3 way cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Whats the best food in the world that doesn't have cheese?
How long is a peice of string?
Do you get where I'm going with this?
My general understand is to build a cow, that is, excellent maternal traits. Then find a bull that puts the icing on the cake!
In my area hereford angus cross or fresian angus cross cows with a limo bull are very popular for producing vealer type calves to be sold straight off their mums for slaughter at about 9 months of age. But would that fit your market?

Yes,just about any black hided animal does good here,I was just seeing if I could build a really good composite with no brahman influence.

Hereford or Angus with a Gelbvieh or Simmenthal bull then bred back to a Hereford or Angus whichever isn;t in the first cross

black":m9zwlb5o said:
Whats the best 3 way cross that includes no brahman?

black-

Welcome to the CattleToday Forum! There are many diffeent approaches to pursue in answering your question. You will notice that "Old_man_emu" has pointed out that you must indicate what specific traits and characteristics you are focusing on in order to define the term "best". What one breeder may consider 'best', another may not agree.

I am sure that most of us on the Forum understand what you are meaning when you state "what is best quality, growth, milking, maturing and calving ease." Those are absolute necessities in selection for Beef Cattle Breeding Herds, and I agree with "dun", and his suggesting Hereford or Angus, with a Gelbvieh or Simmental bull, then bred back to a Hereford or Angus - whichever isn't in the first cross. All suggestions of this type are more than acceptable for acquiring the type of cattle you desire without Brahman influence.

- - - But the term "best" is where there is a stumbling stone in your developing breeding plan. I would suggest that you continue to read the suggestions on this thread that you began, and many others as well, for several months. Read references to breeding beef cattle and cross breeding methods obtainable on the Internet (of which there are literally thousands for guiding your thinking along these lines) before you jump into a plan which may not totally satisfy your goals. Even a slight mistake in decision-making can cost you years and years of correction time, (and money)in order to reach your ultimate objectives.

The ideas and suggestions on this thread are good. But investigation of all possibilities is in order to determine for certain that what you decide is the correct way to go for your particular operation.

Here are two links for you to peruse in your decision-making protocols:

http://www.ext.vt.edu/news/periodicals/ ... -0313.html
http://www.msu.edu/…NG%20SYSTEMS%20for%20BEEF%20CATTLE.ppt •

If these perioicals are unavailable at this time, go online and type in "Beef Cattle Crossbreeding Systems". That will get you started thinking about many different aspects of your "Crossbreeding" plans and possibilities, and, more importantly, the 'WHY' you may decide to follow one or more ideas and agendas!

Good searching, and lots of luck in your efforts.

DOC HARRIS

And why not a little Brahma influence to increase the hybrid vigor? Your are in Texas? I would think that a 3 way with a touch of brimmer might do well. Consider replacing the Angus with Brangus. and still achieve yourgoal of the"Best". I am sure there are many a Texas breeder doing that 3 way cross. :welcome:

Thommoos...I don't know I just don't like brahmans I have one right now with a little in her,I'm about to sell cause she's just crazy.

black":2y6l4za9 said:
Thommoos...I don't know I just don't like brahmans I have one right now with a little in her,I'm about to sell cause she's just crazy.
That don't mean they're all like that. Most of mine are brangus and brangus baldies, but the one that will kill me just for the fun of it ain't got a lick of brimmer at all, she just a black baldy. So should I stay away from all cattle with no ear? Crazy can come in any breed. I haven't found brangus to be bad at all.

black":1jisq0jz said:
oh..what do you breed to your Brangus and Brangus Baldies?
Charolais. But they are mature cows, not heifers. Heifers I buy are bred Angus.

I buy them bred to a calving ease Angus bull, once they have had the calf they go to Chars.

I have a Char/ang/sim bull right now and he seem to have nice calves with the angus and sim cross cows. Never liked the pink calves he has with the lim cows, till this year and got a nice white heifer from one of the lim cows. Seems to me that the Chars are good to throw in with any herd, but whites sell less sometimes around here so that can be a problem. ( not a pro so don't quote me)

sim.-ang.king":4th82apf said:
I have a Char/ang/sim bull right now and he seem to have nice calves with the angus and sim cross cows. Never liked the pink calves he has with the lim cows, till this year and got a nice white heifer from one of the lim cows. Seems to me that the Chars are good to throw in with any herd, but whites sell less sometimes around here so that can be a problem. ( not a pro so don't quote me)
I worked at place where we were converting herefords to angus because of the popularity/price factor.
In one particular deal the solid blacks were bringing 15 cents/kg( too tired to convert but it's substancial) more than red and black baldies but the crossbreds made up for it on average with extra weight for age.
Not saying it's always the case but sometimes the hybrid vigour is a leveller and should be considered. :cboy:

black":ouru71jl said:
Some cows as Isomade said are crazy, according to my wife Angus and baldies are crazy, Beefmaster Soulman animals are crazy, I believe this is the doc trait we want. When breeding that is important to me also.