Truck rifle caliber musings

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
A few years ago I bought a new compact bolt action with Nikon scope in 223 Rem. for use as a truck rifle.
Reasons for choice were:
Was thinking I'd mostly use it for groundhogs or coyotes.
Knew it was more powerful and had a longer range than a 22 wmr
Has a very light recoil and would be good to transition the grandsons into centerfire
Ammo was cheaper and plentiful
"Thought" it would be quieter shooting than my deer rifles :hide:
Didn't take but the first few rounds to find out the last idea was not right but the rifle has performed well in accuracy and was pleasant to shoot.Still plenty good for varmint sized game.
I've been thinking lately I should maybe trade or rebarrel this rifle for one in a heavier caliber,making it a true year 'round rifle.My state does not allow anything less than 243 for deer or bear.
If I trade,and keep the same model,I can get 243,7mm-08 or 308.The full size model,which is only 2" longer overall,will add 6.5 Creedmoor,260 Rem,270 wsm and 300 wsm to the mix. I already have one 7mm-08 and one 243 so ammo is here.I would use one of them in this role but both are blind magazine and I want something I can unload quickly and simply when I'm in some areas.
I've heard good things about the 6.5 but,since I have the 243 and 7mm-08,reforming brass wouldn't be a big problem for the 260,if needed.I don't see where a WSM is a good idea for all around,either.
Anyone have any thoughts on the subject? I may find I can't do anything but it's getting closer to fall and thoughts turn toward guns and calibers.I can probably rebarrel and change bolt heads cheapest,but not always.

Keep what you got and buy another in .243. A lot of people gotta have the latest and greatest and I have a few odd calibers but the last few years I have been just adding what I want in calibers I have and like. The .243 has become my truck gun of choice, just picked up a new one on clearance at Wallyworld the other week. Model 700 Rem. for $249 couldn't pass it up. A lot to be said for being able to stock up on just a few sizes of ammo.

I like a 243 better than my 7-08 for DRT at 200 yard and under. I have shot a lot of deer with 7-08 and never had one drop right there with the caliber.

I just bought a 6.5x55 swedish Husqvarna from a buddy for a deal I couldn't pass up.. I don't actually carry it in my truck much but it is a nice truck rifle

You mention that a 243 is the state minimum for deer and bear. I don't know if you plan to shoot a bear but if I am doing it I want something bigger than a 243. Also if you compare the ballistics of a 7mm-08 and the 6.5 Creedmore they are nearly the same. Actually the 7mm-08 wins by just a pinch.

The 6.5 is a sweetheart.
On re-forming cases be sure to keep them marked. Ya dont wanna shove one in the wrong rifle.

I've reformed 308 to 260. The dang necks were too thick. So be careful they ain't too thin if u use 243. Or the same issue with 7-08 as 308.

I sure like a 22 hornet for quieter carbine length varmint killers. Light and handy!

Now, if u reload, I have always wanted a 6.5 br.
Or better yet, a 25br.
Don't know about legality for deer on those. But they will dang sure do the job with the right boolit!

I have a 6.5 Talbot in an xp100 single shot pistol. Love it! Anything up to deer size. It's based on a 250 savage case. The bullet selections are far improved in 6.5 over what they used to be..

Now that I've said all that, sounds like u need a 250 savage. Lmao!

IMO looks like you pretty much already have it covered. If low on ammo I would try to get a few extra rounds. There is some calibers in between what you have, but probably no better.

Caustic Burno said:
I have shot a lot of deer with 7-08 and never had one drop right there with the caliber.

A friend of mine and myself had this discussion the other night. We both believe too many 7mm bullets are made with the magnums and high velocity cartridges in mind and the 308 case doesn't have enough poop to make them perform.

I've got a little Ruger M77 Compact with the 16.5" barrel in 223 in my truck, handy as can be but it's a touch loud. Plenty big for anything on this side of the hill.

Of the calibers you mentioned, the 260 holds more interest than the others to me. I bought my Mom one of them in the same Ruger compact mentioned above. It doubles as a flamethrower and eardrum popper. A 20-22" barrel on one of them with a short stock would be pretty much ideal for a truck in my opinion.

cfpinz said:
Caustic Burno said:
I have shot a lot of deer with 7-08 and never had one drop right there with the caliber.

A friend of mine and myself had this discussion the other night. We both believe too many 7mm bullets are made with the magnums and high velocity cartridges in mind and the 308 case doesn't have enough poop to make them perform.

Good point.
Your right lot of difference in 3150 150 grain and 2850 FPS on139 grain bullet.
The 243 with a 100 grain humming at 3100 beats the 7-08 hands down IMO.
I wouldn't buy another one, I don't take shots over 200 yards so a 30-30 is all I really need.

I only know one guy around here who hunts with a 243. He uses it to fill cow elk tags. Head shots at under 100 yards. I have shot 4 deer with my 7x57. A grand total of 4 shots. The 7x57 is just a touch better than a 7mm08. And I know another guy here who uses his 7mm08 for elk and deer he swears by it.

Thanks for all the replies.One of my main things I like about my 223 is the ability to dump the clip and be unloaded.Most of my other rifles have blind box magazines and,of course,must be cycled round by round to unload.That's what got me thinking of adding another.
I guess for now I will just keep doing what I'm doing.Another option would be carrying the rifle empty and dropping a few rounds in when needed.
I don't plan on killing any bear unless it is attacking my calves and that's never happened.
Sometimes I think maybe I should just use the old Savage 110 in 30/06 for everything and keep the rest in the safe.A neighbor gave me some reloads he made up for his. 110 grain Sierras.Very mild and my rifle likes them.Would fill the bill for coyote nicely.Groundhogs are almost a thing of the past around here anymore.Don't have feral swine,yet.Don't want them,either.

SKS here, may not be able to hit a yote, but its kinda fun watching them change directions 2 or 3 times!

I've got a Ruger Mini14 Ranch rifle in 223 with 3-9x40 Tasco, 16inch barrel. Clips for it in 5rd, 10rd, and 30rd. Works great for dogs/coyotes and dog packs where several rounds are used or running shots. Short barrel makes it loud as heck but by far my favorite rifle I've ever owned. I can group it in 3inches out to 200yds, killed coyotes out to 250yds. Got a Rem R25(Ar10)in 243 but its bulky and heavy, mostly a bench gun or sitting gun, not truck gun. But point being 243 is my favorite caliber. However IMO the Ranch Rifle is the perfect truck gun

Latest posts