300-400 lb calves - What % of diet should come from hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Background: It's been a tough summer here in Arkieland. I weaned some calves off some heifers that have had a hard summer. Neither the calf nor the heifers looked good. I have the calves up and have been feeding about 5lb/day 14% feed along w/ free choice hay. I'm trying to get them to slick up a little. Assuming a calf eats 3% of its body weight per day, a 300 lb calf will eat 9 pounds per day. If I'm feeding about 5 lb/day 14% feed, is he eating 4lb hay? What is the minimum hay they need in their system? Thanks

Hey Arkieman, I'm south of you here in north central LA. I would figure your at the minimum on hay percentage. I know your feeding and that's not cheap. I would like to share that I have found free choice minerals help alot. I use specified min. 12% for Calcium, it's actually Purina Beef Cattle on Pasture livestock mineral. This should fill in the gaps and help the hay and feed do the trick. The hay really just keeps the rumen working, and it helps them generate body heat when the temps get lower. Don't cut short on the minerals though. If they are really lacking then you may have to let them get built up alittle before a good deworming will help. There are alot of good books with tips on cattle available, too, like Storey's guide to raising beef cattle. I use it as a reference. I have been raising cattle since 2004. It's fun to read these forums, too. Later ARman, Dan. :)

danbrady":1uqpac7e said:
Hey Arkieman, I'm south of you here in north central LA. I would figure your at the minimum on hay percentage. I know your feeding and that's not cheap. I would like to share that I have found free choice minerals help alot. I use specified min. 12% for Calcium, it's actually Purina Beef Cattle on Pasture livestock mineral. This should fill in the gaps and help the hay and feed do the trick. The hay really just keeps the rumen working, and it helps them generate body heat when the temps get lower. Don't cut short on the minerals though. If they are really lacking then you may have to let them get built up alittle before a good deworming will help. There are alot of good books with tips on cattle available, too, like Storey's guide to raising beef cattle. I use it as a reference. I have been raising cattle since 2004. It's fun to read these forums, too. Later ARman, Dan. :)
Hay and/or grazing should be the biggest part of the cow/calves diet. It's much more than filler, heat generator and a filler. Feed good quality hay, let them eat all they want and limit the purchased feed. Roughage should always be a minimum of 50% of the diet and if it's good quality roughage, the higher the percentage of the diet the better. You'll save money and your calves will grow out just as well.

Latest posts