3 year old angus bull for the freezer?

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I know it's been on here a lot but my search didn't go well....I have a 3 year old angus bull that probably won't bring much at the sale and I'm thinking how would he taste???

I tried buchering a 4 yr bull one time and he didnt taste very good i will not do it again.

It will taste like mature beef (delicious), but it will be awfully chewy

Why do you think he won't bring much at the sale? Bulls bring good money. With the money saved by not butchering plus the money from selling him you could buy a pile of beef.

rc":3350rug3 said:
...I'm thinking how would he taste???

I just come in from tasting my cows.... hmmmm.... they all taste about the same. :D

On a mature animal, you will end up grinding up more meat into hamburger.

I would think though, that the animal might be worth more to someone as breeding stock, than to you has hamburger.

I took a load to the sale a couple of weeks ago and the man running the sale said he suspected he'd bring around $800 so I brought him home. I paid $1400 for him last year. Maybe private treaty sale would bring more out of him. He threw some good calves last year I just hate to give him away at a sale.

After processing costs is the meat, probably burger, worth more then 700 bucks to you? If not, sell him at the salebarn

I am going to respectfully disagree with most opinions and say this. Grain that bull for a few weeks and he'll be fine. At your average stockyards, he'll probably bring low to mid 60's -so, even if you ground up the entire thing - it would be still be cheap burger. I'd process him - have the premium steaks and roasts cut out, tenderize some steaks and put the rest into burger.
We processed a 5 year old Gert bull - no problems.

I processed a 3yr old RA bull in March 2007. Took his family jewels in Oct 2006 and penned him with free choice hay. Brought him up on feed in December. By Jan 1st he was on full feed and free choice hay. He hung at 975lbs. He was tender, well marbeled with white fat, and tasted fine. He produced over 300 lbs of steaks and 350lbs of ground beef.

We butchered a fiv eyear old bull once. He had t bones the size of your dinner plate, wasn't gamy and not tough. The one in my freezer was three years old, a bit smaller but tasty.

Latest posts