3/4 vs 1 ton

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030

Reaction score
Well i hauled a load of hay today for a guy, had to go bout 60 miles one way for a guy, most of it was highway driving, in crazy traffic. While driving i got to wandering would i benefit from a 1 dually vs my current truck, which is a 06 duramax crew cab short bed. I pull a 26 foot gooseneck and haul 14 4x5 rolls on a load. What do most of yall use? Pros and cons of both? Pulling the load with the truck is no problem, i guess i was just curious if the dually would benefit me in handling and stopping. I dont really like the thought of dually but just curious as to yalls thoughts. Also i generally dont pull loads like that far, i sometimes haul my 5525 jd but not to often.

Duals would give you more stability and two more tires in contact with the road when braking.You would loose some traction in bad weather.It all depends on your needs.When in doubt,think safety
y.

Thanks for the input, i agree with your thoughts. I just hate the thought of a dually for my daily driver, cuz thats what id be for now if i got one. Hate the thought of having to buy two more tires too, but i do like the thought of it handling the load better.

I have a 3/4 ton Dodge, and use it to pull loads similar to yours. If I was hauling big loads multiple times a week I would consider a dually, but for what I do, a 3/4 ton suits me fine. Like JW said, the extra stability of a dually would be nice, but for the extra cost and hassle of parking/maneuvering a dually when not towing, it's not worth it to me.

Sd1030":2f5qa7k3 said:
Well i hauled a load of hay today for a guy, had to go bout 60 miles one way for a guy, most of it was highway driving, in crazy traffic. While driving i got to wandering would i benefit from a 1 dually vs my current truck, which is a 06 duramax crew cab short bed. I pull a 26 foot gooseneck and haul 14 4x5 rolls on a load. What do most of yall use? Pros and cons of both? Pulling the load with the truck is no problem, i guess i was just curious if the dually would benefit me in handling and stopping. I dont really like the thought of dually but just curious as to yalls thoughts. Also i generally dont pull loads like that far, i sometimes haul my 5525 jd but not to often.

Well you have the worst truck for towing a load, a GM short bed. And a dually for a daily driver stinks. I run a 1 ton single wheel long bed with rear air bags. And haul 25k pounds 10,000+ miles a year. The extra braking power of a dually doesn't matter, if you don't have good trailer brakes your not stopping a heavy load. A dually is more stable than a single wheel truck, but if you add air bags to a single wheel truck, it's as stable or more so than a dually without air bags.

Kinda how i feel a.j. Just kicking round ideas, but i agree with you i dont pull enough to justify it i dont think.

Hg i would prefer a long bed but i wasnt towing as much when i purchased what i have. So i will agree with you on the long bed, but ill disagree with you on the gm remark.

Sd1030":7bhegfl4 said:
Hg i would prefer a long bed but i wasnt towing as much when i purchased what i have. So i will agree with you on the long bed, but ill disagree with you on the gm remark.

Well I owned a 06 GM dually, and it's my son's truck now. My single wheel 2013 Ram 1 ton will out pull his dually. It doesn't have nearly the power of his Dmax, his truck has put down 570 hp at the wheels on a dyno. But my truck will handle a load better, and that's no BS. I wasn't trying to sell you a truck, just telling you the facts.

I wasnt trying to call you out, im just a gm guy. Only other diesel ive had any experience with was dads powerstroke and id take my dmax any day. Could it be that the 2013 ram is just beefier as far as suspension and stuff goes? I know the newer gm stuff is suppose to be more beefed up compared to what i have now. Or do you just think the ram is that much better of a truck?

3/4 tons is good and id never trade in a 3/4 ton for a 1 ton dually daily driver... NO WAY... If you are having brake issues as was mentioned by HG you need to look at the trailer brakes. How many axle trailer is it? How many axles have brakes on them? Air bags are nice too.

I've never felt like I could justify having two trucks. I'm seriously considering a 2 wheel drive ton for highway towing, and something else possibly a small suv for a daily driver. I have 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton now, and honestly if I need 4 wheel drive I usually hook my load to my tractor anyway. Pull the trailer out gravel or black top, and then go. Just browsing around, there are some good deals out there on 2 wheel drive ton trucks. Especially the plain Jane models.

me personally wouldn't have a two wheel drive farm truck... four wheel drive is just added insurance. here with soil and rain and snow doesn't work

skyhightree1":3w2n0z8u said:
me personally wouldn't have a two wheel drive farm truck... four wheel drive is just added insurance. here with soil and rain and snow doesn't work

I agree, and I'd be sick if I did it. The only saving grace is, the only ground I farm is right here at my house. Tractor is always just as handy as the truck, and rather than get the truck filthy, I usually just grab a tractor. When I actually need towing power it's a long haul, to a gravel lot anyway.

Bigfoot":3ba0cr7p said:
skyhightree1":3ba0cr7p said:

I agree, and I'd be sick if I did it. The only saving grace is, the only ground I farm is right here at my house. Tractor is always just as handy as the truck, and rather than get the truck filthy, I usually just grab a tractor. When I actually need towing power it's a long haul, to a gravel lot anyway.

You mean it is possible to keep a farm truck clean? I thought they fell apart if you washed them.

I like mine show room fresh. I used to have the job, I have recently given that job to my 2 girls :)

I use my dually just for towing (have an SUV for a daily driver.) It is nice to have that option. I have had tires blow out on my trailer loaded with cattle, and never even felt it. (Someone pulls up beside me to tell me.) In fact it happened just the other day on the highway with 3 big cows in there. I have even blown a tire on the front of the truck loaded down with cattle, not even a veer. That truck is stable! I think that I would have a hard time trading it for a 3/4 ton, but yet I have never driven a newer 3/4 ton either. I am sure there have been many improvements made since I last drove one. Bottom line, I really do like my dually!

My daily driver is a single cab longbox dually,.. I park it anywhere... I find a long wheelbase of the extra and crewcabs to be far more of a handicap than a little extra width.

Yes, you have 2 extra tires but depending on the tire you have on a 4 wheel truck it probably doesn't cost that much more.. I would recommend going with 17.5 or 19.5" tires if you have the option.
trailer brakes... a good trailer brake controller is hard to find.. time based ones are USELESS in an emergency (just where you need them).. and inertia ones are useless when you're stopped.. I have a Hopkins inertia one and it's fairly good, some trucks now have them built in and sense brake pressure.. very very good idea!.

The new F150's are boasting something like 12-14,000 lb towing capacity... I'd like to see how they stand up to that around there, I sure don't believe it, besides the fact that there's probably no one who makes a trailer hitch that will handle it!

Good points yall thanks for the input. Sky my trailer is has two single wheel axles under it.

Bigfoot":3exehtel said:
I like mine show room fresh. I used to have the job, I have recently given that job to my 2 girls :)
Dang Bigfoot are you and the penguin related he thinks a farm truck should sparkle and shine ;-)

My truck was a little dirty ( i thought it was pretty clean) he said I needed to have it detailed

To the Original Poster No more than you are hauling you don't need a dually
I would put airbags under your 3/4 you will be amazed at the difference in handling it makes and $400 is alot cheaper than a new truck

We run even run airbags on our duallys
But with HG THE cummins will out pull your 06 D max I had both at sametime
As for GM beefing suspension on new ones it wasn't much of a change if any

Nesikep":38bb0we6 said:
My daily driver is a single cab longbox dually,.. I park it anywhere... I find a long wheelbase of the extra and crewcabs to be far more of a handicap than a little extra width.

Yes, you have 2 extra tires but depending on the tire you have on a 4 wheel truck it probably doesn't cost that much more.. I would recommend going with 17.5 or 19.5" tires if you have the option.
trailer brakes... a good trailer brake controller is hard to find.. time based ones are USELESS in an emergency (just where you need them).. and inertia ones are useless when you're stopped.. I have a Hopkins inertia one and it's fairly good, some trucks now have them built in and sense brake pressure.. very very good idea!.

The new F150's are boasting something like 12-14,000 lb towing capacity... I'd like to see how they stand up to that around there, I sure don't believe it, besides the fact that there's probably no one who makes a trailer hitch that will handle it!

I pull that much several times a year with my f-150 and it does fine, and yes the factory brake controller is amazing. By far better than any aftermarket box I have ever used.

Latest posts