What's he worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
What dollar value do you put on this fall steer? Born August 26th, probably getting close to the 400 lb mark, but definitely a solid 350 lbs. He's currently the biggest steer in the fall group. Have to ship his mother here shortly due to cancer eye and I'll likely sell him to my neighbor who takes my odds and ends. I only sell him the best, the junk goes the regular market route - so he always pays me top dollar. The price I have figured is $1000 CDN, which currently would be just shy of $700 US.

IMG_20160118_113949_zpsg2o21i1z.jpg

I'd say $675 usa or 975 Canadian.
I bought a pair of A.I. sired purebred Hereford heifers last month weighing 460 lbs for 1.25 lb = $575 (1.81 can) ($832 can)
I would have gone higher, tickled that I got 'em for under $600 but they would have sold even cheaper had I not bid that day.
He's 100 lbs lighter, but a good looking steer and prices are up over last month...so that's how I arrived at $675 or ($975 can)

Nesikep":1qqs6rz6 said:
I guess if you like the guy, $1k seems like the going consensus, if you don't like him, by my market number $1200 :)

No, he is good to me and pays well. I've got a lone yearling heifer that needs to go on a date with his heifer bull this summer, so I better not get too greedy or I know the stud service will be pricey. :D

Probably here in WV you could not get more than $600 for him. right before Christmas they sold good 5 wts for less than a $1.00.

Aaron":1yx2w1l2 said:
Nesikep":1yx2w1l2 said:
I guess if you like the guy, $1k seems like the going consensus, if you don't like him, by my market number $1200 :)

No, he is good to me and pays well. I've got a lone yearling heifer that needs to go on a date with his heifer bull this summer, so I better not get too greedy or I know the stud service will be pricey. :D

You got sale barns in your area that post up the prices?

Seems to me as you got a good thing going with the guy.. let him make an offer to see how good he is to you.

Nesi, I'm a price maker, not taker. Just because people are good to each other doesn't mean there isn't a little Jew in them counting the pennies.

Closest markets with regular sales and posted prices would be Winnipeg and Grunthal, MB. I always use them to figure out current prices, minus 5 cents a pound, as that is the cost to get them from here to there.

Latest posts