.243 Rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd get the Remington , but I'm not much of a gun guy. I have a .243. Use it for coyotes and black buzzards.

A 243 is for reaching out there. Long range with medium game.

I'd take that shot at a wolf or coyote, but not at a white tail. Just wait until they are within the high percentage shot range. So I don't have much use for a 243 but I am not opposed to them either.

If you are going to go with that caliber, I'd invest in a much better scope than what either gun is currently fitted with. There's nothing worse than getting in the right position and finding out your scope is no longer on the money.

Best, the .243 has lots of followers but to me it is an in-between calibre. I have owned 3 different rifles, all bolt actions, in .243 Winchester Caliber. Gone all.

If I hunt varmints or targets, I use a .223 Remington. For deer, pronghorn antelope, etc. I prefer my .270 Winchester calibre.

My son deer hunts with a .243. He's killed 5 or 6. Never seen one take more than a few steps after being shot.

Shot a few deer with my Ruger M77 ultra light in .243. I have a 1.5 - 5 Burris on it. Always used premium 100 grain bullets for deer, but just love the thing for yotes with Hornady factory 58 grain v-max. No, I don't save the pelts !

If you want a.243, its a great caliber.I have one and so do my son and grandsons.I'd limit my shots on deer to around 300 yards and only with a good 100 grain bullet.For varmints,80 grain and below depending on the rate of twist.
My son bought a Remington 783 in .270 Win last year.Won't win any beauty contests but it shoots where you hold it and that's the most important.
If you are wanting a dedicated deer/antelope round,look at a 7mm/08.

Bestoutwest":2sdaulek said:
Caustic Burno":2sdaulek said:
Avoid at all cost it's a POS go get you a Ruger American

You like this one?
http://www.cabelas.com/product/RUGER-AM ... D734095080
Yes sir I have several Ruger American in various calibers. Garandson had one of the Remington the piece of junk was so bad they bought it back. I own a lot of Remington as well they missed the mark with that model.

I agree on th 7-08 hard deer round to beat and ballistics it runs right close to a 06

All can be good rifles,in my opinion.Ruger has a good rep as does Savage.I own one savage and it does what I want.My only real experiance with your choices is with the Remington.Look at them,handle them and see how they fit you.I don't think you can go completely wrong with any of them.
One reason that may make the Ruger a little higher is the domestic scope on it :?: .(Made in Oregon)
CB, what are your reasons for not liking the first two? I like to know what other folks think about things .

Savage is a good gun I agree they all make good rifles sometimes they just put out a subpar model. I would buy the gun naked and put a Vortex diamondback on it

sim.-ang.king":31ls2frn said:
If I was looking at getting a Savage, (which I would), it wouldn't be an axis.
Go with a model 10 or 11.

Either is hard to beat for a cheap rifle. My father in law has a 110 in .243 that I am ashamed to say will out shoot some of my rifles costing twice as much.

The 243, 7-08 and 308 all use the same brass necked down to bullet diameter.
IMO the 7-08 is the best of all three moderate recoil the 7mm .284 bullet comes in every grain imaginable its flatter shooting than a 308 and has the ballistics running right with an 06.
Secondly if you want to hunt something larger than deer you have a rifle that can.

Latest posts