2016 calving season on CBJ ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy":2l5617cn said:
cowgirl8":2l5617cn said:
Muddy":2l5617cn said:
The red bull calf is much better looking than most calves on here.
You can see why we kept his father...got a hand full of those red calves out of that bull, most are heifers though......
So it's only one decent calf out of one of these helper bulls?
There is nothing wrong with any of the pictures of calves i posted...

TennesseeTuxedo":13ofgygn said:
Your calves are nice. Your record keeping...

well that's your business.
Thank you..
Because we dont put tags in our calves ears?
This is the way i see it. I put tags in calves ears that i feel are important. Twins, grafts, and calves that we've doctored..If every calf has a tag, i then have to check every calf to make sure the ones i want to keep an eye on is there. I have 3 out there i need to make sure keep up, i look for 3 tags and not check 75 tags to make sure the ones that need checked are there...
Our record keeping is basic, but its paid off our land, house, equipment, put 4 kids though college...I just find some things just unnecessary for our business. We dont sell reg cattle, we sell commercial cattle.

RiverHills":3voj7gs1 said:
It might work for you but the price of calf tags seem like a small price for efficiency in record keeping in a large herd.
When we sell all of them, what is a tag going to get me?

cowgirl8":3r7a75ta said:
RiverHills":3r7a75ta said:
It might work for you but the price of calf tags seem like a small price for efficiency in record keeping in a large herd.
When we sell all of them, what is a tag going to get me?
Good records on your breeding animals. It seems that you are constantly bragging about how great your bulls and cows are....even when you have no idea who's the dam and the sire are.

cmay":3mzvj1me said:
I don't tag the calves. Don't care which sire goes with which calf. Only care which dam if the calf is a dink.
Exactly!!! cmay, amazing how anyone can run cattle without tags on their calves ears...lol maybe some just need more help.
If we get a dink, i note who the mother is. Dont need a tag on every calf to ID it. We get good calves out of our cows, if a calf decides to nurse a different cows, i dont care. When we keep heifers, i dont care what cow they are out of because we dont keep any cows we wouldnt keep heifers out of. We run up to 4 bulls in a herd, who the calf is out of I DONT CARE because we dont use bulls we dont like what they produce... Bulls calves are easy to ID, we only keep a few and once we castrate they are very easy to pick out with their between the legs tag.
Muddy you're too transparent.. You'd be better off just not commenting...

cowgirl8":3dfdl7qb said:
cmay":3dfdl7qb said:
I don't tag the calves. Don't care which sire goes with which calf. Only care which dam if the calf is a dink.
Exactly!!! cmay, amazing how anyone can run cattle without tags on their calves ears...lol maybe some just need more help.
If we get a dink, i note who the mother is. Dont need a tag on every calf to ID it. We get good calves out of our cows, if a calf decides to nurse a different cows, i dont care. When we keep heifers, i dont care what cow they are out of because we dont keep any cows we wouldnt keep heifers out of. We run up to 4 bulls in a herd, who the calf is out of I DONT CARE because we dont use bulls we dont like what they produce... Bulls calves are easy to ID, we only keep a few and once we castrate they are very easy to pick out with their between the legs tag.

Cowgirl I agree with you. From what I see most tags are put in more for ID purposes if the calf was to get out or mixed with someone elses at some point. There are those that keep a complete set of records and I know a few that even weigh every calf at around 7 months but they are few. Most cattle persons know their cattle and will elimnate the dinks, the poor quality ect and don''t need the tags. If the proper amount of time is spent looking at and observing your herd you will notice most of these things. I can tell you which cow a large percentage of the calves go on. At some point we usually tag every calf but it is more for ID purposes. I respect everyones management practices and yours seem to work very well for you. Saw some nice cattle in the pics.

elkwc":isl31wt8 said:
cowgirl8":isl31wt8 said:
cmay":isl31wt8 said:

Cowgirl I agree with you. From what I see most tags are put in more for ID purposes if the calf was to get out or mixed with someone elses at some point. There are those that keep a complete set of records and I know a few that even weigh every calf at around 7 months but they are few. Most cattle persons know their cattle and will elimnate the dinks, the poor quality ect and don''t need the tags. If the proper amount of time is spent looking at and observing your herd you will notice most of these things. I can tell you which cow a large percentage of the calves go on. At some point we usually tag every calf but it is more for ID purposes. I respect everyones management practices and yours seem to work very well for you. Saw some nice cattle in the pics.

Thank you....i'm not here to push how i do anything....just want to share cow stuff..

Do you work your calves and precondition them or just wean on fumes straight off momma?

Around here tags are a good indication that calves have been worked. Our spring born calves even get a fly tag for their opposite ear.

cowgirl8":3umz56vw said:
This is public forum, anyone can comment on your threads and ask some questions about why you do.

Muddy":3quahjk4 said:
cowgirl8":3quahjk4 said:
This is public forum, anyone can comment on your threads and ask some questions about why you do.
It's called trolling and you aren't fooling anyone. Been on this board long enough to not be asked these stupid questions.

cowgirl8":1bcjq01m said:
Muddy":1bcjq01m said:
cowgirl8":1bcjq01m said:
It's called trolling and you aren't fooling anyone. Been on this board long enough to not be asked these stupid questions.
Lol yet you answered all of my questions and insulting everyone for just disagree with you. I guess your breeding record credit is shot down.

Thanks. It's been a great grass year here. Could have run twice as many cattle.

cowgirl8":3f5n79d3 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3f5n79d3 said:
Do you work your calves and precondition them or just wean on fumes straight ?.

Really?

Yes, really.

Cattlemen in the southeast have a bad reputation for weaning straight off the cow on the way to the sale barn. We don't do that at our place and I wouldn't think you would either but I thought I'd ask.

Tagging them is just one step we take along with giving them all their shots and as mentioned, a fly tag too.

TennesseeTuxedo":la47glc4 said:
Tagging them is just one step we take along with giving them all their shots and as mentioned, a fly tag too.

Good deal.

Latest posts