2019 sale for us

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Sold the calves.. Did about $4/cwt better than average, $2 less than high

Can see the difference in my calves with how they come into the sale ring.. Most of them fall on their arse, mine mosey in.
https://youtu.be/iOMWIykaSN4

Congrats Nesi. Impressive facility. Savvy auction companies don't hesitate to communicate with sellers during a sale and especially with those they are familiar with. They are between a rock & hard spot trying to make both seller and buyer happy. Nonetheless frustrating that your roan girlie got singled. :roll:

76 Bar said:
Congrats Nesi. Impressive facility. Savvy auction companies don't hesitate to communicate with sellers during a sale and especially with those they are familiar with. They are between a rock & hard spot trying to make both seller and buyer happy. Nonetheless frustrating that your roan girlie got singled. :roll:

well, despite being built like the rest of them, she does look different.. can't blame them for separating her out.

I hear ya. Precarious markets make for an over abundance and typically unwarranted buyer nitpicking. That your calves entered the ring calmly and maintained their composure is a testimony to your stockmanship. 8) :tiphat:

76 Bar said:
I hear ya. Precarious markets make for an over abundance and typically unwarranted buyer nitpicking. That your calves entered the ring calmly and maintained their composure is a testimony to your stockmanship. 8) :tiphat:

All that time I spend petting them.. well, time well wasted!

Here's the cows coming home this year... you can't tell me they aren't at least kinda happy to get rid of their calves.. the older ones would have learned by now that corralling in the fall time means weaning!
https://youtu.be/PLCamamYqEA

If I'm converting Canadian dollars to U.S. dollars correctly it sounded like you did pretty well overall. Very nice auction yard facility based on the video. The ringman could have used a little help, though! :)

Luckiamute said:
If I'm converting Canadian dollars to U.S. dollars correctly it sounded like you did pretty well overall. Very nice auction yard facility based on the video. The ringman could have used a little help, though! :)
Not used to moving slow cattle!

Great video. I loved the pace of the sale and how they split up your group. Its like slow motion for what is around here. Very nice animals you sold. The buyer will be pleased.

bird dog said:
Great video. I loved the pace of the sale and how they split up your group. Its like slow motion for what is around here. Very nice animals you sold. The buyer will be pleased.

there's about 3 volume buyers there.. I know one of the guys always buys the nice looking big calves and he finishes them himself.. big ranch (Coldstream).. Few other guys buy the stuff that's smaller or not so nice, I think some of them get shipped to Alberta and resold

Great job Nesi... looks to be a quality sale barn. The one thing I noticed is how quiet it seemed to be compared to ours... were there a lot of buyers there?

I would have thought your calves to be far heavier than they were considering age and birth weights and feed they get.

Nesikep said:
76 Bar said:

All that time I spend petting them.. well, time well wasted!

Here's the cows coming home this year... you can't tell me they aren't at least kinda happy to get rid of their calves.. the older ones would have learned by now that corralling in the fall time means weaning!
https://youtu.be/PLCamamYqEA
The cattle and the scenery looks like something out of Louis La'Mour western :tiphat:

TN Cattle Man said:
Great job Nesi... looks to be a quality sale barn. The one thing I noticed is how quiet it seemed to be compared to ours... were there a lot of buyers there?

There's about 3 or 4 people that do all the volume buying, lots of people sitting and watching

Gcreek, only one calf that went through was over 205 days old, and I kept all the biggest ones... I've also been reducing my mature cow size by a considerable margin, still tweaking that recipe... Had a few 3 year olds that had good calves the first time and had smaller ones this year, hoping they come into their own next year (they better.. OR ELSE!)

Looks good Nes, I took a few wednesday, and it was a bloodbath, main buyers were gone and the good ole boys committed felony theft. Had 2 loads scheduled to sell this week, told the rep today, that they aren't getting them. So , now visiting with a couple more this week, as if I didn't have anything better to do.

Nesikep said:
TN Cattle Man said:

There's about 3 or 4 people that do all the volume buying, lots of people sitting and watching

Gcreek, only one calf that went through was over 205 days old, and I kept all the biggest ones... I've also been reducing my mature cow size by a considerable margin, still tweaking that recipe... Had a few 3 year olds that had good calves the first time and had smaller ones this year, hoping they come into their own next year (they better.. OR ELSE!)

Downsizing cows won't begin by keeping the biggest heifers. :cboy:

gcreekrch said:
Nesikep said:
TN Cattle Man said:

Downsizing cows won't begin by keeping the biggest heifers. :cboy:
It depends if you're talking about biggest by weight or biggest by frame... I'm keeping the stockier ones... There was one nice heifer from a BIG cow, I know that heifer will grow to be a big cow as well

I like this one a lot more, she's got all the weight of the previous one but will probably mature at least a frame size smaller

Latest posts