350,000 Dollar Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":2nd5fqcg said:
Who would have ever thunk about crossing a limousin with another breed? Even a few simmi people keep a few old limi's out on the back forty.

:lol:

Red Bull Breeder":pn8lyvv9 said:
Who would have ever thunk about crossing a limousin with another breed? Even a few simmi people keep a few old limi's out on the back forty.

Been there, and have one red limi flex in the bull pen today. We are moving towards a red angus/herford/continental cross.
The thing I can not understand is the attraction for straight bred black xxxx.

WalnutCrest":pgc76k4y said:
Limousin for feed efficiency?

I think I'd pick another French breed well before I'd pick them ...

:hide:
Most data that I've seen shows about a 70% correlation between RFI on feed and cowherd efficiency on range. Limousins as a breed RFI really well. Do you have RFI data on your cattle?

We are trying a Balancer. Still too early to make judgement. But will likely stay angus(red & black) crossed with Hereford. They sell at the top in this area and they do well in our environment. If the Balancer works then we will work some in. But from what I've seen of the Gelveigh females it will likely be more for a terminal cross. We are going to keep a couple of the top heifers if they continue to look good and just see what kind of mothers they make. They are out of good uddered cows so maybe that will help with that issue.

cow pollinater":2lh9oapc said:
Most data that I've seen shows about a 70% correlation between RFI on feed and cowherd efficiency on range. Limousins as a breed RFI really well. Do you have RFI data on your cattle?

No RFI, but we are starting to count "condition" for culling. We usually use a two strike rule so if you are a tall thin cow you better be really really good in all other areas.
I have never seen a thin limi cow. Sometimes they are not real maternal so that is the trade off. If you like big calm cows the limi x herf wf F1 is an interesting cross with a lot of length. Then you could go terminal angus for a feedlot calf.

Stocker Steve":26wh03n0 said:
cow pollinater":26wh03n0 said:

No RFI, but we are starting to count "condition" for culling. We usually use a two strike rule so if you are a tall thin cow you better be really really good in all other areas.
I have never seen a thin limi cow. Sometimes they are not real maternal so that is the trade off. If you like big calm cows the limi x herf wf F1 is an interesting cross with a lot of length. Then you could go terminal angus for a feedlot calf.

I have seen some thin Limi cows. We select for easy fleshing regardless of breed. I think that is important but some don't. When I select a replacement female I don't pay attention to color. I want them to be good regardless of color. I have heard the sayings that "they are well muscled for a Hereford", "they are good footed for an Angus". When selecting I want them good and don't think you should be more lenient for certain traits just because of breed.

sim.-ang.king":2dvj9gdh said:
You can bet it didn't really sell. It just traded hands, like most high dollar bulls.
I agree. With cattle prices where they are now, I can't see the justification of spending this kind of money on a bull or even a cow for that matter. How long would it take to pay for this with straws selling for $25 - $35 each? Would like to better understand the reasoning behind buying cattle at these high prices.

kilroy60":1gxs3bmu said:
sim.-ang.king":1gxs3bmu said:
You can bet it didn't really sell. It just traded hands, like most high dollar bulls.
I agree. With cattle prices where they are now, I can't see the justification of spending this kind of money on a bull or even a cow for that matter. How long would it take to pay for this with straws selling for $25 - $35 each? Would like to better understand the reasoning behind buying cattle at these high prices.
Select Sires bought Comrade for $40,000 and Capitalist for $120,000
ABS bought Front and Center for $50,000 and Regulator $62,500
Accelerated paid $35,000 for Glory

Seems to me if A.I. studs aren't willing to buy a certain bull outright for themselves they must deem the risk/return
is too great and just do leasing contracts for semen sales and let the syndicates take the risk on the crazy prices.

Seems to me if A.I. studs aren't willing to buy a certain bull outright for themselves they must deem the risk/return
is too great and just do leasing contracts for semen sales and let the syndicates take the risk on the crazy prices.

They already have plenty of unproven bulls that disappear quick enough after folks as guinea pigs try them out. No wonder the Angus breed is constantly trying to fix feet, legs, udders, disposition, ... The best money ever spent is higher dollars per straw on proven bulls and leave the minor league bulls for others to trial and cull.

Since I've been off the board for a while (long story), I didn't want either of you (RBB and CP) to think I was intentionally avoiding your questions --- I may be gone for a good while again, so please pardon any lengthy gap between this post and my next:

I said the following as it regarded Limousin's and efficiency:

WalnutCrest":15dkffpv said:
Limousin for feed efficiency?

I think I'd pick another French breed well before I'd pick them ...

:hide:

Then,
Red Bull Breeder":15dkffpv said:
Selection makes all the difference. Walnut Crest I would guess you have a lot of experience with Limousin? So maybe you could explain to me just what your problems with them are.

Very limited experience w/ Limousin, actually. The experience I have is this --- I ran five half Aubrac / Limousin cows alongside a similar sized group of fullblood Aubracs. The F1s fell apart; the Aubracs did fine. The F1s (Aubrac x. Limousin) had good temperaments and were excellent mothers; they just melted alongside my Aubracs when they were asked to make due on pasture alone. Oh, and the F1s were excellent (!!!) eating.

cow pollinater":15dkffpv said:

No. I don't have RFI data on our cattle like you'd get at a feedlot, etc.

What I have is (i) actual stories from others who've run Aubrac steers in a feedlot alongside commercial angus steers in a feedlot --- and in the same amount of time, the Aubracs grew to (iirc) 95-98% of the size of the Angus and did so on 70% the feed and with 10% of the vet bills ... and ... (ii) personal experience running Aubracs alongside cattle of other breeds.

The only one that's been able to keep up consistently have been the Mashonas, although a handful of commercial black angus recip cows have done fine (but it's taken quite a bit more feed input and more time with the vet for them to keep up, which I guess means they didn't keep up either).

Today, I'm not in a position to do much more than share my stories with my main cattle (Aubracs and Mashonas) as I manage them alongside cattle of other breeds (commercial hereford, commercial 'solid black', commercial black baldy (herf and simmy), commercial red angus and the F1 Aubrac x. Limousin cows mentioned earlier).

Again, sorry for being so tardy to respond. Hope you guys are having a good summer.

I kinda believe your a liar. Been running limousin cattle for 30 plus years on nothing but pasture. They have done just fine. Them aubuckles might be alright I wouldn't know. But I do know Limousin.

WalnutCrest":3n7m6us4 said:
No. I don't have RFI data on our cattle like you'd get at a feedlot, etc.

What I have is (i) actual stories from others who've run Aubrac steers in a feedlot alongside commercial angus steers in a feedlot --- and in the same amount of time, the Aubracs grew to (iirc) 95-98% of the size of the Angus and did so on 70% the feed and with 10% of the vet bills ... and ... (ii) personal experience running Aubracs alongside cattle of other breeds.
That doesn't cut it for me. I'm not doubting you at all as I suspect Aubracs are fairly efficient at converting feed but commercial angus doesn't tell me much as most of them don't RFI all that well and unless you measure actual feed intake you really don't have any way of knowing how much they gain per pound of feed. Easy fleshing and feed conversion are not the same thing.

Bought a bunch of broken mouth Limi cows at a dispersal. Culled two that were huge. The rest are still in the pasture and fat. They hold condition better than any breed I run except for Hereford. I suspect they eat a bit more but I have no way to measure that.

Latest posts