4x4 flat bed truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Bama

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll, I got a question. How does a 4 wheel drive dual wheel flatbed handle in snow. I'm considering buying one and have a few questions I just don't know the answers to. Round here a dual wheel truck will get stuck if the grass is a little wet. I have driven a dual wheel but not a 4x4. I'm looking to buy another truck and thought I would get one to cover all the basis. I have a 4 wheel drive single wheel that has a lot of miles on it and needs replacing. I would like the duals for the extra weight capacity. I like to hunt out west in some out of the way places on roads that can get deep with snow and rutted pretty bad. Its tough on a regular 4x4 with chains. How does a dual wheel handle in this. How about chains for both rear and front tires or do I just need one set on the rear. I don't see snow but a few times a year and deep snow only once a year. Most of the time it would be used in mud but I would like to handle deep snow also. I figure a lot of ya'll have experience with this, I would rather get my information from someone who knows rather than from a slick talking salesman. Thanks.

Bama, the 4X4 dually with a flat bed goes very well in snow, especially if you have a couple of underbed tool boxes full of junk. CM makes a good looking bed. I wouldn't be without mine and the Cummins will sling a lot of "crap" when necessary.

I have drove 4x4 duallys since I have been driving first truck was a 1984 chevy one ton 4x4 with a 454
a dually will handle completely different in snow and mud than a single wheel
I for one would rather have a single wheel if I was in alot of mud the extra drag on the duallys in the mud and them packing with mud between the duals and not being able to track the front tires make them want to walk quite a bit
plus if you are looking at a diesel they extra weight up front really makes the back end walk around unless you have quite a bit of weight on it and a regular flatbed isn't enough weight
I would probably go back with the single wheel unless you really the duals for need it for hauling everyday

Neighbor here just spent 1500 switching his dually to a single axle because he couldn't get around in the snow to feed with his bale deck. Just around a foot and a half of snow here on the level.

Thanks Ya'll, pretty much sums up what I was thinking. The extra wheel set on the rear is great for the load capacity but I figured it would be bad to "float". I'm now thinking along the lines of a single wheel with higher ply tires. Thanks for the info.

Bama":2dv3lmft said:
Thanks Ya'll, pretty much sums up what I was thinking. The extra wheel set on the rear is great for the load capacity but I figured it would be bad to "float". I'm now thinking along the lines of a single wheel with higher ply tires. Thanks for the info.
Bame got a friend with a one ton single wheel set...seems to like it a lot. Dont' think I'd spend all that extra money jsut for a bird/deer/elk hunt once or twice a year. Even a 3/4 ton 4x4 should take care of you well.

i had a dually 4x4 and it did pretty good n the mud and snow,problem was getting it clean.its a real beatch to get mud from between the duals.i got a 3/4 ford 4x4 now and it suks in mud,snow,or ice.had a dodge b4 and it was great.

I've got 1 single wheel F350 and two duallies, all 4wd. The single wheel does a little better in mud/snow but it wouldn't be a determining factor for me, any ton truck is going to suck compared to a half ton. I just spent a fair amount of money putting Detroit lockers in the front and rear of my '96 dually with a bale bed, it's a night and day difference. It'll go places this year in 2wd that it had trouble with last year in 4wd.

If the weight you're pulling justifies the dual wheels, get one and you'll love it. From my experience, dual wheels knock 2 to 3 mpg off and there is a somewhat noticeable loss of power, too.

Friend of mine has a ton dually ford flat bed with a welding rig on it,2 wd.
Even with the welder and all his tools it's about as usless as a toothache when ther's the least bit of moisture in the fields.Don't know to much about the 4wd dually but got to be better than the 2wd.

Cal

Calman":30kefelg said:
Friend of mine has a ton dually ford flat bed with a welding rig on it,2 wd.
Even with the welder and all his tools it's about as usless as a toothache when ther's the least bit of moisture in the fields.Don't know to much about the 4wd dually but got to be better than the 2wd.

Cal
it is,, ive had 2wd duallys before.. once a fellow with a ford had to pull my stock trailer out of the mud hauling calves... course i got horse laughed :cowboy:

Thanks Ya'll, I'm leaning towards a single wheel now. I get in some mud quite frequent, the snow around here is very limited. I do like to travel to other place that have a lot of snow. I only do this a couple of time a year. The duals would be nice for the extra weight, but I can get by with a single wheel. I'm a big thightwad that wouldn't pay a quarter to watch a ****-ant eat a roll of hay. I just can't justify buying two trucks, I would rather buy one that will do everthing fairly well.

All depends on how much weight you're pulling and the percentage of time it's loaded in my book.

All things the same, I'd just as soon have a 10 year old half-ton and a 15 year old ton truck. Then all of my bases are covered and the bank's not broke.

Empty mine is useless. With some weight it does OK. I think once you tow with duals you will prefer the duals.

Floyd":2n8pijzc said:
Empty mine is useless. With some weight it does OK. I think once you tow with duals you will prefer the duals.

My 2001 Dodge 3500 flat bed is pretty useless empty or loaded in the mud or snow. It rarely is unhooked from the cattle trailer though. You would like how the duals handle the load.

I think a lot of it has to do with the engine. I have a 03 Chevrolet ext. cab, 4x4 dually, with a gas engine, and it will go fine in the mud and snow, even with maypops. Before this truck, I had a F 250 with a 7.3 and I was stuck all the time. The diesel engines are so heavy they sink the front end. Seems that way to me anyhow.

Dang nap-it Now I have more to think about. Gas or Diesel. I don't want to get into the ford verses chevy thing but I will say I have been a ford man all my life. I drove a Chevy duramax with an allison transmission and really liked the combo.

Bama":18u73518 said:
Dang nap-it Now I have more to think about. Gas or Diesel. I don't want to get into the ford verses chevy thing but I will say I have been a ford man all my life. I drove a Chevy duramax with an allison transmission and really liked the combo.

Gas or diesel depends on how much you're going to use it, takes awhile to recoup that extra money.

I've been a Ford man my whole life, but I won't buy any more of them once I can't find nice used 7.3 diesels. I have no desire to own any of the 6.0's, 6.4's, etc. My next ton truck will most likely be a Dodge, hopefully one of the last 5.9's. To me the Chevy's are great trucks if you spend 99% of your time on pavement, I've seen some of the local ones with bale beds on them - ouch. Independent suspension has no place on a farm truck.

cfpinz":2grmlk4l said:
Bama":2grmlk4l said:

Gas or diesel depends on how much you're going to use it, takes awhile to recoup that extra money.

I've been a Ford man my whole life, but I won't buy any more of them once I can't find nice used 7.3 diesels. I have no desire to own any of the 6.0's, 6.4's, etc. My next ton truck will most likely be a Dodge, hopefully one of the last 5.9's. To me the Chevy's are great trucks if you spend 99% of your time on pavement, I've seen some of the local ones with bale beds on them - ouch. Independent suspension has no place on a farm truck.

Them's fightin' words pinz. ;-)

tripleBfarms":2ocyicwd said:
Them's fightin' words pinz. ;-)

I've seen too many of them buried around here from the frame rails hanging down so low. But if I were buying a truck to pull on the interstate everyday, it may very well be a Chevy. Those things sure ride nice, plus the Duramax's that I've rode in would haul ass.

Latest posts