3/4 vs 1 ton

Help Support CattleToday:

Havent really given much thought to the airbags, ill have to look into that. My only arguement about the duramax vs cummins when it comes to which truck pulls better is hg was comparing a his 06 with his 13, to me your not comparing apples to apples, as im sure many advancements have been made.
Ac i dont know all the exact changes but i do know from what i heard gm beefed up the frame, and brakes on their trucks starting in 2011. As ive said ive never driven a dodge with the cummins so i know very little bout them as far as towing, i csn say the fire trucks at work have cummins in them and they are good motors.

Bigfoot wrote:
I like mine show room fresh. I used to have the job, I have recently given that job to my 2 girls

Dang Bigfoot are you and the penguin related he thinks a farm truck should sparkle and shine
The dirt and the grime is all that is holding the paint on my 96 Dodge! When I wash it, I loose the paint too! :lol:

What I read, which makes sense to me is that the Cummins by virtue of it being an inline 6 rather than a V8 is that they have more torque right off idle, and I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like 60% more at 1000RPM which is when you're letting off the clutch.

Oh, I guess that's why Dodge is the only one with a manual tranny anymore... That in itself is a dealbreaker for me.. yes the new 8 speed auto trannies might be nice to drive, but I don't want the bill of replacing one when it comes time.. and that time WILL come

One thing more I'll add about dually vs single rear wheel... a dually MUST have deck on it, the pickup box sides that flare out and a high tailgate are what make them hard to park in town because a small car vanishes behind them, it's not the width.. you put a deck on them and you have good visibility again, and double your usable area/

Mine has airbags as well with an in-cab control and onboard air compressor... very nice to have, if for nothing else than being able to adjust your headlight aim at night!

I have a dually for towing it is not my daily driver. No way I would hook some those loads to a srw. It is just not safe. 30' dual tandem trailer would really like to have a s/a road tractor.

Sd1030":1myej36h said:
Havent really given much thought to the airbags, ill have to look into that. My only arguement about the duramax vs cummins when it comes to which truck pulls better is hg was comparing a his 06 with his 13, to me your not comparing apples to apples, as im sure many advancements have been made.
Ac i dont know all the exact changes but i do know from what i heard gm beefed up the frame, and brakes on their trucks starting in 2011. As ive said ive never driven a dodge with the cummins so i know very little bout them as far as towing, i csn say the fire trucks at work have cummins in them and they are good motors.
Sd not sure about the brakes and frames I haven't noticed a difference between them
12 dodge and 12 Gm
As far as power from Duramax and Cummins they are both Strong but I will stick with the Ram the front ends Gm will give a better ride Ram won't squat as much
Not trying to persuade you just telling you the facts
Airbags would be your best investment in my opinion
Check Amazon they will have the best prices bought 3 sets in the last yr

littletom":tfrgc85p said:
I have a dually for towing it is not my daily driver. No way I would hook some those loads to a srw. It is just not safe. 30' dual tandem trailer would really like to have a s/a road tractor.
I agree but with what he his hauling he doesn't need a dually
I got my first dually when I was 16 that was a few decades ago
Back before everyone that pulled a 16'ft stock trailer twice a yr HAD TO HAVE ONE
Littletom you can buy a dam good S/A for alot less than a dually and maintenance will be less
I have had several of them just be sure and get one with air ride and air ride cab or else you will hate it also the longer wheel base the better it will ride
Had a them and twin screws both not sure I wouldn't just go with a T/A over the S/A anymore

I have both. A ford250 ,a dodge 2500, and a ram3500.(All several years old.) The gas ford is my favorite to drive.
The ram2500 is a glorified half ton.
The 3500 diesel is a work horse. It carries over a ton of tools and men every mile of its 300000 +. And often a trailer with several tons.
If your going to haul a load of cows a few times a year. 3/4 is the way to go.
If your going to work it every day, you'll appreciate the dually.

Thanks for all the input, yall have pretty much confirmed what i felt. I felt my truck was sufficent considering the amount of hauling i do. I was curious though as to others thoughts between the two. Another question for towing a gooseneck do most of yall perfer longbeds or not?

Short bed trucks are good for hauling a loaf of bread, or for a woman to drive to the grocery store. My long bed has a 100 gallon fuel tank and a tool box that is over full. So it's really only a short bed, but I can still slide 16' foot pieces of lumber beside the fuel tank. And another good thing about a long bed is you can jack knife a goose neck trailer and not hit the cab. A long bed is kinda like 4WD, when you need it you got it. And most long bed trucks have a larger fuel tanks than a short bed trucks. But to be honest I've never owned a short bed truck, so I'm just blowing smoke.

Hg i kinda agree that for a dedicated work truck long bed is better. The truck i currently bought wasnt bought with the sole intention of working everyday. Its my daily driver/ farm truck when i need it to be. If i was in the market to buy again anytime soon id prolly be looking for a longbed, but guess this one will do until then.

Every truck is a good truck as long as it's running. When it breaks, then it's a POS, and make or model doesn't matter.

That also depends I like along bed when towing. My everyday work truck is a cab and half 7.3 ford. In the bed is a 60 gallon fuel tank with small tool box, that goes all the way to fenders. Then a gas powered air compresser with the random tools not much room left. I think for just a general farm truck not hauling to big of loads and doing everything, a straight cab long bed 3/4 ton diesel would fit the bill nicely.

branguscowgirl":4jli2rxo said:
Bigfoot wrote:
I like mine show room fresh. I used to have the job, I have recently given that job to my 2 girls

Dang Bigfoot are you and the penguin related he thinks a farm truck should sparkle and shine
The dirt and the grime is all that is holding the paint on my 96 Dodge! When I wash it, I loose the paint too! :lol:
Wash it ? I have not washed my Dodge/Cummins in eleven years and the paint still peels off.

kerley":31modn7c said:
branguscowgirl":31modn7c said:
Bigfoot wrote:

Wash it ? I have not washed my Dodge/Cummins in eleven years and the paint still peels off.
What is it with the Dodge paint anyway!?
Sure wish Nesi was closer, I would be asking him to paint it for me. I figure a semi decent paint job, nothing fancy just white, would probably run about $2,000. But IDK maybe more like $5,000!

A lot of manufacturers had trouble with paint in the early to mid 90's... My truck hardly had any paint on it, but the primer was really good.. I've seen Chev's and Toyotas of that era with the same problem.. I think the EPA was requiring them to go to a water based paint and the technology wasn't fully ready for it.

Brute 23":2pk83hyx said:
Go buy a new Dodge and tell us if your still on love. :tiphat:
No sir, I turned 202k and have no big dollar issues, just need new rear brakes which is no big deal. Look at the new trucks, they are pretty but they have large problems that I don't have or need.

kerley":r375kpdk said:
Brute 23":r375kpdk said:
Go buy a new Dodge and tell us if your still on love. :tiphat:
No sir, I turned 202k and have no big dollar issues, just need new rear brakes which is no big deal. Look at the new trucks, they are pretty but they have large problems that I don't have or need.

My dually is a 2008 F350 flatbed. Only problem has been a stuck EGR valve and it was pricey. Take the emissions junk off of the new trucks and they're pretty good.

Latest posts