4 week old orphan

Help Support CattleToday:

dandkadams

Reaction score
We just got a 4 week old orphan. Simmental / red Angus cross.
Poor babe lost mum at birth, was thrown on a dairy cow that lost her own calf, then pulled yesterday so they could start keeping the milk.
She had a good feed just before we got her at 5pm yesterday so today we'll have to start her on replacer.
She's in with a sweet 12 week old weaned jersey. Hopefully the Jersey will teach her to eat grain and hay.

Any suggestions to help keep her healthy or just keep doing what were doing?
I've done bottle but only from birth.

Attachments

• PXL_20220409_210056196.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220409_210056196.PORTRAIT.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220409_210609495.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220409_210609495.PORTRAIT.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 10
Sometimes it's difficult to get em to take a bottle that far along. Sometimes they will drink from a bucket better. Then again, some calves will suck just about anything.

If you have difficulty, I'd suggest skipping a bottle and trying again. IF you want to bottle her. If your ok with a bucket that works too!

I've had a couple that size/age start on grain and high quality hay and do ok. They just grow slower.

She needs to be eating grain daily for several days b4 ya wean her from milk.

Suckling a bottle opens the esophageal groove such that the replacer goes to the right stomach. It is vacuum. Don't take my word for it. Search this out on the internet. You do not get that with a bucket which is why I am opposed to bucket feeding. When I have done the older calves they are close quartered in a medina hinged gate. Back them in such that their back side is on the wall and they can back no farther. Let them get hungry. Then off the bottle and they could have to be force fed at the start. Once they get started, you are set. You might have to put them in the medina a few times.

Thanks so much for the help! We got her cornered and on yesterday afternoon finally! She took about 2 minutes to realize it was tasty food and down it lol. This morning she took it with zero problem.
Now to hope she does okay on replacer and doesn't get the scours.
Thanks again!!