2003 Ford V10 or 2001 Ford Diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

shutskytj

Reaction score
2003 Ford F-350 XLT

85K, Black w/ gray interior, 4 Wheel Drive, 4dr quad Cab, 5 Passenger, Automatic Transmission, Cruise Control, Factory CD, Bedliner, Towing Package, 6.8 Triton v10, Cold Air Conditioning,

Carfax Certified

RUNS & DRIVES LIKE NEW !

This truck can be seen 7 days a week at Shamrock Motors 1840 Memorial Drive Chicopee, MA 01020. We are a just a few miles past the world famous Huke Lau on the South side of Memorial Drive.

2001 Ford SuperDuty Crew cab 7.3 Powerstroke. XLT, Long Bed, Stereo with Sub, Speakers & amps, 35 inch BFG tires, Chrome wheels, leveling kit, chrome rocker pannels and fender guards, billit grill. Very well taken care of, emaculent inside. 88K miles.

Ok guys and gals I need your honest opionion I have been shopping awhile and need advice, for the 2003 they want 11,000 and the 2001 they want 14,700. The 2003 was used hard, big dent in tailgate and scratches it was a corporate vehicle

Never had a V10, but had 1996 7.3 and have had good luck with it. I would still stay with a diesel even with the higher price of diesel now. IMHO the diesel will give you longer service than the gasoline.

Don't discount the V10, it's a good engine. I get about 12mpg on mine, puttering around the place and running to town on the weekends to get feed and stuff. As far as fuel consumption goes, I think it's about a wash. 12mpg at $3 per gallon is 25 cents per mile. What does a diesel get? about 16mpg average? 16mpg at $3.85 a gallon is 24 cents per mile.

The V10 should be good for around 250k miles from what I've been told by others who have them, mine has 120k and doing fine.

Edited because I didn't read the original post correctly.

I have a Ford V-10 gas engine. 10 mpg.
They are very good engines. I never lack for power. Maximum load for me is maybe 12000 on the bumper hitch. It would pull more.
Maintenance is lower. Fuel is lower. Purchase price is lower. The Ford V-10 is a lot of motor for the money. And rare.
I use my 4wd and venture out in the pasture from time to time. The V-10 is 4-6 hundred pounds lighter on the front end, compared to a diesel. That, for me, is often the difference between driving home and walking home.
The V-10 is a premium choice, a motor ford spent a lot of money to develop, and then abandoned. Apparently, it was more profitable to sell diesels.
10 mpg sucks. But, I owned a 460 and it wouldn't do better than 9. And if gasoline is less expensive, the mileage difference cancels.
Price fuel and air filters for the diesel. Expensive. If you don't change the filters, you will cook that motor. Higher purchase price and higher maintenace cost and higher fuel, all those are diesel advantages.
Now, possibly the diesel will last a bit longer. They might show an advantage after 15 yrs. But, you have to pay for a truck in 3-7 yrs.
I'm not won to the diesel side, yet.
I'm still a fan of the gasoline motor for the "working man" pick up truck. Biggest one available.

I sure can agree with this now that diesel is about a dollar more than gas per gallon. Oil and filter, fuel filter change = $150.00 for the Diesel version. Gasoline version maintenance much cheaper, fuel filter don't cost $50.00 or so and don't need to be changed as often. Diesel engine = higher cost in maintenance, not meaning worn out engine, just regular maintenance. Higher cost in fuel, figure the cpm. Diesel engine is more cost per mile than the gasoline counterpart and is heavier on the front end, causing more wear on front end components, and deeper sinking into the mud, stuck more often. I'd have to go with the gasoline version. :wave:

But factor in the resale value of the vehicle that cost more and had higher value because of the diesel engine. There is a difference there to consider. Not that the diesel engine is worth more to you, but that the diesel engine adds resell value to the vehicle that the gasoline engine don't.

:help: :clap:

2001 Ford SuperDuty Crew cab 7.3 Powerstroke. XLT, Long Bed, Stereo with Sub, Speakers & amps, 35 inch BFG tires, Chrome wheels, leveling kit, chrome rocker pannels and fender guards, billit grill. Very well taken care of, emaculent inside. 88K miles.

Ok guys and gals I need your honest opionion I have been shopping awhile and need advice, for the 2003 they want 11,000 and the 2001 they want 14,700. The 2003 was used hard, big dent in tailgate and scratches it was a corporate vehicle
shutskytj
Trail Boss

Judging between these two trucks, I'd go with the 2001. Sounds like someone had this truck to ride around and be cool, probably never worked hard or pulled much.
The 2003 sounds like it's been punished and alot of life taken out of it. The thing about company trucks is theres too many buts that sat in that seat with little responsibility for the wear an tear.

Extra Cab,8ft bed,V-10,auto,4wd,58K mi,PW,PL,cd,cass,bedliner,new brakes rotors,recent tires.well cared for, used on a small farm. This is the truck I am actually going with for 13,500. For the price and everything this is the best deal I found. Thanks for all who replied

Well, I'm a diesel man but given the 35 inch tires on the 01 I suspect it has a lift kit and who knows what else on it. What do you plan to do with it? If you plan to pull any gooseneck trailers I suspect you will have a height problem. Won't be cheap to lower it back down either.

I hate to say it but with the price of diesel, I would go with the gas motored 03.

Latest posts