4-H Show Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Ribeye

Reaction score
Just thought I would post some pics I had of some show steers that will be shown and sold on the 13th of this month. I would appreciate some constructive criticism. I know the pics aren't the best in the world.
DSCF0025.JPG
DSCF0023.JPG

They're not the flashiest show steers I've seen, but they appear to be finished as well as I've seen. If they're sold on market price plus a buyers premium I would bet you'll get a top market price. Good luck with them.

Killala":1t1m3enu said:
sorry, I can't put my finger on it why but they don't exactly grab me.

I think it is because they don't have that "club calve" look. They appear to be nice market steers that I'm sure will grade well. I would even guess that the might be home raised instead of store bought.

Thanks, everyone for the reply like I said those pics don't show them just real good either. Like I said they will be shown and sold on the 13th so maybe then I can get some better pics. You hit the nail square on the head Jovid they are not store bought they are out of working cattle not cattle that will melt if you put them to work in the pasture.

Chris H":3q0ch7q0 said:
KNERSIE":3q0ch7q0 said:
why are they tied to the tractor?

Kind of looks like Ribeye has it set up to walk the steers, doesn't it?

Thats what I thought as well. If they are halterbroke I just won't take the chance myself with the show so near in the future. (That doesn't mean I haven't got desperate in the past myself and have done that)

Well, at that particular time they where tied to the tractor just because it happened to be sitting there plus I don't really have anywhere else in my barnyard to tie them. But that bar that you see on the back of the tractor was made just for walking calves. I use it just to mainly walk them when I am by myself. Although, with fuel this a way I may have to get over it. Plus I like it once I start breaking some calves.

By the way Knersie what chance a you talking about?

I like them....Where about are you selling finished steers in mid TN this month?....(nice Kubota - they're so great for jetting around the farm.)

Jovid":1tggxiv6 said:
Killala":1tggxiv6 said:

I think it is because they don't have that "club calve" look. They appear to be nice market steers that I'm sure will grade well. I would even guess that the might be home raised instead of store bought.

Jovid, we dont have 'club calves' here in Australia so I dont think that is it. Most Australian steers look more like these than the other steers posted here regularly.

Carla, I think it might be the photos, combined with the fact that these steers look a bit wastey (or maybe cos their not shorties? ;-) )

Keren":2yyut3mt said:
Jovid":2yyut3mt said:
Killala":2yyut3mt said:

Jovid, we dont have 'club calves' here in Australia so I dont think that is it. Most Australian steers look more like these than the other steers posted here regularly.

Carla, I think it might be the photos, combined with the fact that these steers look a bit wastey (or maybe cos their not shorties? ;-) )

Definitely NOT because they don't look like club calves.... I haven't seen to many of them I'd be pleased to show.

I'd like to see a birds eye view of them... still can't put my finger on it... not that I don't think they'll dress well- I think they wont' be too bad- but they wouldn't be in my top ten to show.

This might upset some people but i would take these 2 steers over a club calf any day. If your put them in a pasture they won't shrivel up within a week because they are working cattle. If you took most of them club calves and their dams adn put them i na pature most of them wouldn't be able to survive. What is the point of raising cattle that can't work or pull their weight besides to get ribons. If they can't perform on a pasture what good are they to developing a breed and making them stronger. Club calves are for people that pamper their cattle and have lots of money to spend just to get some ribbons. I don't care how many ribbons that bull they raised won if it can't perform i na pasture and maintain its weight adn body score it is worthless. There i got my ranting out. Not saying im right but that is how i feel about the subject. Same thing has happened to Boer goats in the US they have been bread fro showing and most can no longer perform like they were originally bred in africa to do.

iowafarmer":1asvqbas said:
This might upset some people but i would take these 2 steers over a club calf any day. If your put them in a pasture they won't shrivel up within a week because they are working cattle. If you took most of them club calves and their dams adn put them i na pature most of them wouldn't be able to survive. What is the point of raising cattle that can't work or pull their weight besides to get ribons. If they can't perform on a pasture what good are they to developing a breed and making them stronger. Club calves are for people that pamper their cattle and have lots of money to spend just to get some ribbons. I don't care how many ribbons that bull they raised won if it can't perform i na pasture and maintain its weight adn body score it is worthless. There i got my ranting out. Not saying im right but that is how i feel about the subject. Same thing has happened to Boer goats in the US they have been bread fro showing and most can no longer perform like they were originally bred in africa to do.

As much as i hate to agree with people.... IOWAFARMER is right.. Those 2 calves are STEERS! not clubbies.

iowafarmer":27fnt9he said:

I have to say I agree with you, that's why I said they were finished as nice as any I've seen. I probably should have added they looked finished nicer than 95% of the clubby steers out there.

Chris H":kfvc4k8a said:
iowafarmer":kfvc4k8a said:

I have to say I agree with you, that's why I said they were finished as nice as any I've seen. I probably should have added they looked finished nicer than 95% of the clubby steers out there.

I would make a bet that their carcasses will grade better than the club calves.

When we get the results back from the carcass show I will let ya''ll know how we did. Because most of you seem to be like me interested in how they do on the rail. For a producer like me that is where it's at anyway not inside a show ring. Although for my stepdaughter's sake I hope she does pretty good in the ring because she doesn't quite understand the big picture yet.(puts me in mind of a lot of grown people that show but she has a excuse she is just 11)

Latest posts