4/24/2020 Happenings on the Hurley Farm

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
About three days ago I had a 2nd calve cow birth a dead calf. She did not shed the placenta. So I got her up in the loading pen which was pretty easy. Lucky I got the trailer backed up on the first try. She walked up to the back of the trailer and stuck her head in. I slapped her on the hip and she nailed me on the left knee cap. I made it to the vet to clean her out. At the moment I have two Alieves in my system and my wife rubbed some kind of boot leg CBD ointment and it seemed to help. Only time it hurts is when I move.

hurleyjd said:
About three days ago I had a 2nd calve cow birth a dead calf. She did not shed the placenta. So I got her up in the loading pen which was pretty easy. Lucky I got the trailer backed up on the first try. She walked up to the back of the trailer and stuck her head in. I slapped her on the hip and she nailed me on the left knee cap. I made it to the vet to clean her out. At the moment I have two Alieves in my system and my wife rubbed some kind of boot leg CBD ointment and it seemed to help. Only time it hurts is when I move.
Apply ice to the cow kicked knee as much as possible. Avoid alcohol while taking the alieves. Never get behind a cow or calf close enough to get kicked. I think it was all Trump's fault.

jltrent said:
hurleyjd said:
Apply ice to the cow kicked knee as much as possible. Avoid alcohol while taking the alieves. Never get behind a cow or calf close enough to get kicked. I think it was all Trump's fault.

I disagree except for the application of ice. If your as close as you can get then all the cow can do is push you away instead of the full length kick. And Alcohol is always a pain reliever

kenny thomas said:
jltrent said:
hurleyjd said:

I disagree except for the application of ice. If your as close as you can get then all the cow can do is push you away instead of the full length kick. And Alcohol is always a pain reliever
Do you think Trump was any at fault he gets blamed for everything?

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug
It can treat fever and pain.
Brands: Aleve, Anaprox DS, Mediproxen, Flanax (naproxen), Wal-Proxen, Naprelan CR, All Day Pain Relief, All Day Relief, Comfort Pac-Naproxen, Ec-Naprosyn, and more
Availability: Prescription sometimes needed
Pregnancy: Consult a doctor
Alcohol: Avoid. Very serious interactions can occur...

You have been around a lot more cattle than me as I agree on the closeness to the cow.

OUCH!!! :cry2: 🩹 That makes me hurt!!! I hope it feels better soon.

Yea put ice on it numb it, than you can't feel it as much. Or sit on it until it goes to sleep. 😝🤡

If you get kicked by a cow and it hurts, it just means you haven't been kicked enough. Got to build up a tolerance to those kind of things.

:lol:

haase said:
kenny thomas said:
Trump probably doesn't know what getting kicked by a cow is.
Trump might not know what it's like, but on that farm it's his fault.
I was messing with hurleyjd when I said that. I hope his knee is alright as those kicks can be dangerous.

kenny thomas said:
jltrent said:
hurleyjd said:

Yeh but they can $hit on you then instead

hurleyjd said:
About three days ago I had a 2nd calve cow birth a dead calf. She did not shed the placento I made it to the vet to clean her out.
What happened to the modern advice to not clean it out, but to wait?
Personally, It seems to me that it might be best to go ahead and clean it out.
If you wait and still have to clean it out you now have a stinking mess to work with. :yuck:
Of course I tend to be a bit old fashioned. :roll:

I got the ever lovin' snot kicked outta me by a giant she-beast a few months ago. In her defense, I think she saw the wad of netting I was holding in her peripheral vision (we were putting out bales) and WHAM. My entire left thigh, even down past my knee cap, looked like a giant eggplant. I have never had a bruise that massive and swollen, actually amazed she didn't break my femur. Hurt like a sonofabytch! Plus I was still recovering from a mangled, broken big toe on my right foot (wrong place at the wrong time).

Buy some cattle, they said. It'll be fun, they said! :cboy:

I have been hobbling around today. Managed to get on the lawn mower and mow the yard. The tendons behind the knee are really sore and hurting when I flex the leg. I think i will live so all of you folks that prayed for me and wished me well then thank you.

Ryder said:
hurleyjd said:
About three days ago I had a 2nd calve cow birth a dead calf. She did not shed the placento I made it to the vet to clean her out.
If you wait and still have to clean it out you now have a stinking mess to work with. :yuck:
Ryder I know most here thing I"m crazy but I absolutely will not allow a cow to walk around for days with afterbirth in her. She will be taken care of.

jltrent said:
hurleyjd said:

Rumour has it he (Trumpster) thinks if your head is close enough, it may cure Corona. I tend to agree.

If she got you fair and square, I would prob be going to Drs, cause there may be some damage.

TexasBred said:
Ryder said:
hurleyjd said:
Ryder I know most here thing I"m crazy but I absolutely will not allow a cow to walk around for days with afterbirth in her. She will be taken care of.

I do think you're crazy :lol: but I agree. Get it out right away. I have had a cow die from this. Only took 3 days for the infection to get her. I spent months trying to save her and she still died. Its actually worse when the calf is dead and you leave it. Many times that calf and the placenta started rotting before you found it.

hurleyjd said:
I have been hobbling around today. Managed to get on the lawn mower and mow the yard. The tendons behind the knee are really sore and hurting when I flex the leg. I think i will live so all of you folks that prayed for me and wished me well then thank you.

I missed this part.

You be from Texas.

You been mowing.

It is ok too seek some attention now and then, but, get out there and get on with it..... lol....and shoot that virus if you see it. Honestly, if a nastay cow really got you, I think you would not be mowing, or even hobbling if right on the cap.

Maybe she is a poor kicker, I have one that does a mean roundhouse, it ain't far from the chest area on me and she is still growing....she hit a curious steer in the head the other day, some girlfriend she would make...lol. :banana:

Latest posts