you been taught?

JR Cattle Co.":4gooeof5 said:
Would you mind telling me where you got this information? Granted, higher uptake of calories generally leads to increased fat storage, I'm not sure that calorie intake and weight are exactly a direct proportionality, but rather lends itself to variable change as many animals have different metablolic rates (of which fluctuate according to environmental conditions, available food reserves, and parasites, etc).I would like to learn more on this subject as I am currently in Veterinary School and have been taught differently. Any information on where I can find this information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What exactly are you disagreeing with??? You can look at the cow and see that she needs to put on 200++ pounds to be in a body condition score 5. You know the weight went somewhere. Some energy is lost in the process of making milk. More energy is lost by the calf digesting the milk, some of the calve's digested energy is utilized for maintenance and does not get used for growth. You have a picture of a poor cow with a big strapping fat calf. While yes the cow probably has lost some energy to weather and parasites, logic dictates that most of the cow's missing weight went into that big fat calf. Now if we were looking at a pair that had just gone through a drought and had been starved; we would expect to see a poor cow with a small runty calf as there weren't enough groceries available for the cow to maintain her condition or feed the calf properly. In this case it is obvious that there was groceries because we can see them in the calf.

And some of you critized me and my ( OLD MOLLEY as Doc called her) . The cow is thin the calf needs to be weaned, hope she is bred back but at least feed her a little something before the next go round. If she works for you then thats all that matters. JHH

What exactly are you disagreeing with??? You can look at the cow and see that she needs to put on 200++ pounds to be in a body condition score 5. You know the weight went somewhere. Some energy is lost in the process of making milk. More energy is lost by the calf digesting the milk, some of the calve's digested energy is utilized for maintenance and does not get used for growth. You have a picture of a poor cow with a big strapping fat calf. While yes the cow probably has lost some energy to weather and parasites, logic dictates that most of the cow's missing weight went into that big fat calf. Now if we were looking at a pair that had just gone through a drought and had been starved; we would expect to see a poor cow with a small runty calf as there weren't enough groceries available for the cow to maintain her condition or feed the calf properly. In this case it is obvious that there was groceries because we can see them in the calf.
First of all, I'm not disagreeing with the fact that this cow is in poor condition and that most of the energy went into the calf! That is obvious! I'm simply seeking out more knowledge and trying to learn all that I can, therefore, I inquire when I see, hear, or read something that is different from what I've been taught. Afterall, isn't that how knowledge is obtained? Nobody is disagreeing here, just trying to identify accurate information!! I find it unfortunate that people don't comprehend what they read (much like you have done with my original reply), so I try to understand and get the facts instead of just absorbing inaccurate information.

Question for sizmic -Have you palpated the cow to see if she is definitely bred back or are you thinking she is bred because you saw the bull cover her?

I often leave calves on the cows 6 to 8 even 9 months. Most of the time we have enough grass here in East Texas to do that.

My nephew just finished Vet school and he did the preg checks this year, yes she was checked safe. If you have any doubts about the quality of the check, he was getting within about 10 days on the AI cattle.

The rest of you can breathe a sigh of relief now, she's in the barn for a great big "Thank You" meal. As I stated earlier she didn't look much better than that carrying that calf, she's had protein tubs, silage and supplimental feed with the others. She's just a hard do'er and you could fit her udder in a quart mason jar! She was even in the lushest green fescue in the county over last summer without her first calf on her. That should've put 200 #'s on her but it didn't.

Sizmic

For anyone that might still be curious, I just got all the yearling data back on this calf, a daughter of Grid Topper.

WWR=115
YWR=109
IMF=112
REA=118
Rib fat=80
Rump Fat=100

And, the cow calved again 2 weeks ago, guess what, another heifer! I might have to eat my words about shipping her, for right now anyway.

Sizmic

sizmic":inbcw8ab said:
My nephew just finished Vet school and he did the preg checks this year, yes she was checked safe. If you have any doubts about the quality of the check, he was getting within about 10 days on the AI cattle.

The rest of you can breathe a sigh of relief now, she's in the barn for a great big "Thank You" meal. As I stated earlier she didn't look much better than that carrying that calf, she's had protein tubs, silage and supplimental feed with the others. She's just a hard do'er and you could fit her udder in a quart mason jar! She was even in the lushest green fescue in the county over last summer without her first calf on her. That should've put 200 #'s on her but it didn't.

Sizmic

Great calf, good mom, But she is a hard keeper. Post a pic of her in 8 more years after having a calf EVERY year. I bet she dont make it. Some do. I have one that is ten and has done it every year but she doesnt get that thin. Tell me how the heifers do I am interested now. How big is she and what frame is she?

She sure worked for you. You have to give her that much.

Latest posts