2008 show steers {{Update}}

Help Support CattleToday:

Colorado2008

Reaction score
Finally got the steers calmed down and broke.

This first steer is a SunSeeker. I liked him when we got him, but the more and more we study him the more we think that he may end up with some structural problems... :roll: Not a bad steer in my opinion, but not the best either. Also pretty dirty fronted.
042_42.jpg

043_43.jpg

044_44.jpg

This steer is my favorite. He's a Checks in the Mail. I think he is one of the best I have owned and am really looking forward to next years show season.
048_48.jpg

002_2.jpg

083_83.jpg

Whatcha think?

Well you have two very hairy calves. Our Sun Seekers have always been loaded with hair.
The Sun Seeker is sloppy fronted and that will probably get worse with time. Ours did that. He breaks behind the shoulder but with that much hair you can clip it out. Really big boned, but toes out in the front. That may look worse than it is with him standing on asphalt. I think he'll feed good for you.

The checks will be interesting for you in terms of how big he'll get and if he'll feed. Also looks like he toes out and doesn't look very thick, it's a lot of hair.

i have heard that sunseekers look really good coming off the mama but as they get older they get piecey........and he looks piecey to me.....and his front feet are close enough together you could probably put them in a post hole......but he is hairy and he will change a lot once you get him going good on feed... i thikn he will turn out being a decent market steer and eat good

calf number 2 is a really good one .....your going to have lots of fun showin him

good luck

I like the checks in the mail too...I agree with the sun seeker opinions. Hopefully things will get better.
Who did you get them from? Gary's sale is Sunday and Luke will more than likely get his then.
The hair is to die for!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope we get a good hair calf.
I am excited. I need to have him clean the pen.

Both of these calves came out of South Dakota. The SunSeeker came from Stacey Kopfmann and the Checks came from Barry Krueger (who was an owner of Checks in the Mail). :D

Colorado 2008- I think that i may have seen the checks steer at kruegers in the pasture. When did u pick him up? I was in SD for a while this fall. Did you pick him yourself? get some clippers on him girl! see what u have!

I got him somewhat clipped up, but since the weather has been so up and down all the calves are sick right now. Yes, my sister and I followed him and a couple other calves around Barry's pasture for quite a while. We picked him up the first weekend in October...so the 5th or somthing like that.

*Cowgirl*":35wjnni8 said:
there are calves under all that fuzz?

Yes there are calves under all that fuzz. lol They actually look just as good wet as they do dry!

Okay. Please bear with the pictures. They are not the best becuase we were having difficulties with the camera and finally just gave up lol.

I have done a little clipping on them. Obviously they both have a TON of hair to work with, so Im still playing around to see what I can 'make' ;-)

031.jpg

033.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

You definatly had better start triming that steers front feet, so by the time he is 1000lbs he wont be crippled as bad, because if dont trim his feet he is going to get bad, but other than that they look good.

By the way What happened to you leg?

Moocow11":2js38fym said:
By the way What happened to you leg?

We actually had them scheduled to get done last weekend but with the cold and moisture, we decided to wait. But I do agree, they need done.

Not my leg, my foot. I actually had surgery on it last winter to correct some stuff and more just went wrong. I'll tell you right now that Im not one to complain if something hurts, but it was hurting so bad that it had me in tears so anyway...had an MRI and my navicular bone is fractured and dying...nothing to explain why either...what can you do? :roll:

Checks in the mail calf is very nice!! Not quite sure about the other, hard to like anything when compared to the Checks in the Mail calf!!

JR Cattle Co.":2jdgx8zr said:
Checks in the mail calf is very nice!! Not quite sure about the other, hard to like anything when compared to the Checks in the Mail calf!!

lol...when it gets a little warmer outside (hopefully soon) i'll get the sun seeker steer clipped up a little more! As of right now, I am liking him better than the Checks. The Checks is growing and just doesn't look real good right now...he's kinda gangly! :roll: lol

Latest posts