3 week Bull Calf will drink a bottle and then quit.

Help Support CattleToday:

halfwaysharp

Reaction score
I have a 3 week bull black baldy calf. He hits the bottle like no tomorrow then back of some days. He got a bottle at 10am yesterday. He will not even suck now. His temp is fine. He has done this several times but not this long. He cries for his bottle then turns his nose up. He seems very content and no stress what so ever. People say to leave a bucket of milk but I find the good stuff settles to the bottom. I do no want to tube him for I killed the last calf doing that. I over fed it. He is with anoter calf the eats fine.

I replied on the other thread -- this one gives me a little more info.

Do you have a calf-tube with the bulb - or do you use a tube and syringe... I've done it both ways...

If using a tube and syringe (short PVC section in the mouth to keep the bugger from chewing thru the tubing)... you can always blow into the tube first (syringe or by mouth to listen for the stomach contents and make sure the bugger doesn't cough when you do it -- then you know you tubed into the lungs).

If you have a calf feeder tube device - there's some pretty good youTube videos on how to do them where you make sure you are in the right area.

Volume of liquid may be a factor in your case - had a bottle baby once that we used the same amount of powder but cut the volume of water down because the little thing was only 60# so if I remember right it drank twice a day but not 2 quarts - twice a day, we mixed it so that the 2 quart bottle was only 2/3 full twice a day for the 1st few weeks and then gradually increased... you might give that a shot, I also remember that we gave it "KickStart" when it refused a feeding twice in a row... we never stressed about it if it just turned it's nose up and skipped one feeding, but it never skipped the next feeding.

Good luck

I have come to the conclusion that bull calves are harder to bottle feed. Every heifer I have raised have always been DRAMA !! love to eat, eat and eat. This bull calf finally about 3 hours after I posted this..grabbed the bottle like there was no tomorrow and drank the full bottle. He only drinks two bottles a day at best. He is big, shiney , healthy and gorgeous. He is actually bigger as a 3 week old then the 2 month old bull calf I have to bottle and he...eats 3 times a day. The tube I have is one of those cheap ones I believe. It is plastic. I killed that one calf I believe by putting too much milk into his stomach. I better get with someone to teach me. I truely have never lost a calf from not eating. I panic when they do not eat alot. I have learned me lesson. Thank you !

Latest posts