2007 Club calves

Help Support CattleToday:

iowahawkeyes

Reaction score
We need a new topic of discussion on this board.

Do you raise your own club calves or buy them?

What are your calves going to be out of this year? We used Bold Statement, Hairy, Heat Seeker, Sun Seeker, Taz, Double Vision, Northern Lite, Grand Slam, Embracer and Kilo.

Iowa are any of the bulls you used carriers fot TH or PHA . What are your thoughts on the diseases? I don't specifically go after the clubby market if a good one happens so be it. The club calf thing isn't as big a market as in the US. There are some clubby breeders but most do it as a side line to a purebred outfit.

We raise ours. (we started out buying, of course) This year we used Sin City (shorthorn) and About Time for club calves and some shorthorns. For simmies we used Dream On. And we used BR Midland (I think thats the one)on a couple angus. Otherwise the rest were bred using our bulls.

we buy ours not enought land to breed our own. current calves out of black rhino, jazz, blackjack, and irish whiskey

skcatlman":5cq5m24w said:
Iowa are any of the bulls you used carriers fot TH or PHA . What are your thoughts on the diseases? I don't specifically go after the clubby market if a good one happens so be it. The club calf thing isn't as big a market as in the US. There are some clubby breeders but most do it as a side line to a purebred outfit.

Bold Statement and Hairy are free. Double Vision is a carrier. I don't like either one of the defects, but we don't have many potential carrier cows in the herd.

http://members.boardhost.com/showsteers ... 552996.top
Here is a partial list of carriers.

i have a clubbie heifer that i plan on breeding her after summer and i am looking for a lowbirth weight bull......i heard kadabra is a lightweight bull.....i was also thinking of bold statement.....give me any feedback on these bulls or any others ones you have had success with on first calf heifers

Richburg

Use BK Power Plus on your show heifer. We have a Power Plus son that we use for breeding and he throws the smallest calves and they are nice calves. We will be showing some of them at the May prospect show in Arcadia and then you can see how they look. They come smaller than the calves out of our Angus bull.

We buy some and breed some we have a maine bull out of BK Power Plus and we have a shorthorn bull out of CF Fortune and we are buying another shorthorn bull out CCC Gold Rush, plus we have an Angus bull and Charolas bull.

:help: What is TH and PHA?

I was looking in a Beef catalog and saw that mentioned in the club calf bull section.

Thanks for the reply.

iowahawkeyes":punpg33b said:
skcatlman":punpg33b said:

Bold Statement and Hairy are free. Double Vision is a carrier. I don't like either one of the defects, but we don't have many potential carrier cows in the herd.

You do realize that the calves you receive out of that mating have a very high chance of being carriers, right?

jaydill":24i0w0n6 said:
iowahawkeyes":24i0w0n6 said:
skcatlman":24i0w0n6 said:

You do realize that the calves you receive out of that mating have a very high chance of being carriers, right?

Are you refering to me? I realize the calf could be a carrier and will mate accordingly if it's a heifer.

SKF Show Cattle":3r73dnte said:
Use BK Power Plus on your show heifer. We have a Power Plus son that we use for breeding and he throws the smallest calves and they are nice calves. We will be showing some of them at the May prospect show in Arcadia and then you can see how they look. They come smaller than the calves out of our Angus bull.

We buy some and breed some we have a maine bull out of BK Power Plus and we have a shorthorn bull out of CF Fortune and we are buying another shorthorn bull out CCC Gold Rush, plus we have an Angus bull and Charolas bull.

BK Power Plus is a PHA carrier, I would think about that mating, especially on female of Maine persausion. Don't ever go for the homerun with a heifer, she is still growing and needs to have an easy first year.

karlie45":11ne585x said:
We raise ours. (we started out buying, of course) This year we used Sin City (shorthorn) and About Time for club calves and some shorthorns. For simmies we used Dream On. And we used BR Midland (I think thats the one)on a couple angus. Otherwise the rest were bred using our bulls.

were thinkin about using Sin City on a shorthorn heifer we have and we've heard he isnt very good for easy calving and getting the showy look that want. what do you know about him?

and those pics iowahawkeyes are terrible!! that is sssoo sad. i would never want to take a chance having one of my bulls carring that. i dont think i could take it having a calf being born like that. :cry:

cattleluvr18":456qls4b said:
karlie45":456qls4b said:

were thinkin about using Sin City on a shorthorn heifer we have and we've heard he isnt very good for easy calving and getting the showy look that want. what do you know about him?

and those pics iowahawkeyes are terrible!! that is sssoo sad. i would never want to take a chance having one of my bulls carring that. i dont think i could take it having a calf being born like that. :cry:

I would not use Sin City. Some people will say he is easy calving. People say that about every bull. Use a true easy calving bull. We don't really use a lot of shorthorn on heifers, so I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending anything purebred.

The way i see it we have enough problems in the cattle business without breeding in genetic diseases. These carriers should be eliminated, nobody can tell me that carrier bulls won't have daughters kept back. I have seen genetics diseases like this in other breeds arthrogryposis in charolais for example. The best thing to do is to destroy all carrier bulls and make it manditory for testing and disclosure of results on bulls who semen is marketed on. The show ring is one thing but breeding this crap on purpose is another. Yes you can be careful about not mating cariiers together. But somone might not disclose selling female carriers to an unsuspecting client.

We had a Sin City born last April and he was #100, I would not use him on a heifer. However, he does have a good show look and is growing like crazy.

Latest posts