4 x 6 or 5 x 5 bales

Help Support CattleToday:

If you want I'll type it all out, but to get 75 you have the height and width backwards. Radius in a round bale comes from the 'height' side when viewed in a field, and the height part of the equation> pi x radius (squared) x Height is actually the width of the bale as we would view it on the ground.

I just bought some net wrapped 5 x 6 bales, $45 a bale. I weighed about a half dozen of them as they were being off loaded, averaged 1250 pounds. We just pulled our bales off the field last week (only got 25, but we grazed the field in early spring so there was not as much growth), those bales are 4.5 x 5, and average 1050 pounds. I thought the 5 x 6 would be heavier, and they look tight but when we had the extension out to pull samples for testing he was able to get right in them without much difficulty. Our bales took him a lot more work to pull a core sample, and he noted they were harder to drill. I think ours are tighter...
Thus, size does not matter as much as how tight the bale was rolled.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3pnsdf1a said:

Bingo! :nod:

My Hesston 5500 baler with spring tension would make 5x5 bales weighing around 800 lbs.

My Hesston 856A baler with hydraulic tension makes 5x5 bales weighing around 1300 lbs.

The outside dimensions might be the same, but you and your tractor certainly notice the difference when you pick the bale up :idea:

Fire Sweep Ranch":2fs4mhdt said:
I just bought some net wrapped 5 x 6 bales, $45 a bale. I weighed about a half dozen of them as they were being off loaded, averaged 1250 pounds. We just pulled our bales off the field last week (only got 25, but we grazed the field in early spring so there was not as much growth), those bales are 4.5 x 5, and average 1050 pounds. I thought the 5 x 6 would be heavier, and they look tight but when we had the extension out to pull samples for testing he was able to get right in them without much difficulty. Our bales took him a lot more work to pull a core sample, and he noted they were harder to drill. I think ours are tighter...

your bales are 88.35cf, 11.88 lbs per cubic foot

the 5x6 141.37 cf, 8.84 lbs per cubic foot :mad:

When glenn bales mine I will get a few weighed to see what they weight just to see.

Fire Sweep Ranch":8o2g5q8b said:

What baler are you baling those 4.5 x 5 bales with?????

Rajela":1ixfhwve said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":1ixfhwve said:

What baler are you baling those 4.5 x 5 bales with?????

We have someone bale for us, so I am not sure. I have never paid much attention, other than I think it is red. He has been baling for us for 6 years now, and always puts up a great bale! We store OUR bales on wooden pallets, since we do not get many, so the bottoms do not rot and I can feed the entire bale without waste. The last 3 years we have entered our hay in the hay contest at the local district fair, and have won two out of those three years. It is a pain when you win, since you have to then bring one of the bales up to the fairgrounds to be on display the two weeks the fair runs! And the fair is about an hour away... We just enter them because the extension comes out and takes the sample for you.... which is WAY easier than renting the probe and doing it yourself ;-)

B&M Farms":2sxx2vyy said:
4x6
3.14 x 9 x 4 = 113.04 cu. ft.

5x5
3.14 x 6.25 x 5 = 98.125 cu. ft.

In your example, 6 is the diameter, wth 3 for a radius. I had the bale shaped the other way. 4 as diameter , an 2 for the radius.

Bigfoot":28oss3cw said:
B&M Farms":28oss3cw said:
4x6
3.14 x 9 x 4 = 113.04 cu. ft.

5x5
3.14 x 6.25 x 5 = 98.125 cu. ft.

In your example, 6 is the diameter, wth 3 for a radius. I had the bale shaped the other way. 4 as diameter , an 2 for the radius.

Me too. :oops:

thommoos":2t27uesq said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2t27uesq said:

your bales are 88.35cf, 11.88 lbs per cubic foot

the 5x6 141.37 cf, 8.84 lbs per cubic foot :mad:

When glenn bales mine I will get a few weighed to see what they weight just to see.

With my old New Holland 282 square baler I make bales that are usually right around 80 lbs... which are 16 x 18 x 42 = 7 cu ft, and that works out to 11.42 lb/cu ft.... And I can say those are some TIGHT bales.. when I pop the strings they REALLY pop.. I hardly use a knife anymore to open them, I just give a string a yank (we use the heavy stuff) and it just snaps, and the bale opens up like a banana.. Everyone who buys hay from me comments on how tight and heavy my bales are

Latest posts