22-250 might just be the best

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I think the Rem 700 22-250 might just be the best rifle for wasp hunting. Was checking my zero on my truck rifle yesterday when a wasp lit on the target board. The temptation was too great and I put the crosshairs on him and squeezed one off. Wasp magically disappeared but was replaced with a hole in the board where it once stood. I tried to find some remnants of my trophy kill but none could be found so my apologies for no trophy pics. :lol2:

Actually did get a fly once. There was a little drop of blood and one wing stuck to the target..........couldn't get another one if my life depended on it!

The temptation of seeing a bug in the firing zone is too much. I gotta say, the 22-250 is probably the sweetest shooting rifle I own.

Years ago we used to wingshoot flying bugs. A dab of Kapoc then couse corn meal then another dab of Kapoc. Worked best with handguns, but tried it with rifles a couple of times. Some guys used cream of heat but the cornmeal held up better when fired.

Dun, I've never tried that but interestingly enough I've heard of doing it.

Here is an interesting video along these lines.

[youtube]3FrkQyATr-M[/youtube]

Jogeephus":1kkdhni0 said:

All I can say is he has to be single, what was it? Five pellet holes to fix? A Kleenex would have saved a lot of trouble ..... But good video. :lol:

My wife loves to shoot those little easter candy peeps. Drills 'em right between their little sugur encrusted eyes.

Alan":1a7zn40h said:
Jogeephus":1a7zn40h said:

All I can say is he has to be single, what was it? Five pellet holes to fix? A Kleenex would have saved a lot of trouble ..... But good video. :lol:
I still have an old life preserver that has 90% of the Kapoc still in it.
We tried using polyester kind of stuff and it burned and didn;t do a good job of keeping the propellent and the "shot" separate. Cotton doesn;t burn to badly but it also doesn;t take up as much spadce per pinch as Kapoc does. When you use the Kapoc it looks like you shoved a stick of dynamite up a chickens butt from all the fluff

Jogeephus":2lltxh3h said:
I gotta say, the 22-250 is probably the sweetest shooting rifle I own.

I agree on the 22-250 I borrowed a bull barrel Remington from a friend and shot a nice whitetail that field dressed close to a 150 lbs. That buck was facing me and I aimed in the center of the white patch on his throat and the 22-250 dropped him in his tracks.

ousoonerfan22":10pve68f said:
Jogeephus":10pve68f said:
I gotta say, the 22-250 is probably the sweetest shooting rifle I own.

I agree on the 22-250 I borrowed a bull barrel Remington from a friend and shot a nice whitetail that field dressed close to a 150 lbs. That buck was facing me and I aimed in the center of the white patch on his throat and the 22-250 dropped him in his tracks.

Sweet caliber isn't it? I popped one in the whirl in the hair between the eyes one afternoon. She was a bit bug-eyed after the shot but no ruined meat.

I was trying to out best Jo, and shoot a mange mite off a coyote, but I missed and shot the coyote. :(
004.JPG

I see a mite leg next to the yote's tongue so I'm pretty sure you got it. I believe its impossible to miss with a 22-250 less of course some barbed wire gets in your way. I've heard of that happening once or twice. :oops: :lol2: :lol2:

I've always loved that cartridge. Dad traded for a Ruger M77 in 22-250 many years ago. Right after he bought it I took it to sight the scope in and to my knowledge he has never handled it or shot it. I believe MO law states it is mine now. :D

I carried it deer hunting for several years until I got nostalgic and broke out the old 30-30 again.

Latest posts