2008 Pharo Sale. DON'T MISS IT!!

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm sorry, but bulls that have good efficiency and big numbers have usually been really efficient on a bull test. I get the feeling that they would fall apart on an all forage test with nothing but some mineral. But, if those bulls fit your program, then I have no problem with that. Kit's stuff happens to fit my program. I don't like chasing after big #'s. If that is your way to raise cattle, then I commend you on doing a good job on getting them big and efficient. I like mine right where they are.

I can't take any credit for my stuff, all the credit goes to people like Rishel, GAR, and Ankony for producing the efficient animals with the big numbers. :tiphat:

blackcowz":1rt6xbj0 said:
I'm sorry, but bulls that have good efficiency and big numbers have usually been really efficient on a bull test. I get the feeling that they would fall apart on an all forage test with nothing but some mineral. But, if those bulls fit your program, then I have no problem with that. Kit's stuff happens to fit my program. I don't like chasing after big #'s. If that is your way to raise cattle, then I commend you on doing a good job on getting them big and efficient. I like mine right where they are.

How do you market the fidgets?

As easy doing, maternal, long lasting genetics. The "Minis" ain't as small as some of you might think. They're simply bringing good cattle back to the basics. We're trying to make Angus a maternal breed again. My commercial cows? I'd breed them to that bull you see in my avatar in a split second. My Registered bunch? I'm keeping them on a strict, PCC, OCC, or DDA bred path. That's my interpretation of pure bred cattle. We keep them pure like they ought to be so that people can use their traits to improve their herd in a certain way. You breed to an Angus to have a low BW, maternal cow and to get better marbling and more backfat on a steer. Not to increase the WW or YW of your herd. That's how I see, anyway. Several won't see it my way. I'm sorry, but that's my personal opinion and that shouldn't change anything about how any of you raise your cattle.

I'd really like to know that as well. Do you sell them on the rail? If not, they're still almost certainly going to end up on feed.

I know plenty of "low input" cattlemen, my dad's one. They don't spend anywhere near an average of $3,400/head on bulls.

Yep, I've sold them on the rail and they've paid for this computer I'm sitting at right now. I've sold them private treaty only, and never had one single complaint about too little meat or too thin. Not too fat, for that matter. But I do have to ask. How much do you save on diesel fuel each year NOT continually having to go and feed your cows? How much do you NOT spend on hay? Would you then have enough to afford to improve your genetics and still have lower costs? A uniform set of Pharo cattle usually does well at a sale barn, too. And you don't have to pour $ into them to get them there either.

blackcowz":3e0tx4tr said:
Yep, I've sold them on the rail and they've paid for this computer I'm sitting at right now. I've sold them private treaty only, and never had one single complaint about too little meat or too thin. Not too fat, for that matter. But I do have to ask. How much do you save on diesel fuel each year NOT continually having to go and feed your cows? How much do you NOT spend on hay? Would you then have enough to afford to improve your genetics and still have lower costs? A uniform set of Pharo cattle usually does well at a sale barn, too. And you don't have to pour $ into them to get them there either.

Are you embarrassed when your short ones come into a sale barn against larger cattle?

Nope. They ain't a heck of a lot smaller, and I've never been ashamed when they are compared to other cattle. Never been ashamed of the checks picked up either. But then again, I would rather feel ashamed and have a nice profit than have the talk of the sale and be in the red zone. Just my opinion. And did you ever realize that my 4 frame cows and only 6 inches shorter than your 7 frame ones? Have you ever been to Kit's ranch? The first thing I said was, "Huh. Your cattle aren't as small as I thought they'ed be."

And another thing. I usually sell private treaty too. That way, I ain't completely at the mercy of the market. BUT, mine have been compared to other cattle. Shucks, at fair, most folks were convinced that I had bought those Pharo calves from a club calf sale. :lol:

blackcowz":4237htlu said:
Nope. They ain't a heck of a lot smaller, and I've never been ashamed when they are compared to other cattle. Never been ashamed of the checks picked up either. But then again, I would rather feel ashamed and have a nice profit than have the talk of the sale and be in the red zone. Just my opinion. And did you ever realize that my 4 frame cows and only 6 inches shorter than your 7 frame ones? Have you ever been to Kit's ranch? The first thing I said was, "Huh. Your cattle aren't as small as I thought they'ed be."

So the only difference in weight between the two frames is 6" of leg weight * 4? Maybe 25-30 pounds between a 7 frame and a 4 frame? Does the belly touch the grass at times? What about navigating through water. Are their legs long enough to touch bottom? Do they have as much leverage to walk up a creek bank?

Now you're catching on! The only difference between the two is the distance between their belly and the ground, and you can't eat the air! Well, they're so fat, sometimes they waddle, but other than that, they do good. A having so much heart girth and volume, I'm sure that they could float. :D

I'm sorry but to say that the only difference is height is highly misleading. Kit ran plenty of bulls through the ring with ~350lb 205 day weights.

HS was joking a little and for some of it, so was I. Please give me a lot# and pedigree on those bulls. I'm inclined to call BS on that statement. If you're gonna be so picky on Kit's stuff, I'm gonna need proof, not just your opinion.

blackcowz":2nvije0k said:
HS was joking a little and for some of it, so was I. Please give me a lot# and pedigree on those bulls. I'm inclined to call BS on that statement. If you're gonna be so picky on Kit's stuff, I'm gonna need proof, not just your opinion.

You are very perceptive. Keep up your good work!

You're calling B.S on the 350lb ww statement? They lead off the sale with and retained semen interest in a 370lb ww bull.

Lot 81 had a 282 lb ww and sold for $2,500. We had a calf like that one time but it was a bottle calf that had a battle with pneumonia.

Third Row":auyk0z6n said:
You're calling B.S on the 350lb ww statement? They lead off the sale with and retained semen interest in a 370lb ww bull.

Lot 81 had a 282 lb ww and sold for $2,500. We had a calf like that one time but it was a bottle calf that had a battle with pneumonia.
OK, glad you let me know. Very sorry for calling BS on that statement. I'm glad someone is paying attention because I obviously was not! :dunce: The reason I was so sure of myself is because out lightest one weighed in at with an adjusted 205 day 468lbs. And she was a heifer too. My sincere apologies. Very sorry about that.

468 is a completely reasonable low end of a grass fed calf crop (or creep fed for that matter). I just have a hard time taking a program seriously when a 280 lb bull calf keeps his nuts at weaning.

I don't know if I've said it, but I stand behind MOST of Kit's philosophies and SOME of his cattle. I'm a livestock judging kid, and I can pick both good ones and some pretty bad ones out of Kit's sale. I sure don't mind looking at using "other" cattle :D or other ways of doing things. I try to raise the best cattle that fit my environment, and most of the stuff Kit offered at his previous sales was a good place to get a herd base started. I don't mean to sound pushy or stuck up, I just like defending my cattle. Sorta like every other man proud of his livestock. :cowboy: Thanks for keeping me humble. Goodnight. :tiphat:

Latest posts