5 month old bull calf found dead.

Help Support CattleToday:

Sunshine21

Reaction score
Earlier today we found one of our five month old bull calves dead. He was just laying there no signs of struggle. One of the other cows is in heat so we think the older bulls may have accidentally killed him. Any thoughts?

How often to you check your cattle? Just wondering if he was acting punky the last few days or if there had been any previous signs of illness. Agreed, it seems unlikely about the bulls. Do you vaccinate for Blackleg? No vaccine is a guarantee but Blackleg is generally discovered by finding a dead calf. Also, did you check in his mouth to see if he may have something stuck, causing him to asphyxiate? Had you banded or castrated him recently? Could be tetanus. Bottom line - there is no easy answer unless you have a vet perform an autopsy or examine tissue samples. Sorry for your loss!

Had one just drop dead last summer in the middle of a field, and they get checked daily.. Figured heart trouble and moved on.

Our cows are checked on everyday. He was perfectly fine yesterday healthy and showing no signs of illness or distress. Didn't appear to have any of the signs or symptoms of blackleg. He wasn't banded or castrated also didn't see any thing in his mouth that he may have asphyxiated on. It has us perplexed.

My neighbor went on vacation this spring and I was watching his cattle for him. During the week he was gone two calves dropped dead for no apparent reason. We had an autopsy done and they said it was a heat issue. They think it may be hereditary so he is now seriously considering buying a new bull.

Son of Butch":dfune2g5 said:
Toad":dfune2g5 said:
We had an autopsy done and they said it was a heat issue. They think it may be hereditary so he is now seriously considering buying a new bull.
They're going to sell their Scottish Highlander!?! :)
woops, that should say heart issue. lol

I lost a 600# 5 month old calf today in the calf feeder. Had his head ran out the side of one of the holes somehow. . Fine yesterday and dead at noon today. . Had to bend the side bars to get him unstuck. .i don't get it! I'd rather have them die at birth than ready to sell! Grrr

kucala5":2wagovk7 said:
We've had locals lose cattle the last two weeks to mint weed consumption.

That's interesting...and makes sense. I lost 2 calves this summer about the same age. There was quite a bit of Perilla Mint in those pastures...I since sprayed those pastures...killing the mint...no issues since. Hmmm...thanks!

I lost several of the best calves a few years in a row. They were about 5 months old. I started vaccinating all calves several times for Blackleg and I haven't lost one since and it's been about 5 years. I suppose it could be something else. I thought maybe hereditary or something but others said give the Blackleg/tetanus etc...

TCRanch":2biyfvb9 said:
Do you vaccinate for Blackleg? No vaccine is a guarantee but Blackleg is generally discovered by finding a dead calf.

If a vet posts a calf and does not find anything - - they then recommend a Blackleg vaccine.

Clostridals are a very common cause of death 6 months and under. Hit them with a Blackleg 7 way at 3-4 weeks and booster again at 6 months.

Latest posts