Ft. Worth Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

I thought you said cattle prices were down?

From the pictures shown I don't see what's so exceptional about him.. 18 months and 1300 lbs isn't that much to brag about

It's all about the kids. Either it is a corporation that buys the champion steer every year, or maybe even a friend of the family contributing to his college fund.......

Did you see the blind steer that a little girl raised? It took her months just to gain its trust. But she got it done.

branguscowgirl":1tttnpft said:
It's all about the kids. Either it is a corporation that buys the champion steer every year, or maybe even a friend of the family contributing to his college fund.......

Did you see the blind steer that a little girl raised? It took her months just to gain its trust. But she got it done.
Oh so now we have to pay 20x times amount of steer price to just a buy a steer from a young kid? To me its just stupid.

Good for the little girl.

Muddy":34u6d6fm said:
Oh so now we have to pay 20x times amount of steer price to just a buy a steer from a young kid? To me its just stupid.

Lots of times the buyer will donate the steer back to the kids or eat it themselves. We used to have several grocery stores that would compete for the county grand champ at the auction. Whichever store that bought it would have it slaughtered and put it in their meat case. They would only mark it up a dime per lb and make a display advertising the fact. That steer will not affect the market at all.

Ive been involved with super markets buying steers. Winn Dixie (The Beef People) used to buy the grand champion every year. Big fan fair, Photo would be placed above the case with the cuts in the case. They would charge more for it . I do not remember what we charged at this point but once it was in the case the seller would come and get another picture made also. It was a honor to have a grand champion.

Muddy":1cgdeb5z said:
branguscowgirl":1cgdeb5z said:

No Muddy, you don't "have to pay 20x times amount"! Buy a regular steer!! This is to help the kids. A donation of sort. It doesn't affect the cattle market at all!
If you and Sky "don't get it," you don't understand what the program is all about. It has absolutely nothing to do with the cattle market:?

I totally get it, its for kids but its unnecessary to pay $210,000 for a kid's steer. That $210,000 alone can easily paid the entire tuition for a master degree and still have extra $$$ left.

As I understand it, the owner only gets a set portion or percentage of that price.
The rest goes into a kitty to pay the other branded steers an extra premium.
I believe that varies from year to year, based upon the amount of money donated.

Muddy":1cl4cd86 said:
I totally get it, its for kids but its unnecessary to pay $210,000 for a kid's steer. That $210,000 alone can easily paid the entire tuition for a master degree and still have extra $$$ left.
A lot of things are unnecessary. Ft worth champion steers have been bringing extraordinarily high prices for years, maybe the highest of any show? I'm not sure, but it's not new and not likely to change because a few people on the internet don't understand. I don't understand why anyone would pay $100/month for a cell phone, but a lot of people do it.

Muddy":19qt2fyy said:

There's alot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes. I saw two brothers that farm together as partners bidding against one another on bulls? Don't believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.

Latest posts