4020 Electrical Problem (Part II)

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Ok guys - appreciate all the help thus far. Just thought I'd bring those interested up to speed by starting a new thread and cleaning things up a little bit.

Here's the deal.

New switch is installed.

(In addition to the fresh 12v charging / starting system)

The isolator switches I installed seem to be working nicely - and have allowed me to resume normal operation of the tractor. The slow start issue was seemingly linked to the draw down on the batteries. With a full charge - and flipping my isolator switches when I'm done using the tractor at night - it starts beautifully the next day.

The alternator is putting 14.2 volts to the batteries at 1/3 throttle.

I do still have the following issues:

White wire when unhooked from alternator is showing 2v power with the key off. (I'm told this should be dead with the key off)

Grey wire behind key switch also shows this 2v stray power with switch off. This wire appears to be associated with the light switch also behind my key panel.

The lights, radio, blower fan - DO NOT run with the key switch in the off position.

Hooking up the previously broken off white wire behind the switch has had no noticable effect. (Batteries were charging without my white wire hooked to the switch)

Fuel guage is pegged out at full even with a 1/2 tank (goes to below "E" a minute or two after turning the key switch off??)

I'm unsure as to how I need to begin isolating things to determine where the draw is. There is no fuse panel that I am aware of - and not a "central" location to begin unhooking harness wires.

The isolator switches have seeminly solved my problem for the time being - at least I can get the cows fed!

Thanks for all the good information guys.

Could be any number of things, I don't own a Deere, but my Massey uses a diode on the charge circuit. If the diode is bad the voltage can pass through (the wrong direction) and cause problems. Just a thought.

Good luck

I've got a 4010 that has been changed over to 12V and I love it. One more Internet resource is on YTmag.com. Lots of experts on the John Deere forum who could help with the problem. try this for an online wiring diagram for a 4010, which is almost identical to the 4020.

http://www.geocities.com/gwece/deere/

I also read in your previous post that you have a fan and a radio that turned off when you turned the key off. Accessories like that should be powered by a relay activated by the key switch. That much current can cook the switch. If you want info on how to do that post back. 5 pin Bosch style relays are available at any Auto parts store and are cheap compared to that switch from Mother Deere.

Latest posts