Sire: Cowboy Cut
Due: 10/9/2018
DOB: 10/8/2018
Gestation: 284 days
Heifer
Weight: 67 pounds.

Gestation and BW numbers:
1. Broadway Heifer: 279, 97 lbs.
2. W/C Lock N Load 1143Y Bull: 279, 78 lbs.
3. Cowboy Cut Heifer: 277, 70 lbs
4. HPF Optimizer Bull: 280, 88 lbs.
5. Cowboy Cut Bull: 282, 94 lbs.
6. W/C Lock N Load 1143Y Bull: 278, 82 lbs.
7. Broadway Heifer: 281, 112 pounds.
8. Grandmaster Heifer: 280, 88 pounds.
9. Cowboy Cut Bull: 283, 83 pounds.
10. Upgrade Bull: 287, 105 pounds.
11. Cowboy Cut Heifer: 276, 80 pounds.
12. Broadway Bull: 290, 123 pounds.
13. Cowboy Cut Bull: 284, 87 pounds.
14.W/C Lock N Load 1143Y Bull: 281, 90 lbs
15. Cowboy Cut Heifer: 284, 67 pounds.

Bovine breeder":jofhqe8x said:
Is that a record low BW for you Ron? Lol!

No. I had a premature calf (30 days pre) - it was a challenge the first 3 days. I tubed him to keep him going - 55 pounds at Gestation of 255 days!!!!! That is actually huge for 255 days.

Bovine breeder":qlnohbpw said:

I am convinced that BW here in Kentucky is higher than what many would expect. I see lots of calves born as big or bigger than mine. Most people just don't know it!

Bright Raven":3987j5eh said:
Bovine breeder":3987j5eh said:

I am convinced that BW here in Kentucky is higher than what many would expect. I see lots of calves born as big or bigger than mine. Most people just don't know it!

I agree. Pretty hard to judge birthweights visually, I think. And that is a big calf, considering!

Bovine breeder":1hup4bkm said:
Bright Raven":1hup4bkm said:
Bovine breeder":1hup4bkm said:

I agree. Pretty hard to judge birthweights visually, I think. And that is a big calf, considering!

Lance

Do you weight your calves? The weights there should be about the same. However, If I remember right there were no Wood Elves out on the old home place. So you may not have the Magic. Lol

Bright Raven":3phyc6du said:
Bovine breeder":3phyc6du said:
Bright Raven":3phyc6du said:

Lance

Do you weight your calves? The weights there should be about the same. However, If I remember right there were no Wood Elves out on the old home place. So you may not have the Magic. Lol

Lol. I only weigh a few each year. Usually ones that look to be extreme one way or the other. I had a heifer out of Yellowstone this fall that weighed 89lbs. Gestation was 290 days. Everything on my place is commercial.

Stocker Steve":1dxmrawn said:
Bright Raven":1dxmrawn said:
NonTypicalCPA":1dxmrawn said:
Cowboy Cut is giving you some nice weights.

Thanks. I think he is overall, the best bull I am using.

Where does he stand out?
What are the weak points?

1. Cowboy Cut stamps his calves. Every Cowboy Cut calf I have seen, LOOKS like a Cowboy Cut calf.

2. They all have a small non-blocky head.

3. They all have been vigorous at birth. Up quick, nursing, etc.

4. He dictates the birthweights.

5. They are clean, smooth, solid calves.

6. They have good form. Attractive calves. If you have a market for show calves (I like to sell show calves when I can), he can put some in that market.

7. They remain thrifty and grow fast.

8. Lots of great Cowboy Cut sons and daughters are selling well in all the Simmental sales.

Here is a Cowboy Cut out of a heifer I sold to a Gentleman. Not the best picture. But I can look at this 69 pound heifer and say "yep, a Cowboy Cut". The owner was very pleased and commented on how well the calf and heifer did at birth.
14o9mo3.jpg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":e9offr02 said:
Your Broadways were quite heavy. I had not noticed/payed attention to that. Do they outgrow the others?

Yes. Mine do. I also know some other producers here in Kentucky who had bad experiences with the size of his calves.

One of the heifers we bought from the Family Matters Sale calved the 28th of October right on schedule with a Cowboy Cut heifer calf. She fits the description that you provided to the tee. Been wanting to take pics of the pair but she keeps it moving anytime I'm around. Think she's beginning to keep it around more maybe I'll get a pic to share sometime soon.

FlyingLSimmentals":2mkecrax said:
One of the heifers we bought from the Family Matters Sale calved the 28th of October right on schedule with a Cowboy Cut heifer calf. She fits the description that you provided to the tee. Been wanting to take pics of the pair but she keeps it moving anytime I'm around. Think she's beginning to keep it around more maybe I'll get a pic to share sometime soon.

My Cowboy Cut's continue to impress me.