3 year old Hereford bull to critque

Help Support CattleToday:

tlmcr

Reaction score
06142007_003.jpg

I sold this bull as a 2 year old last summer. I took this picture as a three year old in his working clothes and I welcome all opinions.

Also this Bull was a twin out of a heifer. Sired by our Thunder son herd bull and out of a Postive Plus daughter.

I'm still learning so I won't dare critique your bull. I personally think he's a good lucking guy, but like I said, I'm still learning.

06142007_002.jpg

This is a rear view he is the bull on the left.

The bull profiling is also a 3 year old Postive Plus son I raised.

photos are still not telling me too much, or rather I'll reserve more detailed comments till I can see more. He is nice and wide though and very good condition for working clothes.

I don't like his eyeset, but overall I like him.

Unfortunatly those are the only photos I have and since the bull is 2 hours away in Missouri I will not have more anytime soon. Thanks for the comments.

KNERSIE wrote:

Could you please show me a pic with a good eyeset compared to a bad one? I'm lost on this one. I would have never thought to look for that. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Dick

I like his thickness and frame. Also doesn't look like you'll have to worry about hatchet-butts on your calves.

icandoit":1lmvxjzx said:
KNERSIE wrote:

Could you please show me a pic with a good eyeset compared to a bad one? I'm lost on this one. I would have never thought to look for that. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Dick

I'll try and show you, will send a PM later today

KNERSIE":1fo9n2wy said:
icandoit":1fo9n2wy said:
KNERSIE wrote:

Thanks
Dick

Go ahead and post it. Certainly would not hurt me to get a little more educated.

KNERSIE":r93sij3z said:
icandoit":r93sij3z said:
KNERSIE wrote:

Thanks
Dick

Knersie and I have been having PM discussions about eyeset. It's a trait that he views as important and I've been trying to recognize what he's seeing and selecting for.

I'll admit that I've done most of my selection based on the way cattle look from the head back. I've heard other breeders refer to "hooded" eyeset and have wondered what they were referring to, exactly.

I also wish Knersie would start a thread where we could discuss this.

George

He's a good looking bull. From what I know as far as eyes go . I look for the eyes well set into the head, with a strong fore head for added protection from the sun. If the eyes are bulging out (like Marty Feldman) don't keep it.
Yes I hope Kernsie start a thread about the eyes. He has alot of good information.

Joy in Texas":2ml93h8h said:
He's a good looking bull. From what I know as far as eyes go . I look for the eyes well set into the head, with a strong fore head for added protection from the sun. If the eyes are bulging out (like Marty Feldman) don't keep it.
Yes I hope Kernsie start a thread about the eyes. He has alot of good information.

Thanks! That information helps make the difference that Knersie was trying to show me in pictures much clearer!

Love the Marty Feldman reference!

George

Herefords.US":b7pkqbd6 said:
Joy in Texas":b7pkqbd6 said:

Thanks! That information helps make the difference that Knersie was trying to show me in pictures much clearer!

Love the Marty Feldman reference!

George

Joy has it spot on, I will succumb to peer pressure and start a thread, I am a very slow typist (two fingers) so it may take some time, but will start right now.

Latest posts