3 point Hay Unroller ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am looking for a good hay unroller to mount on a JD 5075E. A 5x5 dry bale would be the most common.

Is there a make you recommend?
Do they work OK with balage, or are wet bales just a heavy blob that do not unroll well?

I think you might run into trouble with the arms hanging up on the bale so it can;t roll freely

The maximum baler that I have ever seen was 5 feet wide and 6 feet tall bale produced. Vermeer made one in its very early days 6x6. Most unrollers will unroll a 5 feet wide bale and can be adjusted down to unroll a 4 feet wide bale. We bought one in the early 80's and didn't like so we made one. I have rebuilt it once, but still use use it.

Which style are you talking about?

round-bale-unroller.jpg

ETA-4-5-BALE-UNROLLER-3.jpg

jltrent":3hb6mxbm said:
The maximum baler that I have ever seen was 5 feet wide and 6 feet tall bale produced. Vermeer made one in its very early days 6x6. Most unrollers will unroll a 5 feet wide bale and can be adjusted down to unroll a 4 feet wide bale. We bought one in the early 80's and didn't like so we made one. I have rebuilt it once, but still use use it.

round-bale-unroller.jpg

I have a locally built bale unroller similar design to the second pic, but built heavier. The guy who made them retired some years back. Made hundreds of them over the years. Best/simpliest design I have ever seen. Like corral panels in good condition, at a ranch auction the purchaser usually gets his money back, and then some.

I have a Worksaver brand similar to the Vermeer in the photo above.Had it since 1990.Only trouble I have is with 4' bales but the newer ones can be set up for either.
I would suggest carrying bales sideways for transport as it put less strain on the pivots.(Learned the hard way). :hide:
Make sure you have enough weight on the front end to counterbalance the load.
I really like unrolling my hay so all cattle get an equal chance at the better parts of the bale.

I've been thinking about this very thing this week. Building plans have not been easy to find, with what little search time I've had so far.
I'd like the option to unroll in a more controlled and consistent manner. It will be much easier with a decent hay bale but I will still be nudging with the loader or tire. No biggie unless it really gets to going toward calves downhill.
I think I can weld one together well enough but don't have the class of tools I would need for the drilling and cutting of pieces.

jltrent":2ej4jd6v said:

round-bale-unroller.jpg

Vermeer actually made a 706 baler in the early years, 7' tall by 6' wide if the numbers hold true.

I've got a Worksaver built similar to the second one above, it's built fairly heavy and works fine with 4' and 5' wide bales. The only time I use it is when it gets too muddy for the Hydrabed truck, which isn't very often. The arms in the one above look fairly weak, also check out the pivot points before you buy one. I bought a decent used Worksaver brand at an auction around here last year for $450, but have seen them bring $800+.

Never unrolled baleage but they do great on dry hay. I like to unroll 6-10' sections at a time and lift the bale up between, otherwise if you unroll a continuous windrow the cows will walk right down the middle of it and crap all over it.

Stocker Steve":2hum25pi said:
JW IN VA":2hum25pi said:
I have a Worksaver brand similar to the Vermeer in the photo above.Had it since 1990.

So is there a new improved make out there, or are they all similar?
The only ones I have been around are just a few years newer.They do have two pivot eyes- one for 4' one for5'John Deere has one n their Frontier line but I haven't seen it up close.