4 month old heifer calf problem

Help Support CattleToday:

mknp1

Reaction score
I bought a heifer calf from a guy back in july. She was supposed to be 5 weeks old at the time. When I first got her she was kind of sick. Nothing too major just a little scours and some coughing. I gave her 2 doses of draxxin wormed her and ivermec and she was acting fine except she still had her cough. I did not vaccinate her because she had supposedly already had it done. I fed her milk replacer for the next 5 weeks after that and then put her out to pasture with the other cows. Everything looked like it was going ok for the first couple of weeks. She was grazing and interacting with the other cows. But she wasn't gaining in the stomach area like the other calves did. She always seemed sucked in. 4 days ago I went to give them water and I noticed she wasn't with the others so I went to find her. She was laying down but sitting up. I tried to get her to get up but she wouldn't. Finally I lifted her up and stood her up. She seemed weak and still looked sucked in. But she stood on her own and would walk when forced to. I brought her back out of the field where I could keep an eye on her. As soon as we left the field she pooped and it looked kinda out of the ordinary. It was very large diameter and came out like a tube of playdoh. It looked slimey on the outside and was a light green in color. It didn't resemble the other cows at all. When I put her up by the house she was grazing for the next several hours. I left her alone and went to bed. The next morning when I went out there it was the same thing. Looked sucked in and wouldn't get up on her own. I picked her up and she started grazing and walking around. I thought maybe she needed more milk and wasn't ready to wean. So I gave her some milk replacer and a shot of tetracycline in case there was something that needed it to start treatment early. She didn't want the bottle and after 6 weeks of not drinking milk it was like she forgot how to. I ended up tubing her to get the extra protein in her. after that she grazed. At nite she took the bottle and sucked it down. the next morning another shot another dose of probiotics I still had to stand her up and she drank the milk morning and at night. throughout the day when she would lay down I would let her rest for a while then I would have to stand her back up lead her to water and she would graze. Today same routine but she wouldn't drink the milk at all. I tubed her this morning and didn't give a bottle at night. She is still grazing when I pick her up and will do that for awhile before she lays back down. all the time she lays down she has her head up.4 days later no real improvement. Not getting worse but not getting better. This calf will not eat any grain. she nibbles on it then goes for grass. I don't think she likes it. I have tried 3 different brands. All the same result. So bottom line is She will not get up on her own acts depressed grazes and walks on her own as long as I lift her up and wont drink from a bottle. Still looks sucked in around the gut. It is a little better then a few days ago but not much. She doesn't eat a lot but she does eat. I live in central Kentucky and she is supposed to be a Hereford but I think she is mixed. Sorry for the long post I just wanted to include as much info as possible. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You

What kind and how much grain is she getting per day? If none, that would be her problem. A 4 month old calf can't get adequate nutrition out of just grass.

Have you tried a Selenium shot (Bose) and a Vit A/D shot. I find that this perks them up good if they are a bit weak or frail. But I agree with Dun. She needs more groceries besides grass!

I am having problems locating a selenium shot around here. The only thing I can locate is a mineral block with selenium in it. But I am afraid that wont be good enough. I will keep trying to find the selenium. Do you all have any ideas on how to get her to eat it? I have always offered fresh sweet feed to her on a daily basis. But she will not eat it. Just take a nibble and walks away. She has been doing this ever since I received her. Any advice would help.
Thank You

The only selenium I found was a selenium and vitamin E oral paste. I had to drive 30 miles away to get it but I got that and a vitamin A/D shot and a vitamin B high complex shot. I just gave her all of that. I lifted her on her feet at 8 this morning and 4 hours later she is still up grazing a little with a lot of staring into nowhere. Still can not find a way to get her to eat the sweet feed. All she wants to eat is grass. Any suggestions?
Thank You

I cant get it from the vet until the middle of the week. I hope she lasts that long.
Thanks

Around here, when you go to buy Selenium, they just call into a vets office for you and take a phone order. We have Walco supply here that just keeps a standing order for me because it is part of my routine vaccination program for all my cattle. Then I booster calves as needed. When I was in Oregon, the Farm Supply stores had a standing order from a vet. You just signed for it and stated your use. So it is different everywhere. The blocks are pretty useless. I have seen cattle with the blocks be deficient. They just dont get enough out of them. I am not saying the Selenium is your answer......just wondering if she has some deficiency is all. For all we know, she could have been born with a defect or something. No way of knowing without a vet. Have you tried Calf Manna??

I tried the calf mana. A different brand of calf starter and 2 different types of sweet feed. She wont touch any of them. Never has. I have been trying all different ways today because she has all but stopped eating grass. I just had to tube her a bottle just to try and get her to absorb something. It seems like today she has taken a turn for the worse side. The vitamin A D B shot and selenium vitamin E paste doesn't seem to of had really any effect. Any advice is really appreciated and I thank you all for your time.

Only vet is out of the area till the middle of the next week. I checked her over again tonight and couldn't see any reason for her acting this way. Doesn't show pain anywhere I push squeeze or poke. But she is grinding her teeth. I just don't know why. The only thing I found out of the ordinary is she has what feels and sounds like a gas bubble in her upper abdomen right below the spine on her left side in the triangle area. I cant recall feeling this on any other calf but I have had to look this hard at any other calf. There problems are usually apparent.
Thank You

Just does not sound good....sounds like you may soon loose her without some vet help. So sorry, other than tubing her, I just don't know what else to suggest.

I tried everything. I was hoping she would make until the vet could see her. Died today. I just hope it was only a problem with just her. Sure is strange. She didn't really fit the signs of really any specific sickness. I want to thank you all for all of your help. I tried everything that was suggested.

Latest posts