40 ft gooseneck

Help Support CattleToday:

bull hauler 1

Reaction score
I was looking at the Featherlite 40ft stock trailer and it said the GTW was 25000lbs , does anybody any ideas on how many head I can fit in to it ?
Thanx

you can get 18hd at 1500lbs.that would be 2000lbs over.id use a 2ton truck pulling that trailer.you would blow a 1ton fast.

For 500 pounds calves, you can usually figure 6 square feet per head so if it's a 6' wide trailer, you can have 1 calf per foot of length.

However, 1000 lb cow doesn't necessarily need 12 square feet because she is taller so your using more volume of the trailer (height).

On a 40 foot featherlite I'm assuming is 7' wide, you could possibly have 46 head of 500 pounders (23,000 of cattle) but with the empty weight of the trailer you blow the top out of the trailers GVWR.

If the trailer weighs 8000 + 23000 of cattle your at 31,000. If 20% of the weight is on the truck (6200) the weight on the trailer axles is down to 24,800 so if the GVW is based on the axle rating, you may be OK but it had better have something rolling on the ground besides 6 tires rated at 3000 pounds each like most trailers do.

In my experience anything over 21' in aluminum, that you want to pack full of cattle will not take it for very long. I have used a 24' a good bit in steel. Featherlite makes very good trailers but the axle,tire combo just will not take it. The last one we bought we lower the axles and moved the fender wells and got adaptors to go to 19.5 wheels/ tires. I can look up the companys name that makes the wheels/adaptors, a lot of guys are putting them on pickups now because, you will bend the frame before you can hurt the tires.

I was just speaking about the heavier tires in general and the truck frames when I said "You will bend the frame before you hurt the tires" I like a steel trailer, a little heavier but, easier than acid washing to keep it shiny.

72887472.jpg

[email protected]":ydynild0 said:
In my experience anything over 21' in aluminum, that you want to pack full of cattle will not take it for very long.

How do you explain all of those aluminum 48' semis running up and down the roads everyday.

Latest posts