3n1 worth

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
Went to a sale today. They had a few 3n1's, cows heavy on s a f connection, some double bred on the dam side. Nine yr old cows with 5-6oo pound (supposedly) wt. calves on them, some calves finer boned, some good calves, and bred back to herd sires with sydgen connection and s a f connection lines. Cows were in good condition, bags were decent, teeth unknown, no papers came with them, weighing 1400 ish. Production sale, off one farm. What were they worth?

Here's how I would figure it, calves 500 to 600lbs, depends on exact size and steer or heifer, but you could figure them at 900$, then a good black 1st or 2nd period 9 year old, so it's really a short and solid worth 14 or 1500$. So split I guess up to 2400$, as a pair I would like to be in them for less than the split value.

Well that's what I thought. I allowed them 1800 for bred cow, including a premium. (for knowing where they came from, vaccs, how they were bred, knowing the people, etc). I allowed 850 per calf regardless of quality (in reality they were somewhat even but you always have a top and bottom). So, I was at 2650. That was all I could make myself do, possibly 2800 on one of the sets that they were using a calf out of that cow for a herd bull. Her current bull calf had a low birth weight, and I expect to have some heifers, at least some kind of number of them, out of this set of calves. He would match. That's where they set them in. 2800, and went to 3450. ( Range of 2950-3450)

I was just wondering if I was missing something there. Maybe not allowing enough for the intangibles of what I mentioned above, or the "quality heifer maker" aspect. This group said their cows have some longevity, some as old as 15. But, they are still 9 already.

I watched nearly 600 head of 3-n-1 ranging from 2yrs to SS average a little more than $3100 a couple of Fridays ago. Calves were generally 300-400lbs. Commercial cows too.

Latest posts