3 way cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":1ok6ga44 said:
Sim angus king i would like to see a pink calf. Down in my part of the country that would be a yellow calf the bring good money.
I call it pink but you can call it what you want :tiphat:
full-16045-71312-068.jpg

Looked more pink in person. I did like the lims better with the angus bull I had...probly just the bull fit better.

sim.-ang.king":1vhzmqhj said:
Red Bull Breeder":1vhzmqhj said:
Sim angus king i would like to see a pink calf. Down in my part of the country that would be a yellow calf the bring good money.
I call it pink but you can call it what you want :tiphat:
full-16045-71312-068.jpg

Looked more pink in person. I did like the lims better with the angus bull I had...probly just the bull fit better.
We had an F1 Red Angus Gelbvieh that was the same color and we called her Pinky

yea we called her pinky and keep her for a while but then had to get some money for better heifers and she had to go. wish I still had her so I could tell people I have a pink cow... :lol2:

Red Bull Breeder":2hxuio6c said:
You can call her black if you want to. But she ain't pink. That calf would out sell a black calf in this country.

I go to a sale here once in awhile just for the heck of it. Yellows usually outsell the blacks here, too, at least at the few sales I've been to.

Van down at Wayne City sale barn the whites sell as good as blacks, but the avg. over all isn't as good as greenville so I usely don't sell there.
All depends on the buyers at the sale barn.

Old_man_emu":3i2b84ys said:
sim.-ang.king":3i2b84ys said:
I have a Char/ang/sim bull right now and he seem to have nice calves with the angus and sim cross cows. Never liked the pink calves he has with the lim cows, till this year and got a nice white heifer from one of the lim cows. Seems to me that the Chars are good to throw in with any herd, but whites sell less sometimes around here so that can be a problem. ( not a pro so don't quote me)
I worked at place where we were converting herefords to angus because of the popularity/price factor.
In one particular deal the solid blacks were bringing 15 cents/kg( too tired to convert but it's substancial) more than red and black baldies but the crossbreds made up for it on average with extra weight for age.
Not saying it's always the case but sometimes the hybrid vigour is a leveller and should be considered. :cboy:

Not just hybrid vigor, but some of the increased growth in non-blacks could be from reduced heat stress. There is more to profit than the price per pound. Here's a good article on heat stress and profits. The increased heat stress in black cattle is very underappreciated.

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2007 ... 1033.shtml

djinwa":1v9ajeaj said:
Old_man_emu":1v9ajeaj said:
sim.-ang.king":1v9ajeaj said:
I have a Char/ang/sim bull right now and he seem to have nice calves with the angus and sim cross cows. Never liked the pink calves he has with the lim cows, till this year and got a nice white heifer from one of the lim cows. Seems to me that the Chars are good to throw in with any herd, but whites sell less sometimes around here so that can be a problem. ( not a pro so don't quote me)
I worked at place where we were converting herefords to angus because of the popularity/price factor.
In one particular deal the solid blacks were bringing 15 cents/kg( too tired to convert but it's substancial) more than red and black baldies but the crossbreds made up for it on average with extra weight for age.
Not saying it's always the case but sometimes the hybrid vigour is a leveller and should be considered. :cboy:

Not just hybrid vigor, but some of the increased growth in non-blacks could be from reduced heat stress. There is more to profit than the price per pound. Here's a good article on heat stress and profits. The increased heat stress in black cattle is very underappreciated.

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2007 ... 1033.shtml
I don't think heat stress had much to do with it. The farm was in the snowy mountains of Australia! It doesn't snow every year at that particular farm but its the kind of place where you can get snow in the middle of summer.
Another part of the story was that the hereford cows milked really well, maybe better than the angus cows in this situation.

Latest posts