4wd tractor for haying

Help Support CattleToday:

we've got a number of tractors, and each has its purpose... we have a 4wd Ford county, which exclusively plows snow and cleans corrals, an IH 684 which does the heavy fieldwork and hay hauling, a Massey 165 which does the swathing, raking, baling and row crop work, and a little Leyland 154 that putters about, but is handy for sowing grain and running the combine.

Just remember that most any 4wd *can* do the work you do with a 2wd, but it will cost you more in the long run, if nothing else, in resale value. You can pick up a decent used 2wd tractor in nearly any power range for less than 15000... we paid 5500 for our Massey 165 15 years ago with 1600 hours on it, the thing is great on fuel, and 10 years from now when it has 6000 hours we can sell it for the same price... We don't abuse and overuse it since we have a bigger tractor to do the heavier work that would be too hard for it, so it's a very cost effective tractor... Yes, we *could* buy a $30,000, 80Hp 4x4 tractor which would replace the 165, the 684, as well as the County, but we'd be spending a lot more money all around... It's also nice to be able to hitch a little trailer to a tractor without having to unhook your baler first

my two cents in 200 words

I would agree with Nesikep. Most people these days use 4 wheel drive tractors for everything and many do not own a 2 wheel drive tractor unless it is old and tired. So when someone says they prefure a 4wd in the hay field I have to wonder what they are comparing it to.

It takes power to haul more weight around a field and these days fuel is not cheap. If you use a 2wd tractor you will use less power and can get by with a smaller tractor and use less fuel.

We have a newer 4wd and a newer 2wd. The 2wd is what we use haying because it uses less fuel, is quicker and takes our rough ground easier, at least on my old bones.

I have a 70hp Kubota 4WD with duals that I keep the loader arms and duals on year round. I will drop the bucket or spear when raking. But I never take the loader off. I keep the dual wheels on because the ride is easier. Just have to be careful on highway going from field to field. Dual wheels also help when moving roll bales. Provides more stability, less chance of roll over.

Latest posts